EJ20TT, EJ20T, or EJ22T? Help Please!

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

What do think I should go with?

EJ22T Rebuild
71%
EJ20T Swap
21%
EJ20TT Swap
7%

Total votes: 14

FrmRgz2Rchz
First Gear

EJ20TT, EJ20T, or EJ22T? Help Please!

Post by FrmRgz2Rchz »

I have had some bad luck recently. I bought an EJ22T about 8 months ago with the intentions of putting it into a FWD Legacy L. Then, I found a Sport Sedan with the 5MT, so I bought it. The only major thing wrong with this car was it had a really bad engine knock. I thought, oh well, I'll just put the engine I have in it and it will be fine. After waiting 4 months for my mechanic(my cousin) to find time to do the swap, he finally gets around to doing it. The day finally comes when we get to start it up and here it purr for the first time, but instead of the sound of a sweet revving engine, we hear what sounds like an SMG stuck on auto. I was quite upset at the place I bought it from, and myself for waiting so long that the warranty expired. I'm over it, but now I am stuck with a couple choices. I was going to save the turbo with the bad knock(was in the car when I bought it) so I could get it rebuilt and make it into something sweet, but now it seems I have no use for it. I'm stuck with two engines with the same problem, but what do I do. I don't have the money to get it rebuilt the way I want to, and I don't want to get one rebuilt, and then build the other one up strictly for performance later, seems wasteful. I've also thought about just scrapping the EJ22T and buying the 20T. Then I was thinking, why not just go all out and get the 20TT. I wasn't sure though if it would fit, but if I could somehow make it fit, I wouldn't care how long it took. Can someone help me out? I really don't know what to do. Thanks.
Andy Rose
1993 Subaru Legacy Sport Sedan
2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
1999 Hyundai Accent
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

How about getting a good condition ej22 na for cheap and swapping over the needed parts for cheap? Wouldnt be a monster but still decent power and for little money.
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

the ej20tt will not fit/work in usdm cars. the ej20t is a good option as well as rebuilding the ej22t. :o
92 Legacy Turbo \ 5MT \ Silver
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

The idea of getting a EJ22 n/a and just swapping parts is not a very good idea as the n/a has high comp. pistons, doesn't have any oil or water supply or returns for the turbo and the ECU would have to be changed.
AL(CO)
FrmRgz2Rchz
First Gear

Post by FrmRgz2Rchz »

Has anyone done a rebuild themselves and could give me a rough estimate on the price of parts?
Andy Rose
2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
1999 Hyundai Accent
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

I am repairing a EJ22t short block that I aquired because it had a knock and the knock was coming from the most common source, #4 main the thrust bearing. About all it is going to cost me is the price of a set of bearings and a complete gasket set. The original pistons and rings will be used. So I guess there are several options repair,overhaul,rebuild,new short block all getting higher and higher in cost. I would have someone find out where the knock is coming from and do a leak-down test to find out what else is needed and proceed from there. You can contact me if you need any advice I am being assisted by someone who really knows these engines.
AL(CO)
FrmRgz2Rchz
First Gear

Post by FrmRgz2Rchz »

My cousin used to work at a Subaru Dealership, but they still give him his discount. He priced the parts for the rebuild at $500 US. He said the gasket set was the most expensive thing, over $200. Anyone know of a comprable set that is cheaper?
Andy Rose
2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
1999 Hyundai Accent
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

it seems to me that if you are prepared to spend up to 10,000$ us on an ej20t,that you could rebuild the ej22t into a monster and have better torque to boot.just an idea :D
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

legacy92ej22t: Thats what I plan to do, whats wrong with it?
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

If that's what you intend to do, then this discussion is over i would think.

:? :?
-Jason Grahn
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

umm i dont understand your question ciper,you're doing what?besides i thought the question was posted by FrmRgz2Rchz. :?
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

JasonGrahn: I wasnt the original poster, just replying

egacy92ej22t: You said "it seems to me that if you are prepared to spend up to 10,000$ us on an ej20t"

Im saying thats what I plan to do, spend alot to have the usdm wrx ej20t and auto transmission installed into my BF.

I dont see that building up the ej22 is cost effective. You could go cheap with the wrx ej20t and still get easy power because its already tuned by subaru. The turbo 2.2 motor never got the same level of tuning.

Id rather start with a more stable base like the ej20 and go from that point. Besides many people are tuning and will continue to tune the ej20 so ideas and parts are plentiful.
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

well to answer your question i dont think anything is wrong with it.i just think its a lot of money.you could probably spend a lot less on the ej22t and be way above 227hp with better torque.10,000 $ is a lot when a whole wrx is only 24-25,000$.there are also a lot of different opinions out there but i have heard that the ej22t platform over all can put out more and be more reliable then the ej20t.although there is a lot more performanca parts out there for ej20t my opinion is that the ej22t could be the better setup in the long run.just my opinion,like #$%holes everybody has one :lol:
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
FrmRgz2Rchz
First Gear

Post by FrmRgz2Rchz »

Well, I think I have made my decision. I am all about going the most cost effective and efficient way, so I am leaning toward the rebuild. I can get the parts for the rebuild for just a little over $300. That plus whatever the machine shop will charge, and what my cousin will charge to do the work will be my final cost. Shouldn't be more than $1200 or so. Only problem is time. I'll have to wait a little bit longer for it to be finished, but I guess it's worth it for the price. I'll be sure to let everyone know how it turns out and thanks for all the input.
Andy Rose
2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
1999 Hyundai Accent