Compression stats on NA engine?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Compression stats on NA engine?

Post by entirelyturbo »

Does anyone know the standard compression (in psi) for a non-turbo? I am still having bad idle and hesitation, even though I have all these new parts:

Spark plugs and wires
Air filter
Fuel pressure regulator
IAC valve

Fuel system (including injectors) are clean, I assume fuel pump is working ok, and I'm going to put a new coilpack and vacuum hoses on.

I can afford a brand new Legacy, but I'm keeping my BC coz I like it so much :o . However, I have enough rationality to know when I'm beating a dead horse. If these remedies don't fix it, I might have to do what I don't want to do...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

Compression ratio is 9.5 to 1 from the factory I would check for manifold leaks, MAF, If you want to put new coilpack on contact me before you do We might have something for you.
AL(CO)
al@iwtu.net
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

The car has been doing this for about 2 years, but I now have the financial resources to fix it :) . The engine runs okay above idle and I'm not burning smoke or coolant, so I really think it's in proper working order.

Wouldn't bad MAF turn the CEL on?

AL, do you have factory Diamond coil packs? I don't want to spend extra on MSD or something like that when it doesn't really add HP...

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

I have the factory diamond coilpacks but I believe I am on to something even better. I will know for sure when some tests are completed, hopefuly in a few days.
AL(CO)
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I can always check, but I don't think it's a manifold leak, unless the actual gaskets are bad, which would suck! There are a whopping 2 vacuum hoses attached directly to the manifold, one for the brake booster, and another for the fuel pressure regulator, and they all check out visually.

Of course, there's the myriad of hoses attached to the intake hose...

*Formerly DerFahrer*

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'm pretty sure I got a nice manifold leak.....haven't found it yet.......I'm assuming it's on the gaskets to the heads.....as there's nothing left to replace...........

The MAF......they can not throw a code and still be a little finicky.......

AL, what you got up your sleeve? I'm curious......shoot me an email.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Well, I did a compression test today, and it behaves like a brand new engine...180-190 psi in all 4 cylinders. So I know the engine's good...I'll work on vacuum hoses and a coilpack for now...

Speaking of coilpacks, yes AL, let me in on this too...this sounds juicy...

*Formerly DerFahrer*

mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

If I let this one out of the bag one of my partners would have me shot at sunrise. But I probably would do the same to them. This really seems to work well on my car and I was always the one to say that the stock setup was pretty good. :? This might be a good alternative to the expensive ign stuff. More soon
AL(CO)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

let us know when you can let the cat out of the bag :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Okay, I put a junkyard MAF on today, it didn't help at all... My car is drinking gas like it was New Yea...tonight :lol: , don't see any black smoke though... It seems the harder you hit the throttle, the slower it goes, right? Did I get another bad MAF or is it my coilpack?

On that subject, AL, how much is this wonderful discovery gonna cost, I'm not made of $$$ anymore :) ...

*Formerly DerFahrer*