Muffler option for people looking - Magnaflow

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

just-rust
First Gear

Muffler option for people looking - Magnaflow

Post by just-rust »

I was searching around for just a muffler to put onto my car and found more info on complete exhaust systems and their fitment. For those just wanting to find a muffler; this may help. Here are the four set-ups I have had with the final listing being what I have now and like a lot as far as the tone and noise level are concerned.

#1 Stock downpipe - Catless - 2.5" pipe - no muffler (LOUD)
#2 Invidia 3" DP - high flow cat - 2.5" pipe - no muffler (LOUD)
#3 Invidia 3" DP - high flow cat - 2.5" pipe - STI muffler (very quiet)
#4 Invidia 3" DP - high flow cat - 2.5" pipe - Magnaflow 12616 Satin Stainless Steel 2.5" Center Round Muffler
(Right in between LOUD and very quiet)

Here is a link:
https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=12616
This has a lifetime warranty as well.

Just wanted to give a good option for just a muffler if anyone is searching. Please post up any other good options that you might be running.

At some point I will link a video to give an example of the tone.
Rusty 1991 EJ22T - VF28 - '07 wrx TMIC - MBC - Invidia DP - Walbro 255 SOLD
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, with some neat stuff on it
just-rust
First Gear

Re: Muffler option for people looking - Magnaflow

Post by just-rust »

Here is a crappy video. Can catch the tone off the start and through First Gear. Second Gear fades out quick unfortunately. I really like the tone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4bewco ... e=youtu.be
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Thanks for sharing.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

That does sound good! I've enjoyed Magnaflows on other makes for years but never had one on a subie.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
just-rust
First Gear

Post by just-rust »

I really liked the Magnaflow exhaust on my truck so figured I would give it a try. Thanks for the comments!
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

I'm running the hooker aero comp 3" all the way, I think it's perfectly in between loud and quiet, but still have a little rumble. I have a 3" coffee can or round muffler that every other subie brand new it anyone wants it??? I'm never gonna use it, except for maybe my lawn mower
94 Winestone SS 5MT Rob 550 20g. (Pickle)
Original WA car with 460k miles and climbing
just-rust
First Gear

Post by just-rust »

Good info! If you are going to throw the exhaust on the lawnmower might as well put a td04 with a BOV on it too.
ScaryfatkidGT
In Neutral

Post by ScaryfatkidGT »

Wait so a performance muffler is in between a stock muffler and no muffler? Who'da thunk?

I have 3" everything with a huge greddy can I plan on changing, right now I would consider it "loud".
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

ScaryfatkidGT wrote:Wait so a performance muffler is in between a stock muffler and no muffler? Who'da thunk?

I have 3" everything with a huge greddy can I plan on changing, right now I would consider it "loud".
Is this for a turbo?
ScaryfatkidGT
In Neutral

Post by ScaryfatkidGT »

mike-tracy wrote:
ScaryfatkidGT wrote:Wait so a performance muffler is in between a stock muffler and no muffler? Who'da thunk?

Is this for a turbo?
Yeah, some weird DP with a slip joint, 3" the whole way back, the O2 bung is moved way down to the lower part of the DP, no idea why.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Most likely the lower 02 bung is for a wide band, a little further down the exhaust path away from the turbo. Helps them last longer ;)
ScaryfatkidGT
In Neutral

Post by ScaryfatkidGT »

mike-tracy wrote:Most likely the lower 02 bung is for a wide band, a little further down the exhaust path away from the turbo. Helps them last longer ;)
Ahhhh is that ok? Everyone I have talked to says to move it back or it wont work right. Could I run a wide-band on the stock ECU or a Robtune?
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

ScaryfatkidGT wrote:
mike-tracy wrote:Most likely the lower 02 bung is for a wide band, a little further down the exhaust path away from the turbo. Helps them last longer ;)
Ahhhh is that ok? Everyone I have talked to says to move it back or it wont work right. Could I run a wide-band on the stock ECU or a Robtune?

You can run a wideband on anything. These cars do need a working stock o2 sensor though. A crappy one or a dead one might not throw a code, but the throttle feels sluggish, and it gets terrible mileage, among other thing. So if you don't have 2 bungs on the DP, a welder can put one on in short order.
ScaryfatkidGT
In Neutral

Post by ScaryfatkidGT »

mike-tracy wrote:
ScaryfatkidGT wrote:

You can run a wideband on anything. These cars do need a working stock o2 sensor though. A crappy one or a dead one might not throw a code, but the throttle feels sluggish, and it gets terrible mileage, among other thing. So if you don't have 2 bungs on the DP, a welder can put one on in short order.
Well the wires are cut on mine and no exhaust shop wants to deal with wiring it back up, so I'm driving around with no O2.

Everyone told me you can't just slap a wideband on and that I should move the O2 back closer to the turbo.

Should I just get an AEM wideband and stick it in the current location?
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

You can put that wideband in if you like, but it won't affect how the engine runs, nor do you have any way to make any fueling changes.

You really need to get a working o2 sensor, or in addition to having a suboptimally running car, you won't be able to run a robtune. Meaning, any flaws the car has with it's engine or electrical system, the robtune will magnify them and it'll run way worse. See if there's any subarus in the junkyard and grab the front o2 sensor wiring from an na to splice in. You can then buy a brand new 02 sensor for whatever car you grabbed the wiring from.

OR you could just buy a universal 3 or 4 wire o2 sensor with long enough wire to reach your harness. I can help you identify which wires on the factory harness to splice to when the time comes.

This thread is an example of splicing in a different/generic o2 sensor into our cars:
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=14247

Speaking of the bung location, I seem to remember the 02+ wrx's having further down the down pipe than our cars. So perhaps the bung is just in the stock location for whatever car it came from.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

ScaryfatkidGT, I just did a search on this site and this product might work for you. It is a wideband that can also give the ecu a narrowband signal just like the stock sensor would. Plus it only needs 1 bung.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54489
ScaryfatkidGT
In Neutral

Post by ScaryfatkidGT »

Thanks, Right now I have an extra 22T O2, but on the O2 on my car there are just 3 wires on the O2 and 3 white wires coming from the engine and thats it....

So is a wideband only for a stand alone?
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

ScaryfatkidGT wrote:Thanks, Right now I have an extra 22T O2, but on the O2 on my car there are just 3 wires on the O2 and 3 white wires coming from the engine and thats it....
So your problem is the car side wiring is missing the plug? Or the plug still exists but the wires got ripped out?

ScaryfatkidGT wrote:So is a wideband only for a stand alone?
Certain widebands can work with certain standalones for tuning. Without a compatible standalone ecu, the wideband is another gauge. On the BBS people use them to see how the engine's fuel mixture is doing, visually and immediately. Kind of like an additional safety. You can "see" if you have a bad boost leak if the gauge says you are running super rich or super lean under boost. Etc.
ScaryfatkidGT
In Neutral

Post by ScaryfatkidGT »

mike-tracy wrote:
ScaryfatkidGT wrote:Thanks, Right now I have an extra 22T O2, but on the O2 on my car there are just 3 wires on the O2 and 3 white wires coming from the engine and thats it....
So your problem is the car side wiring is missing the plug? Or the plug still exists but the wires got ripped out?
Both the car side and the installed O2 are missing the plugs, my extra one has a plug. I'll see if I can upload a pic, I was told when I bought it that the O2 was "bad" and I don't think that owner ever looked cuz he had an extra working O2 he gave me to swap it out. I got under it to look and try and fix it cuz I obviously get awful mileage and the wires are just cut. The O2 is in the lower part of the DP that's parallel to the ground, there are 3 cut wires on the O2 and 3 cut white wires running from up in the engine.

I have no idea if the stock plug is still up there or what, I need a cat-back welded up so I took it to 2 exhaust shops and neither wanted to touch the O2, as I might need the O2 relocated I would like an exhaust shop or some place willing to fix both issues to take car of everything.

If the stock plug is there, and I could plug the O2 in my self I still couldn't install it into the DP myself.

I also have a DTEC boost controller that doesn't seem to be working so I would like a MBC installed, I'm assuming FCD would also be a good idea? I fit fuel cut a lot as I basically have nothing to prevent the turbo from spooling ip to 25psi
mike-tracy wrote:
ScaryfatkidGT wrote:So is a wideband only for a stand alone?
Certain widebands can work with certain standalones for tuning. Without a compatible standalone ecu, the wideband is another gauge. On the BBS people use them to see how the engine's fuel mixture is doing, visually and immediately. Kind of like an additional safety. You can "see" if you have a bad boost leak if the gauge says you are running super rich or super lean under boost. Etc.
And I would kind of like that extra info presented to me, but they wear out faster?

I guess what do you think I should do, wire in a wide-band where the bung is now or get a stock one installed into the stock location?
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

You want the wideband in the existing hole, further away into the turbo. Wear out faster is relative. A brand new wideband 02 sensor will last a couple of years. One thing I don't like about the whole narrow band "dummy signal" to the ecu is the ecu won't be able to adjust the fueling mixture based on the stock 02 input. If your engine and electronics are healthy then it's not a huge deal, but it is removing a layer of safety.

You really need some kind of boost controller. Until you get one, I recommend getting a vacuum line and running it between the 2 ports on the turbo. This forces the turbo to run only to the wastegate spring pressure. Which should be 10psi or less. 25 psi on a stock turbo especially without a tune is a really bad idea. The turbo won't be long for this world for one thing.

Also, a robtune or standalone tune won't use an FCD, so it is pointless.
burnt_toast
First Gear

Post by burnt_toast »

man that magnaflow does soung god, thanks for sharing
'94 Legacy Turbo Touring Wagon; kyb gr2's/mostly stock
'05 Toyota Corolla XRS - 1.8L 2zz-ge, 6speeds of revtastic fury
ScaryfatkidGT
In Neutral

Post by ScaryfatkidGT »

mike-tracy wrote:You want the wideband in the existing hole, further away into the turbo. Wear out faster is relative. A brand new wideband 02 sensor will last a couple of years. One thing I don't like about the whole narrow band "dummy signal" to the ecu is the ecu won't be able to adjust the fueling mixture based on the stock 02 input. If your engine and electronics are healthy then it's not a huge deal, but it is removing a layer of safety.

You really need some kind of boost controller. Until you get one, I recommend getting a vacuum line and running it between the 2 ports on the turbo. This forces the turbo to run only to the wastegate spring pressure. Which should be 10psi or less. 25 psi on a stock turbo especially without a tune is a really bad idea. The turbo won't be long for this world for one thing.

Also, a robtune or standalone tune won't use an FCD, so it is pointless.
Further away FROM the turbo???

I got the boost controller working, shes holding at 11.4 PSI
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

You asked:
ScaryfatkidGT wrote:I guess what do you think I should do, wire in a wide-band where the bung is now or get a stock one installed into the stock location?
I replied:
mike-tracy wrote:You want the wideband in the existing hole, further away from the turbo.
Good news about your boost controller, you didnt really want bits of turbine blades in your engine! ;)
ScaryfatkidGT
In Neutral

Post by ScaryfatkidGT »

mike-tracy wrote:You asked:
ScaryfatkidGT wrote:I guess what do you think I should do, wire in a wide-band where the bung is now or get a stock one installed into the stock location?
I replied:
mike-tracy wrote:You want the wideband in the existing hole, further away from the turbo.
Further into the turbo?... I don't get

But anyway I think I'm just going to stick a stock O2 in so the best place for that would be the stock location I'm assuming?
mike-tracy wrote:Good news about your boost controller, you didnt really want bits of turbine blades in your engine! ;)
Yeah me and some buddies got it working about a week ago...... just jumped a ditch with her about an hour ago.... :| got some light front end body work to do now.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

That was a funny typo. Here's what I actually meant:
1. Have a muffler shop put a second bung on your down pipe. The SS stock ecu (and ej20g ecu and robtune) expects and is calibrated for the o2 sensor to be right after the bell end of the downpipe. So only a couple inches from the turbo.
2. Put the wideband sensor further away from the turbo than the stock 02 sensor.