Lifters

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Busdriver
First Gear

Lifters

Post by Busdriver »

I took off the valve cover and rockerarm assembly on a 92+ wagon, and was unable to find the lifters, or what I should look for.
I saw the valves sticking out through their springs, but where are the lfiters?
Stock 1991 Legacy L+ AWD 5MT wagon 191k+ mi
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

underside of the rockerarm assembly. They are the little cylinders with the nipples on them. I used pliers to pull them out.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
Busdriver
First Gear

Post by Busdriver »

so are they inbetween the valves top to bottom?

Valve Valve Valve Valve
Lifter Lifter Lifter Lifter
Lifter Lifter Lifter Lifter
Valve Valve Valve Valve
Stock 1991 Legacy L+ AWD 5MT wagon 191k+ mi
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

On the same topic, if one were to pull these, what would be a good upgrade?
98 Steel Widebody RSTi-RA Superbeast
scuzzy
Third Gear

Post by scuzzy »

Splinter wrote:On the same topic, if one were to pull these, what would be a good upgrade?
good question.

Probably no good aftermarket solution, if you're looking for better heads and a higher flowing top end, I'd look into an EJ257 head or something like that.
91 Legacy Wagon, Total Rally Car.

#82 M4 TRSCCA Rallycross

http://www.youtube.com/mobilepolice/
napphappy
Second Gear

Post by napphappy »

The HLA (Hydraulic Lash Adjuster) is located in the rocker arm, not the valve.

New HLAs are the only "upgrade". There is a place on eBay UK that has them ALOT cheaper that the dealer.

If you are thinking of a head swap.
I would recomend Phase I DOHC(EJ25d or EJ20g) as an upgrade before the EJ257 heads. With the biggest reason being you can use factory EM on the Phase I stuff.
1997 White BG Ltd 5MT, EJ22T with Wiescos, EJ20R Heads, Two large dents R.I.P
1995 Impreza EJ22T DOHC Hydra EMS, 20g, EWG, 3in APS TBE, AWIC
Jon_Noob
In Neutral

Lifter Replacment

Post by Jon_Noob »

Hi,

Hope im posting int he correct area.

My 93 Legacy GT Wagon (EJ20G) needs the lifters replaced by the sound of it. They are ticking like mad. Ive changed to a less viscous(sp?) oil and changed the filter, and also tried Lifter Free addative to no avail.

Is it a huge job to replace? im no mechanic and want to know how much labour im looking at being charged to have this fixed.

I bought the wagon for very very cheap (NZ$1500) I told this to one mechanic and he told me the job would cost as much as I paid for the Wagon.

Dont want to get ripped off. Is it a requirement to remove the engine etc?

Basically is it a MAJOR job that will be expensive?

Many thanks for any advice!!
stipro
Third Gear

Re: Lifter Replacment

Post by stipro »

Jon_Noob wrote:Hi,

Hope im posting int he correct area.

My 93 Legacy GT Wagon (EJ20G) needs the lifters replaced by the sound of it. They are ticking like mad. Ive changed to a less viscous(sp?) oil and changed the filter, and also tried Lifter Free addative to no avail.

Is it a huge job to replace? im no mechanic and want to know how much labour im looking at being charged to have this fixed.

I bought the wagon for very very cheap (NZ$1500) I told this to one mechanic and he told me the job would cost as much as I paid for the Wagon.

Dont want to get ripped off. Is it a requirement to remove the engine etc?

Basically is it a MAJOR job that will be expensive?

Many thanks for any advice!!
Well for starters, welcome to LegacyCentral.
You shouldn't jump to conclusions just yet about your lifters. The problem may simply be air in you HLA (hydraulic lash adjusters. You could pull them out yourself and bleed them. No, you do not have to pull the engine, its not really a major job. Try that before you go spending alot of money on something you may be able to do in your driveway.
Jon_Noob
In Neutral

Post by Jon_Noob »

many thanks for the quick reply.
i have no mechanical skills, but am not exactly unintelegent, so you think bleeding the HLA would be fairly straight forward?

how would air get into the HLA? Could it be the other morning when it was really cold and I started the car and it clanked like a deisel for about a minute? As from that morning on, it has ticked.
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

Jon_Noob wrote:many thanks for the quick reply.
i have no mechanical skills, but am not exactly unintelegent, so you think bleeding the HLA would be fairly straight forward?

how would air get into the HLA? Could it be the other morning when it was really cold and I started the car and it clanked like a deisel for about a minute? As from that morning on, it has ticked.
Unfortunately, on your engine it is not a simple operation like on the Ej22's that people are working on here in the states. On the Ej20G the HLA's are actually under the cams, and as such, requir es removal of both the timing belt and the camshafts themselves. It's not really a noob mechanic operation in my book. So, yes, it is an expensive repair if that's the problem...
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

Matt Monson wrote:Unfortunately, on your engine it is not a simple operation like on the Ej22's that people are working on here in the states. On the Ej20G the HLA's are actually under the cams, and as such, requir es removal of both the timing belt and the camshafts themselves. It's not really a noob mechanic operation in my book. So, yes, it is an expensive repair if that's the problem...
Yeah listen to him, he would know probably better than anyone else on this site :D .