Rough idle when waiting at lights

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

magicmike
Fifth Gear

Rough idle when waiting at lights

Post by magicmike »

When the car is in park it idles fine (aprox 800rpm) when its in drive and I'm stopped at a light or whatever the rpms drop down to like 5 or 6 hundred and the car feels like its shaking a bit. My civic used to do the same thing when it got up there in mileage. I'm thinking its the o2 sensor. Everything else is new. New air filter, fuel filter, plugs and wires. I tried a search but only found advice on changing all of the things I just described as new. I'm thinking its the o2 but I dont know. What do you all think. its a rebuilt engine so it should be running smooth I thought ;)

-Mike
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

There's a quick check you can do to see if it's the oxygen sensor. Unplug the sensor, reset the ECU, and see how it does. If the problem persists, it's not the oxygen sensor. :)

Is there a chance that you have a small vacuum leak? You could do the starting fluid check.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Mine does this occasionally.....I think I need to clean up the IAC valve again.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

do you mean to unplug the sensor and leave it unplugged perminantly? or unplug it, reset the ecu then plug it back in? I'm confused

Thanks,

-Mike
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

The former. Unplug the connector, reset the ECU, and then drive around to see if the car behaves any better without the sensor.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I say it's nothing more than a Subaru trait. As most of you know, I've replaced damn near everything I possibly can in the hopes of fixing the bumpy idle. I've replaced the IAC valve with a brand-new one, I've swapped throttle bodies, MAFs, this and that.

Fact of the matter is, I've never driven any Subaru at all that had a perfectly smooth idle. Maybe it's just a boxer four trait...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

The last engine I had idled so smooth (but slightly high) you had to put your hand on it to tell it was running. That was up to about 20k before the exhaust valve went.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

subyluvr2212 wrote:I say it's nothing more than a Subaru trait. As most of you know, I've replaced damn near everything I possibly can in the hopes of fixing the bumpy idle. I've replaced the IAC valve with a brand-new one, I've swapped throttle bodies, MAFs, this and that.

Fact of the matter is, I've never driven any Subaru at all that had a perfectly smooth idle. Maybe it's just a boxer four trait...
did you change motor mounts?
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!