pzev exhaust on 94'

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

altron32
In Neutral

pzev exhaust on 94'

Post by altron32 »

so back when i rebuilt my ej22 i installed the new kickout pan and front outlet waterpump in hope to find a used pzev manifold to run on my car. well i finaly got one! things are taking out cats out of warranty so i got my hands on one.

now my plan is to cut off the bad cat right at the collector up front, run a new pipe around and past the crossmember and install a new freeflow cat and O2 bung to match up with the stock location. after that run a flex joint to a vband clamp at my catback.

some input on my plans would be awesome, ill try and get some pics up of said parts and setup.

thanks, garrett.
-Garrett-
subby tech

90' L wagon, 5mt back to stock and SOLD
94' L wagon, 5mt, sti suspension, lgt wheels, re070's
James614
Fourth Gear

Re: pzev exhaust on 94'

Post by James614 »

Is there a benefit to running the pzev manifold over the stock one?
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
altron32
In Neutral

Post by altron32 »

got some pics today off a customer car so u can get an idea of what i got going on, this is a 09' outback i did a wqd40 recall on today (new cat converter and ecm reflash)

heat shields ON

heat shields OFF

so as you can see theres a nice tubular header hiding under all that metal. :-D

shot of the kick out pan and front outlet waterpump

and side shot of mid pipe
-Garrett-
subby tech

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Kinda looks like the n/a JDM manifolds from the late 90s/00's. Kinda cool.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Wow, its really surprising Subaru would go and hide nice tubalar headers under the PZEV modules whilst the STI still has cast manifolds :shock:

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The cast hold and handle higher heat better, that's why the turbo motors still have them.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Yeah, but they aren't baller status. And that's what people who buy new STIs care about.

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

pzev exhaust on 94'

Post by entirelyturbo »

Keep in mind, it's been a few years since I worked at a Subaru dealer, but those are not PZEV headers. Those are just normal headers from any standard 08-up (I think) 4cyl nonturbo Subaru.

The PZEV exhaust is completely different. The headers go straight back, and I think the right one is the long one that also has the midpipe, while the left one just connects to the right one under the transmission somewhere.

In fact, the PZEV cars had single-port heads IIRC, so even the manifold flanges are completely different too.

Also, another word of advice from someone who's worked in parts departments for 10 years now: don't just run off with warranty catalytic converters. The manufacturer will oftentimes call for them back (sometimes months later) and if the parts department can't produce it when they do, your dealership could be stuck paying for the entire warranty claim, labor and all.

Wait until it appears on the warranty scrap list before you grab it for yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

What is pzev?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

Partial Zero Emission Vehicle. More efficient cats and ECM programming.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
altron32
In Neutral

Post by altron32 »

DerFahrer wrote:Keep in mind, it's been a few years since I worked at a Subaru dealer, but those are not PZEV headers. Those are just normal headers from any standard 08-up (I think) 4cyl nonturbo Subaru.

The PZEV exhaust is completely different. The headers go straight back, and I think the right one is the long one that also has the midpipe, while the left one just connects to the right one under the transmission somewhere.

In fact, the PZEV cars had single-port heads IIRC, so even the manifold flanges are completely different too.

Also, another word of advice from someone who's worked in parts departments for 10 years now: don't just run off with warranty catalytic converters. The manufacturer will oftentimes call for them back (sometimes months later) and if the parts department can't produce it when they do, your dealership could be stuck paying for the entire warranty claim, labor and all.

Wait until it appears on the warranty scrap list before you grab it for yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
im a 6year subaru tech, the pzev manifold you talk of is 04'-05' cali cars only, the pics are of 06' to current pzev non fa-fb n/a ej2.5

the manifold i am using came from a customer pay job i did over a year ago, manifold cracked right after collector. i held on to it at work till just a few months ago.

i would NEVER take any warranty return parts home with out waiting till the parts department tossed them out saying they are scrap.

and as far as pzev goes, basically all n/a motors 06' up are baged as pzev.
-Garrett-
subby tech