Brake Dash Light/Fluid Level Sensor

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

rlima
In Neutral

Brake Dash Light/Fluid Level Sensor

Post by rlima »

For the past 2 months the brake light has been coming on when the hand brake is released. After about 1/2 hour it goes off. I have checked the hand brake switch I have traced this fault to the brake reservoir fluid level sensor. I cleaned the sensor and replaced the fluid 2 weeks ago which solved the problem.
However 3 days ago the same thing started. Light on first thing in the morning, about 30 minutes later light is off.
Should I be looking at replacing the sensor? Is it sensitive to fluid temperature?

Roy
1991 Legacy Turbo AWD Sedan (5sp M)
Real roads don't have centre lines!
Adambc5
In Neutral

Post by Adambc5 »

Probably time for front brake pads!
'91 BC5 Turbo, modded :)
rlima
In Neutral

Post by rlima »

All pads are checked and plenty left. Fluid is topped up.
Recleaned brake fluid reservoir including top of level sensor this weekend and the light is not on at the moment. Let's see if this lasts as long as the last time.

Roy
1991 Legacy Turbo AWD Sedan (5sp M)
Real roads don't have centre lines!
EJ20impreza
In Neutral

Post by EJ20impreza »

I'm pretty sure the brake light has nothing to do with the condition of your brake pads/drums. You may want to check the condition of your brake master cylinder reservoir cap (the lid), the black leather on mine was 4 times its original size (apparently caused by a foreign substance touching it) somehow and it caused the brake light to come on all the time.
good luck,
noah
95 Impreza L - EJ20 swap