95 impreza ej22t swap keeps dying while driving

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Spunkybchap
In Neutral

95 impreza ej22t swap keeps dying while driving

Post by Spunkybchap »

Hi, need some help if possible. My impreza is almost finished but I have a few kinks left and it's stumping me. We did a ej22t swap into the impreza using the engine harness and jdm wrx ecu from my 94 wagon due to bad rust on it. I made sure the wagon was running great before swap (I did no upgrades or changed anything during swap) so I could rule out issues and it was running fine. It runs great but about every 5-10 min the engine will just die, doesn't matter whether I'm applying gas or at a stop. I just turn key off and it starts right back up no problem and is fine for another 5-10 min (it did not do this in the wagon). I have changed main relay, fuel pump relay, swapped maf and the aem fuel pump was new right before swap, but it's not acting like fuel issue but electrical. It's like I turned the key almost to the off position. Any ideas of where to start looking???
95 impreza coupe ej22t 2.5dohc swap, 5 speed swap, brembos, bc coilovers, sti seats and sti go fast stuff :D
Spunkybchap
In Neutral

Re: 95 impreza ej22t swap keeps dying while driving

Post by Spunkybchap »

I tried a few times to try and narrow down results on the dying issue. It does it after 5 min of driving but no more than 7 min, it did not turn off lights or radio each time it did it. None of the dummy lights come up on dash when it dies, I can pump throttle several times and it will sometimes fire back up for a second but it's like limp mode, the rpms just bounce up and down but won't go above 2k. I have to turn key off and restart for it to be normal again. It always starts right back when I recycle the key, has never not started back. I tried a few times of just starting the car and idle and it would never do it if I just let it idle, but as soon as I went and drove it then it did it after 5 min. It does have some trouble starting on first start and will throw code 12 if I just keep cranking on it but if I cycle key and retry about 6 times it will fire up.
95 impreza coupe ej22t 2.5dohc swap, 5 speed swap, brembos, bc coilovers, sti seats and sti go fast stuff :D