muffler suggestions (newbi)

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

josh_90_leg
In Neutral

muffler suggestions (newbi)

Post by josh_90_leg »

So my Brother just bought a 93 legacy N/A non turbo, he wants it to have that "subie" sound, but he also aint got much wiggle room with money. Would just a $50-$70 muffler do it or do you need a full exhaust to achieve the rumble? what mufflers would you guys suggest?
SUBYLUV871
Second Gear

Re: muffler suggestions (newbi)

Post by SUBYLUV871 »

i got a magnaflow copy, made by them but they dont stamp it. $47 2 1/4 sound good too. offet inlet center outlet. with a 8 inch tip so it sends the sound out not under the car. Image Image good luck with the search
Cheep quality aint good, Good quality aint cheep
1998 legacy l wagon
1988 ford ranger prerunner (my baby
)
1994 legacy GT non turbo wagon
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

An NA wont have much of a subject rumble no matter what you do
josh_90_leg
In Neutral

Post by josh_90_leg »

thanks subielove
and apex, i have an NA legacy 90, and it has a very nice subie rumble...idk whats all done to the exhaust cuz i bought it this way.
SUBYLUV871
Second Gear

Post by SUBYLUV871 »

n/a = auto right? just guessing. dumb question i know.
1998 legacy l wagon
)
turbo-baron
In Neutral

Post by turbo-baron »

N/A = Naturally Asperated/Non Turbo or... Poo Poo. Go with a straight through style Magnaflow. It'll give you the sound you're looking for. Or run no muffler with a boom tube if you really want some sound....
josh_90_leg
In Neutral

Post by josh_90_leg »

when you say go straight through style magnaflow, what you mean a full exhaust? i dont think my bro wants to put that much into it...
SUBYLUV871
Second Gear

Post by SUBYLUV871 »

I think hes saying a non chaneled style so it goes streight through . like a dirt bike exhaust, but still has a core with packing around it. like flowmaster has chanels to go through.
1998 legacy l wagon
)
jrbump
In Neutral

Post by jrbump »

my 93 is running on 3Cyl so i got crazy rumbles and squeaks while the car shakes at idle.
Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

Post by Bheinen74 »

I am going to put a screaming eagle exhaust for a harley on my Brat. straight thru lol.
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 4eat
91crx si 165k
91 Civic RT4WD manual trans 168k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

josh_90_leg wrote:thanks subielove
and apex, i have an NA legacy 90, and it has a very nice subie rumble...idk whats all done to the exhaust cuz i bought it this way.
I've heard NA Subarus with a little bit of rumble, but no matter what you do it won't sound like anything turbo.
chunkbass
In Neutral

Post by chunkbass »

Sorry,I have no idea
SUBYLUV871
Second Gear

Post by SUBYLUV871 »

mine has a rumble but its far from honda sounding. you can tell its a suby.
1998 legacy l wagon
)
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

My N/A has more rumble than my turbo legacy. But the turbo still has stock exhaust and stock intake. My N/A does not.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
cal_look_zero
In Neutral

Post by cal_look_zero »

You need about $400 minimum to get the boxer rumble. It has nothing to do with the turbo vs NA unless you care about rumble rumblerumBLERUMBLERUMBLE WHOOOOOOSH.

The rumble is caused by using an unequal length header, minimal muffler interference, and a resonator of some sort. You can do any sort of muffler or straight pipe on a stock header and it will just sound like an I4 with a misfire.

And yes, you can make even a 2.2 sound like a pissed off WRX with the right exhaust. Just today I ran out of my garage to see what big bad Subi was driving by, only to have a stock looking 1st gen OBS drive by.
2006 Honda CBR600RR 39k miles
2003 Mitusbishi Montero Sport LS AWD 121k miles
1992 Subaru Loyale Wagon EA82 4WD 5 Speed 333k miles
1991 Subaru Legacy L Wagon EJ22 AWD 5 Speed 240k miles
1979 Suzuki GS850GN 48k miles
1973 Ford F100 302ci 2WD 69k miles
speezly
Second Gear

Post by speezly »

Walker sound fx muffler @ rockauto.com - 95.99 plus shipping. i am looking to replace my stock exhaust as well, and this was the most cost effective direct replacement. Blitz makes a really sweet Nur spec S muffler (jdmultimate.com) but that sheet is like 4 hundo. Im going to buy the walker for a hundred bucks and a highflow cat for 63.27 @ jdmhub.com
93 Legacy l AWD 5mt
87 GL-10 Turbo 5mt
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

cal_look_zero wrote:You need about $400 minimum to get the boxer rumble. It has nothing to do with the turbo vs NA unless you care about rumble rumblerumBLERUMBLERUMBLE WHOOOOOOSH.

The rumble is caused by using an unequal length header, minimal muffler interference, and a resonator of some sort. You can do any sort of muffler or straight pipe on a stock header and it will just sound like an I4 with a misfire.

And yes, you can make even a 2.2 sound like a pissed off WRX with the right exhaust. Just today I ran out of my garage to see what big bad Subi was driving by, only to have a stock looking 1st gen OBS drive by.
A turbo has a LOT to do with the exhaust sound. It can rumble sure, but it will not sound like a WRX, you are deaf if you think it does. A turbo car sounds different from an NA car, period, doesn't matter if it's a Subaru or not.
cal_look_zero
In Neutral

Post by cal_look_zero »

Apex3 wrote:
cal_look_zero wrote:You need about $400 minimum to get the boxer rumble. It has nothing to do with the turbo vs NA unless you care about rumble rumblerumBLERUMBLERUMBLE WHOOOOOOSH.

A turbo has a LOT to do with the exhaust sound. It can rumble sure, but it will not sound like a WRX, you are deaf if you think it does. A turbo car sounds different from an NA car, period, doesn't matter if it's a Subaru or not.

Damn, really? I guess all those 2.5 Imprezas and Legos in the local Subi club were really hiding turbos somewhere because they sure sounded good to me. Then again, I'm probably just deaf. I guess a couple of the WRX/STi guys are deaf too since they would occasionally mistake a NA for a turbo.

Is there good money in being an audiologist/otolygist?
2006 Honda CBR600RR 39k miles
2003 Mitusbishi Montero Sport LS AWD 121k miles
1992 Subaru Loyale Wagon EA82 4WD 5 Speed 333k miles
1991 Subaru Legacy L Wagon EJ22 AWD 5 Speed 240k miles
1979 Suzuki GS850GN 48k miles
1973 Ford F100 302ci 2WD 69k miles
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

when i had my STi muffler on my bone stock 01 OBS... it sounded JUST like my 04 STi at idle and when on the gas.
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

There's no point in arguing this anymore because frankly, I don't give a shit.