poor acceleration

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

homegrown
In Neutral

poor acceleration

Post by homegrown »

I have a 95 wagon with about 96k. It has developed a very lazy acceleration curve which only picks up around 3000 to 3500 rpm. If you get on the gas the engine rpms will go up but the car does not accelerate, then it feels like the slack will be taken out of the system and the rpm's will drop as the car catches up and then accelerates. I have new plugs (boush plantinums) and a new fuel filter. Any ideas on what is causing this would be appreciated.
Gus
First Gear

Reset the ECM?

Post by Gus »

Have you tried resetting the ECM? That's the first thing I would try.

Dave
2005 Legacy GT Limited Sedan, 2006 Outback XT Limited, 1972 Porsche 914, 1978 Porsche 911SC
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Try resetting the ECU......also......get rid of the bosch platinums. Put in NGK's Either just the normal coppers or platinums, if you want platinums.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Sounds to me like a transmission problem, if the engine rpms rise up then it slowly catches up.

I can replicated something to that effect by always starting in second gear.

edit: dang, I cant barely understand what I wrote!

I meant to say that If I start in second gear my car will act the same way, rpms will climb to 3k and the car takes off slowly.
Last edited by ciper on Tue Nov 12, 2002 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

Sounds more like tranny issues than anything.

Did the Bosch Plats help, hinder or not affect the problem at all?

Check the ATF, smell it and see if it's burnt.

Dave
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
homegrown
In Neutral

Post by homegrown »

It is a 5 speed. The plugs and filter did not help nor hinder the situation. The starting in second gear statement is a good description but it will do while cruising also not only at take off.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Well then this may be a very easy fix, my second guess since you have a manual transmission is that your clutch is due for replacement. With 96k have you replaced the clutch yet?
homegrown
In Neutral

Post by homegrown »

No new clutch to my knowledge. We bought the car with 70k. About what range do they usually need replaced? Has anybody replaced their clutch and if so what is a good replacement, how long does it take, is it a real pain and are there any special tools required? Is there a sure fire way i can tell it's the clutch without replacing it? Thanks for all the input.
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

I agree - clutch. Luckily, you should be able to diagnose this before you have to dish out for parts. It should feel exactly as if you are driving around with the clutch pedal partly down. Hey, you can even do that if you want to compare how it behaves (bad vs. worse).

You may be able to quick-fix things :twisted: by adjusting the clutch cables (10 minutes under the hood). If your clutch is really worn out, though, then adjusting the cables will only conceal the prob - then who knows what happens when it gets worse.

Sam
90 Legacy L Wagon AWD 5mt
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Your clutch is most likely hydraulic though if its a 96. If it's cable, and the clutch is really shot, then the cable adjustment will only last for a few extra miles... I drove mine to a parts store about 6 miles away with little problem, and the car became inoperable on the way back.

It was exactly 110,000 miles on the dot, and I don't think it was coincidence :wink: ...

The car would hardly shift gears, even with double-clutching, and any judicious throttle application would cause the clutch to slip in any gear other than 1st, and when I got it to the mechanic, the pedal stayed on the floor...

I know this is an old topic, but I thought my input would be of at least some value...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
vypa
First Gear

Post by vypa »

id have to say clutch too... mines in the shop gettin the clutch replaced right now.... and it was def. gone... with the cable clutch tighten all the way it would actually slip in first gear if the pedal was more than 3/4 gone... wasnt really safely driveable... but had to deal with it for a few days.......