Downpipe, Open Exhaust

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

drewriviera
First Gear

Downpipe, Open Exhaust

Post by drewriviera »

I have a 91 SS that I have a stainless header on, VF-11 and a completely turbo back stock exhaust except for the fact that both the cats are gutted. It spools really quick, but I was thinking of putting a Tsudo 3 inch downpipe and completely open exhaust all the way back on it. Has anyone run a combo like this? Or very similar? Do you think I would lose power?
Thanks
matt00rs25
First Gear

Downpipe, Open Exhaust

Post by matt00rs25 »

On a turbo car it shouldn't cause you to lose power. I've got a 3 inch turbo back from a wrx modded to fit my 93 legacy. I actually over boost to 14 lbs now and hit fuel cut all the freaking time.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: Downpipe, Open Exhaust

Post by kimokalihi »

Well its going to spool very fast, its a tiny turbo.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

That's fine. You can run 3" DP to 3" straight piping all the way back if you wanted to. Ain't gonna hurt the car one bit. On turbo cars the faster you expel exhaust, the better. The stock downpipe is pretty restrictive. The whole stock exhaust setup actually is, really.
the guy who had the really low winestone SS on the corvette wheels
drewriviera
First Gear

Post by drewriviera »

Well I already WOKE it up when I gutted the cats, it was an almost unrecognizable car at that point. I heard a friend of mine say that he lost power because it needed a little back pressure...mine already hits the fuel cut as it is, I just didn't want to lose any. Especially from the bottom end because it's pretty torquey.
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

Is your friends car turbo? If you went 3" on an N/A motor, it would affect your power and the way the motor performs, but not on a turbo application.
the guy who had the really low winestone SS on the corvette wheels
drewriviera
First Gear

Post by drewriviera »

Yeah my friend actually has a 91 turbo, but his is an automatic. That is the only difference.