NA Dual Port Headers?

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Brisky
First Gear

NA Dual Port Headers?

Post by Brisky »

Ok, so I am a new owner of a 93 Legacy L 5 speed, AWD.
I was looking at the headers on the car and they appear to be dual port headers, and strangely looked like they were equal length (could be wrong though).

Anyways, I was looking to replace the whole exhaust system starting with the headers and then mounting to an STi catback.

I searched and got mixed feedback on whether new headers was a good idea at all.
It's a non-turbo engine, so there would not be any loss to the turbo.

I was suggested that if it fits to buy these guys.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-2005-SUBAR ... e%3ASubaru

Any feed back is appreciated.
Thanks guys. =)
Brian

2001 Legacy GT - Sedan - White - Manual

18inch TSW Wheels, Federal SS-595 Tires, Centriic Rotors, Stoptech Brake Pads, STi Exhaust, & Torque Solutions Shifter bushings
Baddog
Second Gear

Re: NA Dual Port Headers?

Post by Baddog »

Those will not bolt up to the cat pipe section. You would need a "J" cat pipe section from a 95-05 Subaru.

Then I believe your catback would have to be modified. I am going to be doing this shortly to the girlfriends car.
1996 Subaru Legacy L
1993 Subaru Legacy SS
1992 Subaru Legacy L
1990 Subaru Legacy L
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Exhaust-Sil ... es&vxp=mtr This is the one I have on my car and run total different from stock exhaust. Bolts up and mounts on the same mounting bracket on trans. only mod you need to do is to shorten or have a new pipe built for the center pipe. also use springs and and bolts to hold the donut flange together.I didn't and broke the bracket on trans.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
Brisky
First Gear

Post by Brisky »

rallyak wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Exhaust-Sil ... es&vxp=mtr This is the one I have on my car and run total different from stock exhaust. Bolts up and mounts on the same mounting bracket on trans. only mod you need to do is to shorten or have a new pipe built for the center pipe. also use springs and and bolts to hold the donut flange together.I didn't and broke the bracket on trans.
Ooh wow. $275 is steep for headers. I was hoping to find ones in the $150 range.
Good to know though that I need the 95-05 2.5 RS headers.

What is the donut flange? That where the headers mount to the exhaust at the second cat?
Brian

18inch TSW Wheels, Federal SS-595 Tires, Centriic Rotors, Stoptech Brake Pads, STi Exhaust, & Torque Solutions Shifter bushings
Brisky
First Gear

Post by Brisky »

Baddog wrote:Those will not bolt up to the cat pipe section. You would need a "J" cat pipe section from a 95-05 Subaru.

Then I believe your catback would have to be modified. I am going to be doing this shortly to the girlfriends car.
They look the same as the OBX that rallyak suggested.
They are for the same year range too.

Would they mount up to an STi exhaust catback?
I assume some modifications will have to be made, but those should mount to the engine portion just fine right?

How about these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAINLESS-RACIN ... 27c018827c
Brian

rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

Yes between the two cats. As for the outher set it should bolt up but not sure of any clearance issues and also need to bulid a pipe with o2 bung and a bracket to keep it from vibration. Any route you go you will need to mod a pipe to match what you are going to. Thats why a went with the OBX brand almost direct bolt in with 2 o2 bungs (rear one pluged) and bracket and the outlet was pointing the right direction. I also like the equal lenth headers versus unequal like the outher pair in question. may be someone here has tried these and has more insight.
Charles

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Pretty much any of the non-turbo headers meant for the 2.5 RS should bolt up to the 2.2 engine. As noted, the modification comes when you have to hook it up to the mid-pipe.

OBX is a pretty known brand name, and it has been shown that equal length headers on these motors does increase power. If you can swing the cost, I'd probably go for the OBX. Even if you went with the other ones, you're still going to have some fab costs at a muffler shop.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
1993legacy
In Neutral

Post by 1993legacy »

will these headers fit mt 1993 subaru awd L sedan? http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Stainless-S ... 5113320599 please help!?
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

yes. the same on my 90 5mt wagon
Charles