Choppy Acceleration troubleshooting...

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Fugazi
In Neutral

Choppy Acceleration troubleshooting...

Post by Fugazi »

So my Legacy had some problems earlier when some dirt and crap accumulated in the bottom of my fuel tank, God knows how, and blocked one of the holes. It took forever to find the problem, and I was driving with my fuel above twice the pressure it should have been. Gas was literally spraying out of the hose ends. I couldn't find the problem and eventually let my mechanic check it out and clean the pump.

Now, my car, which has 170k miles on it, has a little problem with jerky acceleration. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the problem I described above, but its really annoying. The car jerks back and forth slightly under any acceleration. I asked my mechanic, and he couldn't find anything wrong. Sometimes when I'm just starting out in first gear and I just begin to let the clutch out, something hammers like it's slipping and then catching.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance. It's a stick, if you didn't guess already :roll:
1993 Legacy L AWD, 5 speed, 201k miles
KYB GR-2, K&N, snorkusectomy
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

With 170k on the clock you may be expirencing the same thing i'm running into: Old mounts.

Your tranny mount is basically two pieces of metal connected by 3 pieces of rubber. The rubber gets old, cracks, gets useless basically; then it's time to get some new ones.

Of course it could be other things with that many miles too; dirty injectors (since you DID have some dirt in your fuel tank), loose vacuum hoses, maybe your fuel filter is half clogged.

-Jason
-Jason Grahn
Fugazi
In Neutral

Post by Fugazi »

Thanks, Jason. I'll take a look this weekend and put up a post if it works
1993 Legacy L AWD, 5 speed, 201k miles
KYB GR-2, K&N, snorkusectomy