Koyo & Mishimoto Radiator Failures!!! (Legacy Turbo Models)

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

James614
Fourth Gear

Re: Koyo & Mishimoto Radiator Failures!!! (Legacy Turbo Mode

Post by James614 »

I say chances are decent they will bring in more. The radiators are the same as the early WRX, so the supply is out there. I remember ordering parts in the past and they were put on special order from Japan.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

bmxpunk wrote:Anyone had any experience with a Spectra? Also I have seen conflicting reports that the stock radiator was 2 row while these replacements are 1 row.
I did a little research and the Spectra's 1 row is almost twice as thick on the turbo radiator. I'd still recommend trying to find a stocker, but Spectras would probably work too.

The CU1819 is the turbo model

http://ecat.spectrapremium.com/produits ... ons/CU1819

The CU1183 is the non-turbo model

http://ecat.spectrapremium.com/produits ... ons/CU1183
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Found a stock radiator and fans at a salvage yard in Colorado that will be here Friday. Looking forward to building a new lower radiator mount and installing it.
2011 Mini Countryman S All4
1970 Honda Ct90
2001 Forester S of Doom - mowed down by a Cummins
1994/5/6/01/02/03/04/06/07/08 Impregacy OUtback SS STi Type R money pit- NEW RALLYCAR!!
mittens
In Neutral

Post by mittens »

My wife's 92 radiator just blew and I was quoted about $140 for a replacement from O'Reilly auto parts (former checker, schucks kragen) ; anyone have experience with these replacements or should I just go to the stealership?

Also, has anyone ever considered welding aluminum end tanks to an old stock core? I'm thinking I might try it with hers when I get a chance.

Opinions?
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I can't say if it's as good as OEM, but my cheap Autozone radiator in my Touring Wagon was still in great shape after 6 or so years of hooning and quite a few autocross events. Whether it's worth it I guess would depend on how much the OEM one costs. I wouldn't consider the radiator a critical part to go OEM on like the engine parts or sensors.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I did not have a good experience with autoparts store radiators. It wasn't necessarily with the build it was with the fitment in my Impreza. So if they have the radiator and you can compare the old vs. new to make sure it's exactly the same, then great. I recommend staying with the aluminum radiator with plastic end caps vs. a copper/brass radiator. This recommendation is due to the dissimilar metals and galvanic corrosion.

Here's a quick link from google with more info.

http://www.cgj.com/2013/07/02/aluminum- ... ptibility/
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Does anyone have any experience with the new Koyo racing radiator for these cars? Part number VH090302. They have a new core design and are only 36mm thick compared to the old units that were 2"+ thick?
1970 Honda Ct90
1994/5/6/01/02/03/04/06/07/08 Impregacy OUtback SS STi Type R money pit- NEW RALLYCAR!!
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

I like the newer v-cores. Without better airflow through the front a really thick radiator doesn't benefit a whole lot. Plus clearance is really tight between the fans/hoses/engine on the older cars with a thick core like the koyo R or mishimoto. I recently tried putting a mishimoto in a GC and it basically didn't work with the stock fans. And then like 2 months later I see koyo released a v-core for that car.

Anyone wants to order one let me know, I can offer pretty decent pricing.
peter@functionauto.com
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Sending a pm. Function auto? That's me name over at dirty Impreza I think. That's what we called our first rally team.
1970 Honda Ct90
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Ha, funny. I went with that because I run hellafunctional, so, it's like a parts store spinoff, and looking like some shop space soon too.
peter@functionauto.com