Poor mans wanna be equal length headers for N/A

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

1994BC
In Neutral

Poor mans wanna be equal length headers for N/A

Post by 1994BC »

$35 so far and looking to be ~$60 total to finish the whole exhaust.
I'm going to run 2.25" all the way, reuse the stock muffler, and may or may not omit the second cat. depending on how this sounds.
2nd Gen. header trimmed, 1.75" to (right side 2" for near 90 degree bend to collector) 3" collector eventually to 2.25" with omitted cat.

1.75" to (right side 2" for near 90 degree bend to collector) 3" collector eventually to 2.25" with omitted cat.
The 1.75" coming from the head's are equal length once meeting the collector and meet dead center under the transmission.
This is just the mock up,more pipe to be cut and welding. This will bolt up to the second cat's. flange for easy swapping.

Last edited by 1994BC on Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
1994BC
In Neutral

Re: Poor mans wanna be equal length headers for N/A

Post by 1994BC »

Taking out the lip from the inner pipe

1994BC
In Neutral

Post by 1994BC »

Finished for now. Please excuse the unsightly leak. Looks worse than the 1/4 quart it leaks in 3000 miles.

o2 placement. At best 5 degrees off center but now heat up time is significantly less. Stock cold take several minuted to heat. Figured with the air flow in such an exposed area overheating would not me an issue.

Lastly a different angle with more bubble gum exposure.

Couple tacks after placement where the 2.25' meets the 2' at cat. and I've been very pleased thus far.

No more small exhaust leaks, shield rattle, smoother throttle response with low end pick up improved.
Gas mileage checks out 31mpg when not flogging it out. When at any cruising speed exhaust noise cant be noted.
Pulling above 2k lets on a subtle hint something healthy is there wanting. While creeping to 3k only makes you want more.
No ricer sound just a well muffled boxer growl. I'll see to recording some audio/video.

Total cost $35
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Very nice work. Looks like some shiny new axles. I could use some new axles.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Nice work! Where did you get the materials?
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
1994BC
In Neutral

Post by 1994BC »

kimokalihi wrote:Very nice work. Looks like some shiny new axles. I could use some new axles.
Thx. Advanced Auto Parts had them at decent price for $70 with lifetime warranty. Holding onto the old on to rebuild.
beatersubi wrote:Nice work! Where did you get the materials?
Thx. Local muffler shop within walking distance from the condo. Neighbors love watching me weld and swap engines in the parking lot :roll:
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Can you try your best to measure from the flange on each side to where they join? I'm curious how equal this design is (and might copy it)
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Is that an actual pre-fabbed collector, or did you build it? What does the rest of the exhaust consist of?
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
1994BC
In Neutral

Post by 1994BC »

ciper wrote:Can you try your best to measure from the flange on each side to where they join? I'm curious how equal this design is (and might copy it)
Your looking at ~0.25" difference at most hints the poor mans equal length headers.

beatersubi wrote:Is that an actual pre-fabbed collector, or did you build it? What does the rest of the exhaust consist of?
No pre-fab just a solid 4lb hammer, 3" pipe and cement.

Take off, then you hear a Chevy 2500 6.0l drive by at 60mph, a Chevy suv thing, my friend bored with a mic and myself pulling up hill in second in the distance then running out 3rd gear to 95mph drive by.

Audio clip. best heard with headphones.

Enjoy :)

http://tinypic.com/m/fepifq/1
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

Sounds good. Nice work.

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Can you take a picture of the area where it runs under the front differential? Some autos have the drain plug in the center and others have it on the side and I want to see if it interferes.