Aftermarket exhaust for 93 turbo Legacy

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Mpgingerson
First Gear

Aftermarket exhaust for 93 turbo Legacy

Post by Mpgingerson »

Hello! I currently drive a Legacy 93 turbo EJ20G bone stock and I'm wating for a backbox (afterburner Vortex), but further down the road I want the full exhaust built, but how's the fitment from the Impreza with the same powerplant? For example the downpipe and mid section? I'm looking for something quite loud, so cat's and such is not a must.
mike-tracy

Re: Aftermarket exhaust for 93 turbo Legacy

Post by mike-tracy »

Hi and welcome! Nothing fits that's designed for another car. The WRX one arguably hangs too low at the DP, and thr mid pipe is about 8" too short, and the hangers are in the wrong spots.

What most people do is get a WRX exhaust and have a welder make it fit.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

I have a GD Impreza exhaust on my turbo swapped car (99 Legacy GT), and I had to extend the front of the midpipe about 4". Also had to weld up new exhaust hangers for all three hanger locations on the axleback. The midpipe hanger was in the correct location. The downpipe was a perfect fit and didn't need to be modified at all.
Mpgingerson
First Gear

Post by Mpgingerson »

Okay thanks, but for now I want a new downpipe for obvious reasons, but does the GC8 Impreza downpipe fit bolt on to the factory Legacy exhaust midpipe and turbo? And do you know any good downpipes with no cat? Something like this for example http://scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog/produc ... cts_id=441
Mpgingerson
First Gear

Post by Mpgingerson »

And how loud will it be to have a Afterburner back box (4,5"), De-cat downpipe, De-cat uppipe and catted centre section? And the most important thing.. Will it do some small exhaust pops? (a) <3
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

I'm rocking the WRX ebay special, that I had to modify basically the hole thing. Just be ready to flex your fab skills.
94 Winestone SS 5MT Rob 550 20g. (Pickle)
Original WA car with 460k miles and climbing
Mpgingerson
First Gear

Post by Mpgingerson »

Pntaste4evr99 wrote:I'm rocking the WRX ebay special, that I had to modify basically the hole thing. Just be ready to flex your fab skills.
Okay, but since I have no welder I'm going to get help from a friend mechanic, but One mote question. How loud will it be to remove all the cats and have a straight trough exhaust system for the turboback. And is there a noticable gain in power and spool time?
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

^^^^for a daily driver, like super stupid loud in boost. its fun for a few days but gets old real quick. plus its not worth getting a fix it ticket from the cops for it being to loud. Or pissing off your neighbors when you start it in the morning. Cats don't do to much for sound deadening but at least put a resonator and a muffler. unless your running a GT35 or something along that line then I doubt you would be flowing enough to really notice a difference in spool times. in fact a little back pressure is a good thing.

That being said, I have done this on a few cars and is pretty fun. If you haven't done it before, give it a shot.
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

A full 3" TB and a single muffler is pretty loud. But then you'll sound like almost every bug eye WRX out there.....
Mpgingerson
First Gear

Post by Mpgingerson »

But how would the drone be? My goal for the car is getting it to 250 whp and still having a relyable daily drive, but I have a big backbox now and it improved the rumblw, but I want more. And should a 2,5 " exhaust be good for 250 or will 3" give better flow, but less backpreassure?
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

3" kits are cheaper, since there's more made sitting and 250 can be reached with a 20g. I daily mine with robtune which ppl say is around 260-300whp. I drive it everyday. U just have to play with diff mufflers and resonators to get the sound u want. I hear that UEL headers give more of a "subie" rumble and EL headers give more power. Your call bud
Mpgingerson
First Gear

Post by Mpgingerson »

Pntaste4evr99 wrote:3" kits are cheaper, since there's more made sitting and 250 can be reached with a 20g. I daily mine with robtune which ppl say is around 260-300whp. I drive it everyday. U just have to play with diff mufflers and resonators to get the sound u want. I hear that UEL headers give more of a "subie" rumble and EL headers give more power. Your call bud
The sound is good aslong as I keep the Subie rumble, but I've hear so much about Robstune.. Is it something to get into? How would it work on my car all stock?
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

Should work depending on which ECU your running. Go on his website, he has all the info there, and there are a bunch of threads on here about making it work, what u need,etc. it's worth it, def fun to drive.
Mpgingerson
First Gear

Post by Mpgingerson »

Pntaste4evr99 wrote:Should work depending on which ECU your running. Go on his website, he has all the info there, and there are a bunch of threads on here about making it work, what u need,etc. it's worth it, def fun to drive.

Okay, thanks! But I think I'm going to upgrade the cooling, intake, exhaust, etc first to get the most out of the tune, but I'm sticking with a 3" turboback with a decat downpipe, a midpipe with a racecat and and narrowing it down to 2,5" at the exit to get best exhaust travel speed out, but with one cat installed, will it be obnocious loud and will it spike (check engine) lights?
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

Can't think I would be to loud, and shouldn't throw a CEL. Our cars only have one O2 sensor, so as long as that's pluged in, should be good. I'll warn u though, the O2 bung in the DP I got I have to move. Again, not really made for our cars, get what u pay for. I got the $70 off eBay, just a heads up.
Mpgingerson
First Gear

Post by Mpgingerson »

Pntaste4evr99 wrote:Can't think I would be to loud, and shouldn't throw a CEL. Our cars only have one O2 sensor, so as long as that's pluged in, should be good. I'll warn u though, the O2 bung in the DP I got I have to move. Again, not really made for our cars, get what u pay for. I got the $70 off eBay, just a heads up.
Well, if it doesen't trigger the light I might aswell just rid of all cats for easier modding. I'm going with the Scoobyworld Afterburner DP and middlepipe since it has the holes forbthe sensors
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

Sounds like a plan
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

In my opinion if you have a small budget the ebay down pipe route is a good choice. Knowing before you go into it that you are going to have to modify the DP to fit properly. And depending on exhaust shops around where you live, have a custom DP back exhaust made up with whatever muffler you want. In the long run, it will be cheaper and fit better to have it made from scratch.
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
Mpgingerson
First Gear

Post by Mpgingerson »

TurnNburn wrote:In my opinion if you have a small budget the ebay down pipe route is a good choice. Knowing before you go into it that you are going to have to modify the DP to fit properly. And depending on exhaust shops around where you live, have a custom DP back exhaust made up with whatever muffler you want. In the long run, it will be cheaper and fit better to have it made from scratch.

My budget is not that limited when working and buying parts for my pride and joy, but yeah. I found a local tuning shop that builds exhausts and will help people with their projects, so I'm going to get them to build a custom exhaust to fit my existing backbox, as this will be a good fit and I can get all the cats and noise suppressing I want :-)