Flex Joints, Stay Stiff or Flex ?

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

CFK
Second Gear

Flex Joints, Stay Stiff or Flex ?

Post by CFK »

So I will be installing 3" TBE soon and the ? is whether to install a flex joint or not ?

I know there is not as much of an issue with the boxer motor and vibration but is it still a good idea to have one anyway ? Has anybody feel that they have cracked there downpipe due to not having one ?

I just purchased a Megan WRX Bellmouth downpipe and was thinking of moving the mounting tab so it will bolt up to the tranny as well to stabilize it, then installing a flex joint just downstream of the DP flange.

I think it's a good idea, necessary. Not sure ? I guess Group N motor and tranny mounts would definitely help as well.

Opinions would be appreciated, Thanks. :-)
Build Thread : HERE
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
84 Jetta Coupe. Real Project
99 A4 Avant. Wife's Daily
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: Flex Joints, Stay Stiff or Flex ?

Post by kimokalihi »

Mine doesn't have one and I haven't seen many people who do.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

That's what I thought, but after breaking a $550 Tri-Y header on my Jetta I was gonna try and do things right this time. Although that was a stupid ball and socket end that I had to overtighten to seal which therefore collapsed eventually :smt013

Then when I called the local parts place for a High flow cat qoute they said there was 2 different flex joints, one for NA & one for a boosted car which was a stronger unit to withstand hogher temps. Obviously being more, priced at $75 I just don't think it's worth it if not necessary.

Although I might just order a cheaper one I found for $35 off 034 Motorsport when I order the extremely hard to find " Tight" Radius 2" silicone elbow for my TMIC re-install.
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I wouldn't bother with it. Waste of money. My setup is 3" bellmouth which bolts to a solid one piece 3" exhaust all the way back.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Alright, what about the proper tranny mount, does yours bold up ? or forget about that, just bolted to the turbo and hangers on the rest ? Possibly some extended hangers maybe, depending on my rocket rally exhaust fitment.
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I'm almost positive mine is just hanging on the hangers. You're not going to crack anything. The header is bolted to the up pipe which is bolted to the turbo and the downpipe is bolted to the turbo as well and the turbo is bolted to the block/head. Bolting it to the trans would be a good idea but I'm not worried about mine.
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Ya, was just worried about the side to side when going over bumps. Maybe I should have gotten one with a cast bellmouth, the stainless seems pretty thin. For the sake of quickly cutting and tacking a bracket I think I will. Probably won't bother with the flex joint then.

Thanks for the help :smt045
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily