Bad EJ20 Injector in my Leggy SS

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Suba-Ken
In Neutral

Bad EJ20 Injector in my Leggy SS

Post by Suba-Ken »

So the jdm ej20 in my 94 Leggy SS running on the ej22 ecu and harness is throwing a 14 cel code: 'Injector 1 is returning abnormal signal'. I pulled out the offending injector and it did look a bit dirty. I don't really know what it should look like anyway.

What should be my next move? Pull out all injectors and get them cleaned and flow-tested or look for a set of used ones off a wrx? Do I have other options (if I don't want to flash the ecu etc). Your ideas and feedback will be appreciated.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If you are getting a code, the electrical portion of the injector is probably the cause. You should replace the injector.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

Post by Bheinen74 »

you can sort of do a test by comparing all four injectors while the car is running. Just get a stethiscope, and place the end of the probe onto the injector hold down shields. you should hear rapid clicking on the good injectors. The bad injector will have either no clicking, or very faint in loudness compared to the other good injectors. good way to see if one injector is weak. if clicks slower, quieter, it is a weak injector, replace with a good unit.
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 4eat
91crx si 165k
91 Civic RT4WD manual trans 168k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k
Suba-Ken
In Neutral

Post by Suba-Ken »

Good point about the clicking noise. I noticed it right away after the swap and I didn't even need a stethiscope. In fact, I could simply touch the fuel filter, the fuel lines or any injector and feel the clicking vibrations.
So I guess I'll swap in one of the original EJ22T injectors. Or should I swap the whole set?
Suba-Ken
In Neutral

Injector Swapped

Post by Suba-Ken »

I removed one of the original EJ22T injectors and, even though it looked different and the connector was upside down, I installed it into the EJ20T rail. A short, unspirited drive around the neighborhood throws not CEL codes and the engine seems to have normal power.
The only thing is, there is a bit of oil smoke coming from the passenger side valve cover. It seems like a hose that connects to the valve cover in between the cylinders has come loose. Except, I cannot find the hose or where the other end should connect.
On the driver's side, the same location has a hose which seems to be running back into the intake manifold.
I need help!
napphappy
Second Gear

Post by napphappy »

DO NOT mix injectors. You will end up running lean in the cylinder that you installed the pink injector. On boost you could run lean and burn something up.
1997 White BG Ltd 5MT, EJ22T with Wiescos, EJ20R Heads, Two large dents R.I.P
1995 Impreza EJ22T DOHC Hydra EMS, 20g, EWG, 3in APS TBE, AWIC
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I would have swapped a known good (any injector but #1) in place of the #1 injector, and put the #1 injector in place of the old one.

Reset the ECU and drive the car.

If it comes back and says Injector #3 is a fault, then there you go. It's definately the injector rather than the wiring.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

BAC5.2 wrote:I would have swapped a known good (any injector but #1) in place of the #1 injector, and put the #1 injector in place of the old one.

Reset the ECU and drive the car.

If it comes back and says Injector #3 is a fault, then there you go. It's definately the injector rather than the wiring.
agreed... and easy to do since a pair comes out with the rail anyway.
- Junior
90L Wagon EJ22E on Toyota CT-26 boost -- Crushed!
95L Wagon on T3/T4 boost :)
www.trdsupra.com [b][url=http://trdsupra.com/library/forsale/]Cheap parts![/url][/b][quote="Imprezive"]alright, I give up, I'm going to NASIOC...[/quote]
Suba-Ken
In Neutral

Post by Suba-Ken »

napphappy is right - the symptoms I saw by mixing the injectors were classic lean symptoms. But I think my test did confirm that the one injector I took out is in fact bad.

So it is time to look for a used unit. Except I don't know what to look for: How does one identify an injector for part # etc - other than taking it in to a shop?