N/A exhaust options

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

92legacy-sti
First Gear

N/A exhaust options

Post by 92legacy-sti »

I've been looking to get a new muffler for my 92 n/a since the old one is now getting a rust hole in it. I figured since it needs replaced, i could try to bring out the boxer sound a bit. I wanted to find one that looks kinda stock and wasn't obnoxiosly loud, but has a good deep tone. After trying to research it some, I heard about the Flowmaster 60 series for imports. I thought about trying it out. Has anyone ever tried one of these? Any other ideas on a good muffler?

Thanks
1992 Legacy. 142,000 miles.
SubyFusion
Second Gear

Re: N/A exhaust options

Post by SubyFusion »

Flowmaster is one of the worst flowing exhausts, try magnaflow or dynomax mufflers.
1992 Legacy L (AWD )(5MT)[2.5RS Trans] EJ22T Swap in Progress
92legacy-sti
First Gear

Post by 92legacy-sti »

Thanks for the reply. So I looked at the magnaflow website and their universial mufflers. They seem to be what I'm looking for. They look stock and the videos i've seen don't sound obnoxiously loud. They have several different case sizes though. Would a larger case and smaller pipe diameter make it quieter? I'm looking for one that is somewhat quiet untill I get on it some.
1992 Legacy. 142,000 miles.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

The size of the rest of the system will have an effect on the volume as well. If you keep the rest of the exhaust stock and just replace the muffler, it shouldn't be too loud, regardless of the size of muffler.
I can report that a n/a Legacy w/ an otherwise stock exhaust and no muffler isn't that loud.
I can also say, however, that a full 3" system (on a turbo motor) w/ a 3" magnaflow was loud enough that I took it off. It sounded good, but was always loud regardless of engine load.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
Xelirex
In Neutral

Post by Xelirex »

I am running the oem exhaust pipe all the way with an Apexi N1 tip on my '92 N/A legacy and I have had a neighbor complain at 5am because I woke them up starting my car.
1992 Subaru Legacy sedan L (Green), Garage whore
1992 Subaru Legacy sedan L, bad tranny (White), lawn ornament
1991 Nissan Sentra R.I.P
2001 Pontiac GrandPrixGT Supercharged, R.I.P. ;_;
major_tom
In Neutral

Post by major_tom »

I'm also interested in taking care of my rusty muffler in the next 1k miles. Anyone know what the stock pipe diameter / exhaust size is for shopping purposes? And will exhausts built for the GC Impreza fit?
'92 L Wagon "the Yeti" - 295k mi and still running!

Turbo wheels n' Pirelli P6s / KYB GR2s / EBC Greenstuff pads + rotors / Walbro 255 / Apex'i airbox filter
Danteandsoob
First Gear

Post by Danteandsoob »

major_tom wrote:I'm also interested in taking care of my rusty muffler in the next 1k miles. Anyone know what the stock pipe diameter / exhaust size is for shopping purposes? And will exhausts built for the GC Impreza fit?
I just fitted a glass pack with an adapter coupling, and the stock OD size it something around 1-7/8 or 1-15/16
Some god-awful number, I know. But I put a 2" coupling will work ( 2" is NOT in anyway perfect, but I'm cheap and I made it work :lol: )

As for the GC Impreza's, the stock muffler I'm pretty sure is too short, so some custom fabrication is needed.
I'm pretty sure I'm right on the GC stuff, if anyone wants to correct me.
- '93 Metallic Blue Legacy L, DD w/lots of mods
- '91 Mazda Miata, Autox fun car
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Here are pics of an aftermarket GC muffler on my Legacy

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=640
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
1stGenFlyin_Hayn
In Neutral

Post by 1stGenFlyin_Hayn »

I'm running an apexi tip on my 93 n/a and it's nothing near quiet.
Would rather has a full catback. They sound so much cleaner than just a tip