more power!

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Rembly
First Gear

more power!

Post by Rembly »

I have a 91 2.2. wagon N/A but i want to get more power. was looking into short ram or cold air intake and new exhaust. Im not sure if this is a good place to start or not? trying to avoid a swap or anything major.
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Re: more power!

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-Avoid a short ram. If your looking for more power, especially on a n/a, intake and exhaust are good starting points, but your really not going to get much out of an n/a unless you get internal with the motor.
-K&N air filter for starters.
-Cold air intake. Something that will pull cold air from an outside source like the fender. Cooler air is denser air which will make more power.
-Weight. Minimize as much weight as possible. Weight is generally over looked but for a general rule of thumb, for every 100lb loss, you will gain a tenth in the quarter mile. Not only that, gas mileage goes up, handling improves etc.
-a more free flowing exhaust will help, but with an n/a car, but you don't want to go to big because you will need that back pressure.
-Tune-up's!!! I'm a firm believer in sea foam. Many ways to do it... I always use the PCV to pour it in or you can spray it in through the TB. Good set of spark plugs (ngk) and wires, oil changes etc.
-Diamond coil pack, (if you don't already have one). Or the MSD coil packs from dodge neons will work too, with some small wire modifications.
-Rolling resistance... wheel bearings, rims, tires, etc. will all play a part in power.
-To me, its not all about adding more power, its about balance and making your car more efficient. Hope this helps somewhat!

-Joe
-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book. ~Moog
Rembly
First Gear

Post by Rembly »

very thankful. I just want that extra power so when i floor it to pass or merge it picks up and goes!
whats a coil pack?
what would be a good wheel bearing?

Just got a set of 02 gt wheels and lower profile tire instead steelies.. think that will help?
Rembly
First Gear

Post by Rembly »

furthermore, which set of NGK plugs and wires?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... rom=header
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Check this out. Ignore the part about boost levels of course. ;) http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=634
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-The spark plug topic is very debatable, so I wont get into that, just follow mike-tracy's link.
-About the wheels and tires, lighter is better.
-Coil pack is the black thing that sits on top of your intake manifold, where all four of your spark plug wires connect to.
-Wheel bearings I cant say as I have not needed to replace one yet, but given the fact that our cars are 20+ years old, if you have the extra cash, it may not be a bad idea to replace them.

-Joe
-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book. ~Moog
subaru_styles
Third Gear

Post by subaru_styles »

general tune up. intake, exhaust, insulated manifold spacers, cams, and a PP6
1994 SS "JDM-OEM"

1997 2.5gt wagon, ricebowl, 207 swapped

1999 lifted 2.5gt wagon,"tokyo weekender"

1994 gt wagon, next build

1994 turbo wagon
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

Delta cams (torque grind) and OBX 2.5 headers. My car didn't like cold air intake so I changed it back to stock. Gas mileage dropped to 24 from 27.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
Rembly
First Gear

Post by Rembly »

Joe, just put some sea foam into my gas seemed to make a difference. should i put it in other places?

Rallyak, what brand cold air did you put in?
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

Well, not really a true cold air but this is what I did. K&n panel filter and removed the silencer under the fender and ran ducting to the front to act like a ram air. With it like that it would throw a code 49 improper maf. So I put it all back and no more code 49.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

Rembly wrote:Joe, just put some sea foam into my gas seemed to make a difference. should i put it in other places?
-When I use it I usually put half the can in the tank and the other half in through the pcv valve.
-I get the car nice and hot, get my feeler gauges and pick one that will help the car idle around 2k rpms, (sticking them between the TB and idle screw) pour a whatever amount in at a time without stalling the motor, revving the motor every so often. When the sea foam is almost gone, I pour whatever is left in, killing the motor. Let it sit 15-20 mins then restart the car. Let your car run for a bit till the smoking out the exhaust has calmed down then go take it for a drive putting some good amount of load on your motor, if possible.
-From here on out, you should feel a noticeable difference in your cars performance, driveability, if this has never been done before.

-Joe
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-Here is a video I put together about Seafoam, did this the other day.

http://youtu.be/GkIOXvbPytc

-Joe
Rembly
First Gear

Post by Rembly »

what is that grinding in your video?
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-Nothing is grinding. You're probably hearing the power steering pumps bearing going out.

-Joe
Rembly
First Gear

Post by Rembly »

here's the new intake I have picked: http://www.carid.com/1991-subaru-legacy ... 84922.html

whatcha think?
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Have you purchased it yet? Because if you really want a hot air intake, a welder can make you one of those for under 100. Bend some pipe, drill holes for the MAF and done. Better yet, make it long enough so it sticks into the fender, and becomes a Cold air intake. :)
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Rembly
First Gear

Post by Rembly »

no, I wanted to hear what people on the form had to say about it. I highly value the knowledge offered here.
There is a cold air K&N for 120$? would be easier than what you suggested ^