Do I use throttle body cleaner to clean the MAF sensor?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ericem
Fifth Gear

Do I use throttle body cleaner to clean the MAF sensor?

Post by ericem »

I went to my auto store and asked for mass air flow cleaner and they said to just use throttle body cleaner, i bough it. Now i just want to double check, it is proper to use this on the MAF sensor and spray it directly on the MAF right? Im also going to spray down the throttle body. Thanks.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
Carbix
First Gear

Post by Carbix »

I found MAF cleaner so... I guess it might work but i feel a lot better with the real stuff. Being that its like 180 if u fugel it up :-D
|====.[Legacy. Central].====|
|...............................................|
|=+[Leaving A True Legacy]+=|
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Well i sprayed it, and i cleaned out my dirty throttle body lots of dirt/dust around on inbetween the throttle piece. I wiped it and sprayed it REALLY thick. and its now nice and clean in there, not a spec of anything. And i sprayed the MAF with a little of the cleaner. So far i noticed it idles a bit better. Other then that no large difference. I guess ill see the difference next time i fill up. Im hoping changed the knock sensor makes a difference that will blow my mind :D
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
Carbix
First Gear

Post by Carbix »

me too
FuJi K
First Gear

Post by FuJi K »

the knock sensor on my EJ22T cracked...so I put my '99 knock sensor on it and just plug in the connector pin to the terminal on the plug.
MY99 GF4 5spd DIY Modified
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

FuJi K wrote:the knock sensor on my EJ22T cracked...so I put my '99 knock sensor on it and just plug in the connector pin to the terminal on the plug.
any difference??
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

The MAF is very sensitive. If your car isn't broken, don't take it apart. I would clean it with a Q-Tip and some rubbing alcohol if your car is running poorly. IF AND ONLY IF it is running poorly. Wimpy idle is not a good reason to take the MAF off.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Manarius wrote:The MAF is very sensitive. If your car isn't broken, don't take it apart. I would clean it with a Q-Tip and some rubbing alcohol if your car is running poorly. IF AND ONLY IF it is running poorly. Wimpy idle is not a good reason to take the MAF off.
little late now, i sprayed it really good, car seems smoother and better 0-60 performance as said. And at idle its SUPER smooth now.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Manarius wrote:The MAF is very sensitive. If your car isn't broken, don't take it apart. I would clean it with a Q-Tip and some rubbing alcohol if your car is running poorly. IF AND ONLY IF it is running poorly. Wimpy idle is not a good reason to take the MAF off.
I would be more hesitant to touch it with a q-tip than spray it off.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

IronMonkeyL255 wrote:I would be more hesitant to touch it with a q-tip than spray it off.
I can agree with that. However, throttle body cleaner seems a bit strong.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
Carbix
First Gear

Post by Carbix »

IronMonkeyL255 wrote:
I would be more hesitant to touch it with a q-tip than spray it off.
Spray sounds more safe to mee. Im a big guy and i know i would crush the two little wires in the MAF with a Q-Tip. A Q_tip might be good for the outer casing of it but not the two wires