dat heat shield rattle

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

major_tom
In Neutral

dat heat shield rattle

Post by major_tom »

OK guys, I know I can't be the only driver on here who's become more than slightly annoyed at the rattly stock exhaust manifold heat shields on our cars that get louder as the miles go by. Mine is harmonic; it only rattles loudly about every 500-750 RPM but at idle, my car sounds like a beater.

After discarding the MacGyver-esque nail, shim, or hose clamp methods, I had an idea: cut the existing shields off with an angle grinder or hacksaw and replace them with thermal tape or 'exhaust wrap'. Has anyone used this approach to silence their rattle?
'92 L Wagon "the Yeti" - 295k mi and still running!

Turbo wheels n' Pirelli P6s / KYB GR2s / EBC Greenstuff pads + rotors / Walbro 255 / Apex'i airbox filter
rallyak
Third Gear

Re: dat heat shield rattle

Post by rallyak »

My car doesn't have any shields on and never had a problem. I will be removing the ones off my wife soon, she has been nagging me to fix it for awhile.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

For a normal DD I'd agree that you don't even need the exhaust wrap. Might actually be better without it, as wrap is known to trap moisture and accelerate rust on manifolds/headers.

I've thought about trying to fab up my own shields out of galvanized sheet metal and tacking them onto my exhaust (mainly for my aftermarket DP and section of the cat-back near the rear diff), but I came to conclusion that it wouldn't be worth the effort, as other factors will kill my car long before the increase in temps around those areas will have any noticeable effects.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
thewaterboy
First Gear

Post by thewaterboy »

Ill be cutting my head shields off when i drop the exhaust next weekend. Ill take pics as well, for those suffering the same rattle.
major_tom
In Neutral

Post by major_tom »

James614 wrote:For a normal DD I'd agree that you don't even need the exhaust wrap. Might actually be better without it, as wrap is known to trap moisture and accelerate rust on manifolds/headers.
I did read a few old threads that mentioned this phenomenon. My thought was to make the tape a maintenance item and rewrap it say, as often as I would change my spark plugs. A pain, yes, but worth it to deter rust. Also, you make a good point in that my car will likely get new headers or die before the temp difference becomes a factor.

Drop those pics in here, thewaterboy!
'92 L Wagon "the Yeti" - 295k mi and still running!

Turbo wheels n' Pirelli P6s / KYB GR2s / EBC Greenstuff pads + rotors / Walbro 255 / Apex'i airbox filter