Why's smoke coming from this part of the exhaust flange? Pic

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

SaltyBeefCubes
First Gear

Why's smoke coming from this part of the exhaust flange? Pic

Post by SaltyBeefCubes »

OK, so I've had some smoke coming out from underneath the driver side exhaust. It's especially noticeable when the car is idling. I did some research, and came to the conclusion that either the valve cover gasket was leaking or one of those valve cover gasket bolt grommets were leaking and dripping oil onto the exhaust and that was causing the smoke. Well, I changed the valve cover gasket and the grommets and smoke is still continuing to come out. If you look at the pic. The first circle is where it see oil MAYBE pooling up a little, the second circle is where the smoke is coming out from. Is there a chance oil is somehow getting into the exhaust tube itself and then burning inside? Or is the likely just a TON of buildup from the leaky valve cover that will take some time to burn off?

SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Re: Why's smoke coming from this part of the exhaust flange?

Post by SILINC3R »

I would just give it a couple of days and make sure to check the oil. If it keeps up then look deeper.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Why's smoke coming from this part of the exhaust flange?

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, I'd say it's probably build up. Like Tony mentioned, give it a few days to see if it eventually burns off.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm