Bad cat

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

mr.blub.blubs142
First Gear

Bad cat

Post by mr.blub.blubs142 »

I'm pretty sure I have a plugged cat. My question is whether it is safe to drive with it cut from just before the cat. I have to drive a few hundred miles this weekend and don't have time to replace the exhaust before then. My car is a 2.2 na. Any help is much appreciated.
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Re: Bad cat

Post by TurnNburn »

safe is a relative term. It is fine to drive a catless car but what you are suggesting is potentially hazardous to your health. if you do cut the exhaust off before the cat, your exhaust gases will be dumping right under your passnegers seat. So 1, its going to be extremely loud, 2, probably burn the bottom of your car, and 3 the most important one is your letting uncatted exhaust fumes permeate your cabin which is annoying and smelly at best, but can lead to severe headaches, dizziness and among other things... death... I know, melodramatic but true

On a side note, if you temporarily take your exhaust off and the car drives better then you know you have a bad cat. If you cant fix it, just smash it out (the cat)
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
mr.blub.blubs142
First Gear

Post by mr.blub.blubs142 »

Okay, thanks for the response. If I cut my exhaust, I was gonna throw in a pipe to dump the exhaust out the side of the car so that way it wouldn't be hazardous. I mainly wanted to check to make sure not having a full exhaust wouldn't damage the engine until I could do something more permanent
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

no damage will result from not having cats, and obd 1 cars don't monitor that down stream air so the car wont even know its got. you will loose some back pressure but in your case that sounds like it would be a good thing. haha
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

No cats on my car but it does smell like my Cuda, raw fuel. Still getting 28 mpg with less back pressure and I like the extra rumble that the el headers and flow master produce.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)