How-To Install a New Alternator: Just to Show How Easy It Is

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Cynt
In Neutral

How-To Install a New Alternator: Just to Show How Easy It Is

Post by Cynt »

Installing a new Alternator
on a 91 legacy turbo

I was having hesitation issues ever since I bought the car back in September. At first I thought it was just how the car was, being that it was the first legacy I had driven, as well as being stock, 16 years old and not 100% maintained. However, after intercooling and raising boost something began to irk me. The hesitation problem seemed to be intermittent and I began to do some research here on the boards, everything fit for the alternator being my problem as I had new plugs and wires. I Ordered a new Alternator and it sat for a few weeks because I was hesitant about changing it out. It looked like it would be really easy but I had never messed with belts before. One thing I've learned with car work is that it is never as easy in my head as it is once I'm working on the car.
To sum it up, it was easier than I had thought. That's why I am writing this up for any new guys that may have any hesitation about this.

Need:

10 & 12 mm sockets or wrenches
New Alternator
30-45 minutes

Steps:

Unbolt the cover over the A/C Compressor. 2 10mm bolts

Loosen the Drivers side Alt stud (12 mm), mind the nut plate in the back of the Alt, don't take it all the way out yet this is just so you can do the next step.

Remove the other protective plate, 1 10 mm bolt, tilt to the drivers side, plate should come free.

Loosen the belt tension bolt 12 mm, this lets tension off the belt so that you can take out the old alternator.

Remove the 12 mm bolt connecting the passenger side of the Alt and then the 12 mm stud on the drivers side, pay attention to all the washers.

Old out, new in. put it all back like you found it.

I tightened the belt about as tight as it had been and gave it a 1/4 turn, it seems fine. If anyone could give exact info that would be great.

I never thought of an alternator as a performance mod until I took the car into work this AM... what a difference! Everything is smoother, tighter and faster. If you have hesitation issues, do your car a favor and swap it out with a better unit.

Please let me know if I'm an idiot and missed something or am very mistaken. :!:
2006 Steel Grey Impreza 2.5i wagon
1991 Black Trucklinered Legacy SS
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Heh, I installed an alternator in a Kragen parking lot in Salt Lake City back in January. From the time I left my friend's house, got gas, drove around looking for a parts store, pulled and tested the alternator, installed a new one, and got on the road, exactly one hour had passed.

Here are the three pictures I took:

Image Image Image
Cynt
In Neutral

Post by Cynt »

It's That easy, you don't need a how to. when i looked I did not find much and i was looking at the thing going, "its right there un-bolt it and re-wire & re-bolt... it cant be that easy..."

It's that easy so when some shmuck like me looks for a how-to, the will find: It's Easy! :-D
Subaru_Nation555
Third Gear

Post by Subaru_Nation555 »

Nice! Where did you order the alternator from and what brand was it?
'06 Impreza 2.5i wagon
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

Subaru designed this car to be easily fixed and maintained by the average home mechanic. There's a reason everything is so easy to fix. Glad to see you figured it all out!
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
Cynt
In Neutral

Post by Cynt »

Think it was through sparkplugs.com, think they ended up having the best shipping to Hawaii. Pretty sure it's a Denso rebuilt unit. it's the shineist thing in my engine bay... :twisted:

can't wait for my drive home once the roads have emptied out...