italian tune-up

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

italian tune-up

Post by IggDawg »

I've noticed every time I get off the highway and onto my twisty backwoods town roads, she seems to perform really well. I figured it was because the constant high velocity air going through the engine would cool down intake components and whatnot, letting cooler air into the engine. Usually it's turning like 3000 on the highway.

Today I was speeding along at around 100-115. Stupid? maybe. Hella fun? yeah. It's christmas eve day so nobody was around. I consider myself capable and cautious enough. anyways, I was at this speed for a good 20 miles or so. First observation I had was how well she operated around these speeds. She just hops right up to 100 and gets to 115 with little effort. Baby's got legs. When I got off the highway and onto the roads to my work, I noticed she was much peppier than usual. she just pulled and pulled whenever I fed her throttle. WOT felt much more responsive than usual. I figured it was the same effect I noticed with cooler intake components. I let her cool for 90 seconds or so since I'd been pushing her hard. I went into work for 5 minutes or so and remembered I had a morning errand to run. So I got back in the car and headed out. Now, it'd been at least 7 minutes since I felt her being responsive right off the highway. plenty of time for heat to soak into any components it wanted to. She still felt really peppy. After I got my 4 mighty boxes of OaTm3aL, she was still really responsive.

I drive my car reasonably hard. I abuse her, but carefully. I work her well within her limits. I try to touch the redline once or twice a day, and do a couple WOT pulls on the highway. I like to keep her insides cleen, and I know she can take it. I ahve yet to hear otherwise. And apparently giving her a genuine italian tune-up occasionally really helps burn out some of the carbon that builds up. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm just psyched that she feels like a new car.

Sorry bout the long story. It's early and I'm bored.
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I don't think there is a day I drive my car I don't touch redline.......the italian tune up thing may have cleaned some stuff out.

However it may be that the car was not driven real hard and the ECU got a continuous steady input of hard driving and readjusted the a/f maps.

I have found that after driving on some long trips 2-3 hrs or so at higher speeds 80-90+ the car seems to perform better.....don't ask me why......just does.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I would describe my driving style as a bit leadfooted, but I rarely take my car up to redline. However, I'm relieved to hear that you all do it regularly and have no issues; I personally have too much mechanical sympathy :o ...

So I guess the ol' saying "blow the carbon out of it" has some merit, huh?

I drive a lot of highway miles, 70-80 constant speeds, so an Italian tune-up wouldn't do me much good...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok