WRX franken-exhaust on an N/A

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

coffeeman885
First Gear

WRX franken-exhaust on an N/A

Post by coffeeman885 »

I am planning to do a EJ20G swap next winter so I am not dumping a lot of money into the EJ22. That being said I am trying to get as much power as I can from it without really spending much money. From what I understand WRXs have 2.25 diameter tubing. I know that they are basically a good fit for the Legacys other than the length. If I lengthened the tubing and threw on a cheap muffler (like a universal Dynomax) would I get any power gains? I am rallyxing and I need torque more than anything. Would this be worth the trouble or should I just get said muffler in a smaller inlet dia. and call it a day. It wouldn't really do anything other than let a little of the boxer noise out but it's $30 so...
Speed limits are like herpes - once you get them you will never be rid of them. - Jeremy Clarkson

'94 Legacy L Wagon "Bluella"
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: WRX franken-exhaust on an N/A

Post by Legacy777 »

You only mentioned it in your title, but to clarify, is this a non-turbo motor?

Are you looking to swap just the axle back muffler section or the whole exhaust? The stock WRX muffler really isn't going to help the engine breathe much better. You'd be better off going with an aftermarket muffler IMO.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
coffeeman885
First Gear

Post by coffeeman885 »

Thank you. That is what I though I just wanted a second opinion.
Speed limits are like herpes - once you get them you will never be rid of them. - Jeremy Clarkson

coffeeman885
First Gear

Post by coffeeman885 »

What would be the best cheap muffler to put on this thing? I don't really want to put that much into it because I am hopefully only on this engine for a year. I don't want it to be loud just a little more boxery. The stock muffler makes it sound like it has a cold.