Car stalling while driving

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Littlevil
In Neutral

Car stalling while driving

Post by Littlevil » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:01 am

I recently purchased my first Subaru, a 1992 Legacy touring wagon with a 5spd swap. I've slowly been fixing all it's quirks (next up is the insanely sloppy shifter).

However while driving recently my car has been stalling while driving!! Basically what happens is I'll be in gear (3rd or 4th usually) at around 4k rpm and I'll put the clutch in, the rpms will then drop like crazy until the car stalls, and sometimes even when I hit the gas the revs will plummet again.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to replicate the problem on purpose, 90% of the time the car works perfectly. But every once in a while it'll do this.

If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

Littlevil
In Neutral

Re: Car stalling while driving

Post by Littlevil » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:34 am

I've been doing some research, and I was thinking that it might be the idle switch inside the TPS. Possibly as i'm coming off throttle the idle switch isn't making contact which then chokes out the engine. But while I was looking around I noticed one of the plug wires was cracked, so i'm going to start by replacing my plugs and wires and see if that helps. Do you guys use fancy iridium or platinum plugs or just copper?

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:12 am

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=634&p=428907&hilit ... gk#p428907

I use NGK coppers, they work great in these cars
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am
Wait....I'm confused now.

Littlevil
In Neutral

Post by Littlevil » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:29 pm

Thanks mate!

Littlevil
In Neutral

Post by Littlevil » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:57 pm

So I installed a new knock sensor after reading about a guy who had very similar problems to me (and I had a knock sensor cel) and the issue seemed to go away for a little while, but it still stalled when I shifted to neutral from 5th :'(. I think my next step is building an engine diagnostics unit so I can get some more info on the problem.

I wonder if it has anything to do with it being a manual swap? It also has the AC deleted so maybe there's artificial load on the motor.

wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:57 pm

I'd read thru the 5-speed swap here: https://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/swap/swap.html
To see what is required (i've since forgotten). May be some clues.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo 4WD Wagon (pre-Loyale) - SOLD
'90 BJ, EJ22T/DOHC and 5-speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX GG-SOLD
'96 BD - turbo'd-SOLD

Littlevil
In Neutral

Post by Littlevil » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:02 am

Thanks wtdash, i'll give it a read through and see what I can find out.

Littlevil
In Neutral

Post by Littlevil » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:12 pm

Well things have gotten alot worse. Car left me stranded on the highway today, I got it towed home and now I'm trying to figure out wtf is going on.
It will not start, earlier it would start for a second then die, but now it just turns over and doesn't even try.

First off I can't hear the fuel pump running when I switch on the key, and when I pop the fuel cap there's no pressure...

But I just pulled the codes and I got 22 (knock sensor), 31 (throttle sensor), and 49 (air flow sensor).

I got the knock sensor code a while back and I replaced the knock sensor so I think that's just a left over code.

It's tough, my intuition tells me it's a fuel pump problem, but why are there codes for throttle sensor and air flow sensor? Would those codes stop the engine from running? I did disconnect the air flow sensor yesterday while the battery was still connected so would that have thrown a code?

Something interesting though is that it left me stranded after doing the exact same issue as earlier, I put in the clutch and the motor dies.

At this point I don't think that it's the 5spd swap causing these problems lol

wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:38 pm

"First off I can't hear the fuel pump running when I switch on the key, and when I pop the fuel cap there's no pressure..."
Time to install a DW fp (or similar). If you bought a used Subaru, you 'must' be able to wrench, correct? :D
But check the relay and wiring 1st (you'll want to google/search here for that info).
Not a tough job. Be prepared for 25+ years of accumulated dirt on top of the tank to clean off...like when I did this on '98 Forester:
Turbo Subies:
'02 WRX GG-SOLD
'96 BD - turbo'd-SOLD

Littlevil
In Neutral

Post by Littlevil » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:20 pm

Oh man that looks nasty, at least fuel pump is an easy job! But you're right, I need to make absolutely sure it's the pump and not the wiring.

rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:10 am

I had an air flow sensor go bad and would die when driving sometimes intel it completely went bad. I tested by unplugging the air flow sensor and it started and drove it home. It will run rich being unplugged but should start.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:01 pm

I will second the MAF sensor, especially since you got a code for it.

Plug in just the green diagnostic connectors. This will cycle the relays on and off, including the fuel pump relay. This will let you know whether the fuel pump is turning on or not. If you put a gauge on the fuel delivery line that will tell you whether you have the appropriate pressure or not.....however, I think it's the MAF since I had a similar issue.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
1997 Impreza OBS

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm

Littlevil
In Neutral

Post by Littlevil » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:20 pm

Thanks guys, I'll try unplugging the MAF and see if she runs! I do have a spare MAF thankfully so I can install it if that's the problem.

I unplugged the supply fuel line and cycled the relays before I ordered my walbro, so either way new fuel pump is on the way, so I sure hope the old one is bad.

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:57 pm

Ok, well keep us updated on what you find out.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
1997 Impreza OBS

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm

Littlevil
In Neutral

Post by Littlevil » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:03 pm

So I installed the new fuel pump last night and the car runs fine when cold, but when hot the old problem still exists. I guess they are two seperate issues! I plan on testing the MAF today so hopefully that's my problem!

Littlevil
In Neutral

Post by Littlevil » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:16 am

Very weird thing here guys... When I unplug the MAF the car instantly dies. It will start for a sec then instantly die. Not sure what that means...

wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:54 pm

I'd still get another MAF. Used is OK, although they do fail, it's not super common.

Unfortunately the turbos used the rare metal MAF. They were also used on the '90-'91 (?) 5-speed Legacy, if you're lucky to a have a pullnsave/used auto parts nearby. New may be $pendy and/or hard to find.

The plastic green label JECS/AUTecs MAFs aren't compatible (unless you install an EJ20G ECU + a bunch of other things :D )
Turbo Subies:
'02 WRX GG-SOLD
'96 BD - turbo'd-SOLD

Littlevil
In Neutral

Post by Littlevil » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:10 pm

I have a spare MAF luckily! I just need to clean it up (btw just sensor kleen? I know you can't wipe them) and get a new gasket and i'll throw it on! Car is still driveable atm, I just have to heel-toe the shit out of her haha.

wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:37 pm

Rumor is not to use carb cleaner or anything w/too strong/forceful a spray - to avoid damaging the element. So sensor kleen FTW.
Turbo Subies:
'02 WRX GG-SOLD
'96 BD - turbo'd-SOLD