Injector failure, what other injectors can I use...

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

tmarcel
First Gear

Injector failure, what other injectors can I use...

Post by tmarcel »

Well yeah, as of yeterday, I've got a 'code 17' for Injector #4 inoperative or something like that. The trouble actually started about 1/2 mile after I left my driveway. I had just replaced the knock sensor as well so I thought that might be a problem. My first thought was that I'd bumped something loose etc. Nothing was found.

Today, I checked voltage at each injector plug wire connector and they were all within a few .10th/volts of each other. I ruled out a faulty connector by doing that. I then check it with the motor running and pretty much the same result but just at a higher voltage for all of them.

Thereafter, I drove it to meet my friend who works at a salvage yard. He said he had a 93/94 NA Legacy motor on hand so maybe I can grab the injectors from it. However, on the way there the engine began to run normal again (all cylinders firing). Then, something I noticed after I stopped at a traffic light was that it was a little rough compared to normal idle though.

So I tell my friend to let me see the motor and it's got red injectors rather than black like the ones that are in my '90 AT LS AWD model. I remember seeing in a pdf that the AT injectors are different than the MT ones. SO I said thanks but they won't work with the basic ECU that I've got.

So I've got three questions. 1.) Is the injector likely getting lazy? Again it was not working at all and after driving it, it began to work again (but not perfect). It stopped working again just a moment ago after going WOT toi redline. Then I turned the car off and after starting it again was almost okay with the slightly missing idle. 2.) Are those red injectors from that 93/94 Legacy from an MT or AT? Can they work? 3.) I've got access to an '02 Forester complete manifold. The injectors are top feed but I wonder if the entire manifold harnesses would be a direct fit?

Sorry guys I'm at a bit of a loss with these more vintage Subarus, not to mention OBD1 LOL! :lol:

P.S. I spliced in an extra WRX knock sensor that I had with the original Legacy sensor connector and it works perfectly.
1.) '02 WRX-2482cc-TD06H-20G-FMIC (just sold)
2.) '90 Legacy-2.5 turbo, VF39, Haltech E8 in-hand - waiting for the 5mt swap
ej22t
Second Gear

Post by ej22t »

Have you try to check the injector plug?
Somehow if its not connect well, it may have problem of missfire on the injector!
Better check the connection before swap the other injector.

Hope it could help!

Ben
92 Legacy turbo with EJ20G engine swap \(^0^)/
tmarcel
First Gear

Post by tmarcel »

ej22t wrote:Have you try to check the injector plug?
Somehow if its not connect well, it may have problem of missfire on the injector!
Better check the connection before swap the other injector.

Hope it could help!

Ben
Thanks Ben, but I already did that...
I checked voltage at each injector plug wire connector and they were all within a few .10th/volts of each other
Like I said, the injector just seems lazy if that's even possible. In the 3 years of tuning cars, I've never seen a car do this.
tmarcel
First Gear

Update...

Post by tmarcel »

Well the injector was in fact bad. I checked the resistance and it reads 21.4, while the others all read about 11.7-11.8 (I checked this twice to be certain). That injector is nearly twice what the others read.

I'm going to pick up a set of red top ones from a 93/94 model. Hopefully they're the same flow rate. I must say, I've never seen or heard of an injector going bad like that.
tmarcel
First Gear

Post by tmarcel »

If anybody cares the 1993 NA redtop injectors and rails were swapped in place of the stock 90/91 NA beige injectors and rails. Swapping the rails was a direct fit. The redtop injectors resistance is 10.8 vs the 11.7 beige ones (and of course the screwed up one that was reading 21.x).

Idle is now perfect :) I may bump up the static rail pressure a little. Seems that it is a little more flat now under WOT as the rpms go up. Where the beige ones seemed to pull a little better. The injectors are rated the same flow rate but have slightly different bottom designs.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You really need to keep the injectors meant for the ECU that is running them.

I swapped the 92-94 red top injectors in my 90. It too felt kind of sluggish/flat, and gas mileage sucked ass. I swapped in at 92 ECU, car came back to life, and mileage did improve slightly.

The resistance of the injector, and nozzle design dictate the flow of the injector, which the ECU is programmed with. You change the injectors, and the car's not going to run the way it's supposed to.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
tmarcel
First Gear

Post by tmarcel »

I think once I bump up the line pressure it'll come back to life. I work/tune on a Mustang dyno so I may have a before and after of the results. I'm just not there full time so getting the car on there (and the owner not laughing at me) is a task.

Todd