Ej22T engine into 94 impreza... Engine wiring decision time.

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

SuperRallyRoo
Third Gear

Ej22T engine into 94 impreza... Engine wiring decision time.

Post by SuperRallyRoo »

What do you guys think would be the better way to make this beast run in the new rally car? My options are having someone wire it up with the current harness and adding some of the turbo stuff and running it all on standalone. OR somehow try to run the factory 91 legacy SS wiring in the 94 body. Or just trimming the harness that makes the engine run and putting it all in a little bundle inside the engine bay? My only issue with the later is this will be splashing through huge puddles at times and flying down dirt roads at 100mph and I don't want any electrical problems. Thoughts?
Legacyless
98 Jetta TDI
s'ko
In Neutral

Post by s'ko »

trimming the harness to just the engine bits would be the easiest.

I think that if you were to make sure that all of the connections and lose wires are sealed properly and shielded there shouldn't be any problems.

I am going this route w/a RX. It's not going to be a rally monster like yours, just a wolf in sheeps clothing WRX eater.

BW
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

I would go with the standalone option, if you've got the money - then you can tune it for race gas, or whatever it is you'll be running.

I was considering swapping intake manifold harnesses (changing any plugs that weren't the same) and adding any necessary wiring (boost controller, etc), so that the bulk of the harness is the original Impreza harness. I think that'll be the fastest way to do it.
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

I would suggest that you trim the SS harness down and add that to your Impreza. The Legacy has the ECU on the drivers side under the dash however. Some wires would need to be lengthened to get the ECU under the passenger floorboard in the Impreza.

This might involve cutting/splicing wires in the engine bay, not the best choice for a rally car. If your meticulous with your work you could actually make it more waterproff than a factory one.

If you can source a Impreza EJ20G harness for cheap, it would be a very easy conversion to run an ej22t and it would also fit the car pretty good. Only have to deal with a few LHD/RHD differences.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

if it was me Id use the impreza harness since its an OBD1 car. having to run a couple extra wires and switch a couple would be worth it because you wouldnt have to pull the dash/wiring harness out of the imp and you would end up with wiring that was a lot cleaner than a ball of SS crap. ej22t-OBD1 impreza is supposed to be a pretty easy conversion as subarus go.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

You need to merge the two wiring harness's. You can find WAY more info at rs25.com
Kickin' it old-school.