Replaced exhaust seal but water is still dripping out.

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

monkeyposeur
First Gear

Replaced exhaust seal but water is still dripping out.

Post by monkeyposeur »

I replaced the exhaust seal on my SS where the downpipe meets the long pipe (is that the axleback or catback? still learning). There are two spring bolts that hold the two bits together. I tightened the new spring bolts as far as they can go but it still leaks and it is the only thing keeping me from passing safety.

Water is dripping out the seal towards the muffler. I am pretty sure I have the seal installed in its correct orientation. The tapered end is going into the downpipe and the flat end is going into the 'long pipe'. However, it appears that the gap on the bottom of the flanges is slightly less than that of the top. Perhaps I should loosen both bolts and try to crank the exhaust down so I get a completely even gap all around? I wouldn't think that getting the gap uniform all around would be so critical to getting a good seal. It's not off by much, maybe two or three millimeters at the most.

Should I get a new seal and try again or what? Thanks.
93 SS - SOLD
03 WRX 22T/205 20GXT 350 whp
06 OBXT
95 BK - Sold to my neighbor.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: Replaced exhaust seal but water is still dripping out.

Post by kimokalihi »

Axle back is from the rear axles back. Catback is from the downpipe back because the cat is in the downpipe. The pipe after the downpipe is the mid pipe.

I never had a problem with that seal on my NA subarus but I know the one you're talking about. It's a strange seal where the pipe is allowed to move to a certain degree because of the springs that are holding the pipes together.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Is this the stock exhaust? If so, I believe the tapered part of that doughnut gasket should face the rear part of the exhaust.

The doughnut gasket should slide on a lip of the down pipe. The mid pipe that mates up to the down pipe should have a rounded entrance which is where the tapered part of the gasket mates to.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
monkeyposeur
First Gear

Post by monkeyposeur »

Yes, it is a stock exhaust. The FSM diagrams support what you are saying. I'll take a look and see if I installed it backwards.

When I installed it I made to install the tapered end of the gasket into the rounded entrance, whichever entrance that was. I thought about it for a bit before I did it, but I am not above making mistakes. IIRC there was a lip on the mid pipe.

Thanks and I'll take a look and report back.
93 SS - SOLD
06 OBXT
monkeyposeur
First Gear

Post by monkeyposeur »

Today I went to the salvage yard and crawled under a first gen wagon to pull an inhibitor switch. While under there I inspected the exhaust system. I am pretty sure I installed my doughnut backwards.

I would always prefer to find a mistake I made instead of not finding out anything. :)
93 SS - SOLD
06 OBXT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Well hopefully you can just turn it around and be good to go.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

monkeyposeur
First Gear

Post by monkeyposeur »

I didn't install it backwards after all, so I am not as dumb as I look.

I removed the new spring bolts and slid the doughnut off. There was a little bit of the old gasket crud on the down pipe flange so I used a sharp chisel to get it off. I then took some 80 grit sandpaper and sanded the rounded entrance, and the down pipe flange. I took care to tighten each bolt equally in small increments to get the pressure on the gasket even as I tightened them. The gap is even all around now.

Guess what? No more leak! I passed emissions with flying colors today and can finally get my permanent plates! :)

Also I realized that the fuel cap cover says "Premium Fuel Only", so I filled her up with premium. This is only my second tank of gas and it was about empty when I filled it. Do you guys w/EJ22Ts ALWAYS run Premium? I will if I have to, but it's spendy. Maybe it will help with some other minor issues I am having.
93 SS - SOLD
06 OBXT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Glad you got it fixed.

I would recommend always putting premium in your turbo Legacy. If you put in some regular unleaded, I'd maybe suggest resetting the ECU so it gets rid of any learned fuel/knock trims.

Unfortunately, premium fuel is a cost for having a turbo motor :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT