Some Questions about a possible EJ20T swap.

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

93LegacyTurbo
In Neutral

Some Questions about a possible EJ20T swap.

Post by 93LegacyTurbo »

Since my car has well over 145K miles and a weak clutch, I am thinking about doing a EJ20T swap from a 96 JDM WRX. There's a guy locally who has the entire front clip, his poor mechanic never fitted and finished the work for the swap into his 2.5RS. Now he is selling the entire engine, clutch, tranny, ecu, etc..... (asking around $2000 with 50K km from a non-STI WRX 1996, highly negotiable) What is the street price for this?

My questions are, how difficult would this swap be? How much should I expect to pay for labor and will I still have my AC? My current engine and tranny are absolutely OK and how much can I get if I were to sell them?
EJ20impreza
In Neutral

Post by EJ20impreza »

I might be able to help with some of your questions...

If the engine is really a 96 JDM WRX with 50k miles, and it "passes" a compression and leak-down test, then $2000 is a good deal. If the engine is really the whole front clip from the WRX, then that is a great deal.

I swapped a EJ20 into my impreza, take a look at my web page, maybe that will clear things up for you a little. http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~ndw22/engine_swap.htm
hope it helps
Noah
95 Impreza L - EJ20 swap
Mark Ward
First Gear

Post by Mark Ward »

Yes, you can keep your AC.. It just takes some work. The motor will bolt in mechanically wise. Wiring harness has to be "adjusted" to fit (there was several different wiring plugs used that sit behind your battery). BUT you have to figure out what you will do with the ECU. If you insist on going with the stock ECU, you have to add 4 wires to the harness to control the igniters. Most of the rest will plug into the new components. If you are lucky to have the whole front clip, it will have everything you need. 2000 is a good price esp if you dont have to have it shipped to you.

Mark
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

...and transmission...

Dave
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+