Exhaust work in the Seattle Area

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

2.2TLegacy
First Gear

Post by 2.2TLegacy »

Anyone in the Seattle area know where I could get some under the table exhaust work done? I had to weld in a cat for my car to pass State Inspection (since its a rebuild title) and now I finally want to go catless.

Work would consist of about a 2.5-3 foot section of 3" stainless steel piping with perhaps some very minor bending to make it fit.

Thanks in advance guys.
'93 Stroker T-Leg - Weisco forged internals, 440cc gray tops, VF39, '06 TMIC, EJ20G heads & intake manifold, EJ25 phase 1 crank, JDM STi 5-speed mated to 4.11 lsd rear end
mike-tracy

Re: Exhaust work in the Seattle Area

Post by mike-tracy »

I don't know about Seattle, but if you went to a shop in a county that has towns that not requiring emissions I believe you could do that. I've heard good things about Randys in Arlington. Also, if you have a high flow cat welded in the performance penalty is almost non-existant vs straight pipes from what I've read.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

It's still a federal offense even in non-emissions counties to get a cat removed. Punishable by up to $10,000 per incident if the shop owner is reported to the EPA.

It is possible to find shops that will still do that sort of work, I have in the past (but not near Seattle). That being said, Mike is correct, a modern high flow cat should have no noticeable performance penalty if properly sized for the exhaust system, and there is no regulatory body except CARB in Cali that would have an issue with an aftermarket cat replacing a factory-installed one.
2.2TLegacy
First Gear

Post by 2.2TLegacy »

That was the direction that I was leaning. I found a 100 cell 'race' cat for right around $100 that would work for me. Probably the direction that I will go, just figured I would check if anyone had the ability to do exhaust work in their spare time essentially.
'93 Stroker T-Leg - Weisco forged internals, 440cc gray tops, VF39, '06 TMIC, EJ20G heads & intake manifold, EJ25 phase 1 crank, JDM STi 5-speed mated to 4.11 lsd rear end
northcoast
First Gear

Post by northcoast »

2.2TLegacy wrote:just figured I would check if anyone had the ability to do exhaust work in their spare time essentially.

I'd be interested too. I need my exhaust re-routed from the cat back so it doesn't hang to low and I would like to change it to 2.25 at the same time.
Lifted 91 LS Wagon : SOLD
87 GL-10 Turbo : SOLD
Lifted 97 Impreza OBS
98 Impreza OBS RallyX / DD
lucas
Third Gear

Post by lucas »

Buckeys exhaust shops are always good
1993 legacy ss "Shela"
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

lucas wrote:Buckeys exhaust shops are always good
Except in Everett. The one here is terrible. Also they probably won't de-cat a vehicle as it is against the law and they are a fairly well-known chain store.
northcoast
First Gear

Post by northcoast »

None of the Bucky's will de-cat but they will put in a high flow. As far as install goes it's hit or miss depending on the store.
Lifted 97 Impreza OBS
lucas
Third Gear

Post by lucas »

the one in lakewood put my full system on with no cat never said a word. In which case im am looking to get rid of my muffler and trade someone
1993 legacy ss "Shela"
northcoast
First Gear

Post by northcoast »

What do you have?
Lifted 97 Impreza OBS
lucas
Third Gear

Post by lucas »

I have an element tuning axle back thats 3 inch. looking for a duel tip or something quieter, Got a kid on the way
1993 legacy ss "Shela"
2.2TLegacy
First Gear

Post by 2.2TLegacy »

I've got a Turbo XS standard axle back that I would be willing to part with because I am looking for something louder. Its on the car right now so I would be willing to do a meetup and swap one weekend.
lucas
Third Gear

Post by lucas »

Is it 3 inch?
1993 legacy ss "Shela"
2.2TLegacy
First Gear

Post by 2.2TLegacy »

Yes, with 3.5" tip

http://www.jscspeed.com/catalog/Turbo_X ... 354-1.html

Its the first one on that list.
lucas
Third Gear

Post by lucas »

ya man im down do you have a garage or a place we could do it?
1993 legacy ss "Shela"
2.2TLegacy
First Gear

Post by 2.2TLegacy »

PM'ed you
Dave_J
First Gear

Post by Dave_J »

There's always Stans in Auburn but bring a wheel-barrel of $$$.

When I built my (non Turbo) 84 Shelby Charger with a LOOOONG header I installed a Walker 3 inch SUPER cat. The Dyno test said it picked up a small amount of torque (+2) at 750 to 2000 RPM but was almost no change all the way to 7200 RPM. It was down almost 3 HP across the spread, NO BIGGIE!!! Gained that back with header wrap. The header (1 3/4" X 42" long) had a 3 inch collector, to the 3" Cat and then a long taper Flowmaster 3" to 2.25" reducer and then a Borla Turbo Shelby cat back. It was LOUD! Granny shifting I was getting 40 MPG @ 60 MPH :-D
Retired US ARMY SIGNAL CORP
65 B-Cuda Formula S, 78 Dodge Little Red Express Truck, 08 Suzuki Burgman 650 Super Scooter, 94 Legacy Touring wagon.
subytech
Second Gear

Post by subytech »

mike-tracy wrote:I don't know about Seattle, but if you went to a shop in a county that has towns that not requiring emissions I believe you could do that. I've heard good things about Randys in Arlington. Also, if you have a high flow cat welded in the performance penalty is almost non-existant vs straight pipes from what I've read.
Randys is awsome, he did the exhaust on my RX-7 way back when and it was amazing, made my e-gay mufflers look like shit compaired to his welds lol. I payed him cash and got no receipt for my OFF ROAD USE ONLY custom exhaust ;-) for obvious reasons.
92 Legacy Turbo, 5sp MT, Early Large CC 20G heads, Ported custom clocked td04, Cobb catted DP, Injen SS 3" exhaust, Turbosmart MBC @ 10psi, Apexi 20g intake, custom FMIC, Fidanza 11lb flywheel, stock 05 WRX clutch
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

subytech wrote:Randys is awsome, he did the exhaust on my RX-7 way back when and it was amazing, made my e-gay mufflers look like shit compaired to his welds lol. I payed him cash and got no receipt for my OFF ROAD USE ONLY custom exhaust ;-) for obvious reasons.
Yeah when asking my welder friends who they trust, his name usually came up. I am in need of some welding work, so when I get my robtune, or after christmas (whichever comes first), I'll be there. Was there a waiting list for getting your car in?
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
subytech
Second Gear

Post by subytech »

It was almost 10 years ago when I had my RX-7 there so I dont think I'm up to date on his current wait list lol. But I did make an appointment when I did it so give him a call.
92 Legacy Turbo, 5sp MT, Early Large CC 20G heads, Ported custom clocked td04, Cobb catted DP, Injen SS 3" exhaust, Turbosmart MBC @ 10psi, Apexi 20g intake, custom FMIC, Fidanza 11lb flywheel, stock 05 WRX clutch