Catback exhaust?

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

93legacySS
In Neutral

Catback exhaust?

Post by 93legacySS »

Will the o2-07 wrx catback exhaust work? I have a 93 legacy sedan turbo automatic USDM.
mike-tracy

Re: Catback exhaust?

Post by mike-tracy »

It is too short, but a welder could extend the midpipe and move the hangers no problem.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
93legacySS
In Neutral

Post by 93legacySS »

If that's it than sounds good to me. Thanks for answering the questions I have!!
wtdash
Fifth Gear

WRX Exhaust Fitment - cat back axle back

Post by wtdash »

Thread is getting (m)old(y).....but for reference:

I'm working on this w/my '93 SS. I bought an '02 WRX exhaust for $30. It's the mid-pipe w/resonator and axle back.

The mid-pipe needs extended - on both ends- so it'll fit the mid-hanger (unless the hanger is moved too). I added 3.5" to the front by the downpipe (make SURE they 'index' it so it aligns properly!). This pic shows the WRX pipe on top w/the 3.5" added:

At this point it'll bolt up the stock SS axle-back as is.

But the WRX axle back is about 2.5" short (bottom):

So, either the mid-pipe needs extended back or the axle-back needs extended forward.

Additional notes:

The WRX axle-back pipe DIAMETER is SMALLER than the stock SS - Yes, it is! Measured @ ~2.5" for the SS and ~2.25" for the WRX. Look @ the pic. Get an '04-'07 STI axle-back for the bigger 2.5" pipe size.

The rear muffler hangers are too tight - the muffler doesn't hang down enough - and they aren't angled correctly - but I was able to get them to fit...just not well.

And the rear axle-back hanger hits the SS sway bar - I bent it forward to clear, but it's not close to fitting the SS' location.

>>>I'm currently playing 'musical exhausts' as the 3" TBE I have is straight-thru w/a Cobb muffler. TOO LOUD, w/a headache-inducing drone @ 70-75mph / 3k RPM. I'm going to add a Vibrant Quiet Resonator - 3" - and hope it's quiet enough that I don't have to make the WRX fit. As I know I'll give up ~15 HP/TQ based on what I've read online - here's a REVIEW that gives an idea on power....but not worth it if too loud.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
93legacySS
In Neutral

Post by 93legacySS »

I just picked mine up. I just got a ebay 02-07 wrx mid pipe on and a hks axle back muffler all for $90. Mid pipe has a resonator on it already. Going to take it to a muffler shop to get it all on.