Hesitation Problems...

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

morgie
Third Gear

Hesitation Problems...

Post by morgie »

that are still there...

i didn't checked the plugs that are on my car since last month, but this evening i took a look closer at the plugs that were previously installed in the car ...

here is what i found on NGK website :
Misfires

A spark plug is said to have misfired when enough voltage has not been delivered to light off all fuel present in the combustion chamber at the proper moment of the power stroke (a few degrees before top dead center)
A spark plug can deliver a weak spark (or no spark at all) for a variety of reasons...defective coil, too much compression with incorrect plug gap, dry fouled or wet fouled spark plugs, insufficient ignition timing, etc.
Slight misfires can cause a loss of performance for obvious reasons (if fuel is not lit, no energy is be-ing created)
Severe misfires will cause poor fuel economy, poor driveability, and can lead to engine damage

Fouling

Will occur when spark plug tip temperature is insufficient to burn off carbon, fuel, oil or other deposits
Will cause spark to leach to metal shell...no spark across plug gap will cause a misfire
Wet-fouled spark plugs must be changed...spark plugs will not fire
Dry-fouled spark plugs can sometimes be cleaned by bringing engine up to operating temperature
Before changing fouled spark plugs, be sure to eliminate root cause of fouling
also :
Dry and Wet Fouling
Although there are many different cases, if the insulation resistance between the center electrode and the shell is over 10 ohms, the engine can be started normally. If the insulation resistance drops to 0 ohms, the firing end is fouled by either wet or dry carbon.

And this is how bad my plugs were looking :
(check HiRez to see it clear ! lot of carbon deposit)
Hirez : http://images.fotki.com/v10/photos/1/17 ... IMG-or.jpg

I don't really know what to thing about all of this ... my brain is still computing datas ;)

Data to Compute : I have hesitation probs over 4000rpm, above 9psi. at 8psi car runs great .. when i unplug the BOV return hose and leave it open (which leans the air/fuel mix) car runs great over 9psi,but probs seems to come back (but very very minimal) at 10psi, there is traces of oil in my intake ducts, Air Filter is K&N.

New questions to my mind : Coil pack not delivering enough power ?

I'll try to remove the 1 months old ones and see how they are looking tomorrow.....
morgie
'98 4Runner V6 Manual 4x4.
Adambc5
In Neutral

Post by Adambc5 »

Morgie - well I managed to solve my hesitation issues completely this weekend. My car is very high mileage (172k) and as such, the wiring has seen better days. At first galnce the harness looked ok, but upon closer inspection, found small cracks in the insulation, as well as the wire tape (factory) peeling back, casuing some shileding to ground itself to the chassis as well. Beginning Saturday night (after I had messes with the wiring Saturday), I had a CE light for the knock sensor, as wel as a number of stored codes (all of which I think were caused by me working on the car without disconnecting the battery, but we'll see tomorrow as I plan on using the Selec Moniter to review any hard codes)

So, I took the high rod beginiing today around 1 PM and took everything apart. I cut off every bad looking connector and replaced them with generic 3 pin connectors from Radio Shack. I stripped the wires back to the point they looked good, added around 6 inches or so, so that the plugs would be easier to access in the future, and reconnected everything.
I also relocated the knock sensor to closer to the firewall, as well as used a small cushion (originally intended for the valve cover) underneath it. Finalyl I took some Krud Off (if you haven't used this stuff before, get it ...it rocks (Home Depot) and a rag, cleaning the grime away from everything, then used some dilectric grease on all connections. Started the car, and let i idle for about 20 minutes. Left the shop and hammered on her.....1.0 bar held to redline, and great performance.....car has never run so well before!

Pull your current plugs out and start there....the coil is easy to test to see if its good or not..if you want the step by step, let me know.

Adam
www.z1auto.com
I also took the opportunity to replace my coilpack as well
'91 BC5 Turbo, modded :)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Adam,

Do you have a select monitor2 or just the original select monitor? Where did you get it? I know they're rather spendy, but I don't plan on gettin rid of my car, and will most likely get another one, and the select monitor's ability to act as a log or see real time data is invaluable.

Your testing....can you be a little more specific as far as which connectors you replaced. Also.....what cushion did you use under the knock sensor? You talking about the grommets for the valve cover bolts?

And where exactly did you relocate the knock sensor?

Thanks.....my car is pissing me off more and more as the day goes on.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Adambc5
In Neutral

Post by Adambc5 »

josh - not sure, as I jsut went to the dealership to have it done (we do alot of performance stuff together).

The connectors I replaced are all under the throttle body....there is the knock sensor one (single pin), and 2 others which are both 3 pin connectors, one is grey, one white...not sure what they do, but mine did not look well at all!

Also replaced the coil pack

For the knock sensor, it is not right on the bellhousing of the tranny...only reason why is that I was in a rush to get home last night (took me 8 hours to do this stuff, so I was beat!), and couldn't getit back onto the block where it "should" be. For a cushion, yes, I used a valvecover mounting grommets, which are a rubber grommet pressed into a gold colored washer capsule....worked well.
'91 BC5 Turbo, modded :)
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

sO I FINAlly got time to check my 1.5 month old plugs .....

DAMN they look REALLY bad.. :(

the insulator is all brown and you can see some stripes in it : Spark fooled and running on the insulator.......

here is pics.
HiRez : http://images.fotki.com/v10/photos/1/17 ... img-or.jpg

this one was taken with a flash.. cant see the insulator good, but can see a lot of deposits on the shell :\
HiRez : http://images.fotki.com/v10/photos/1/17 ... img-or.jpg

What do you guys think of all that ?
morgie
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

Kind of looks like MBTE additive fuel residue to me. What plugs are you using?
I use NGK BKR 6 E11 and mine do not look like that.
AL(CO)
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

MBTE ??

the plugs are NGK platinum (G-Power).. cant remember the number :\
morgie
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

It is MTBE Methyl Tertiary-Butyl Ether they put in the gas supply in some states. It is supposed to make rose petals come out of the exhaust pipe, an oxy fuel. It is rapidly losing favor as it is contaminating the ground water in several states and it doesn't break down. Those plugs really don't look to bad if that is what this stufff is. I just run the standard NGK plugs.
AL(CO)