Differences between NA / Turbo radiator (beside filler cap)?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Differences between NA / Turbo radiator (beside filler cap)?

Post by ciper »

My memory fails me but I swear I remember that one of the radiators was taller and because of this the "frame" below it was different. Who can clarify with measurements and such?
thehookeup
Third Gear

Post by thehookeup »

im pretty sure they are nearly the same, other than the cap in a different spot. they have the tranny oil cooler
-93 2.2T (RIP), 93 N/A best car on earth.
-00 legGT, 18" PIAA sport mesh wheels, front/rear Rallitek sways, lowered whitelines, coming soon: 2.5L sti internals, 20g heads P&P, twin charged. motor is almost ready to go in.
Andrew
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I don't recall measuring the difference in lower mounting heights on my parts turbo and the N/A wagon (and the parts car is long gone), but the turbo radiator is 17.25" and the N/A 16" tall. The hood on my N/A won't come close to closing with the turbo radiator.

The tranny cooler is only on the autos.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

That is good to know.

What is needed to modify an NA body to fit a turbo radiator? I assume it is only the lower mount but isnt this part welded/painted to the car? I'm very interested in the koyo radiator someone recently reviewed.

I am sick and tired of the crap OE radiator end tanks cracking. I'd bet that more Legacys die of cracked radiators than any other cause (including accidents)
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Yeah, my replacement N/A is only 4 years old and crumbling so I don't want to trust it with the turbo, but the turbo radiator I have won't fit, so that's one reason the car's been sitting for a couple years.

There's a double-skin lower mount welded in place, which is why I'm reluctant to modify it. Any time you cut metal up here, you're looking for corrosion issues. Looks like there's only about a half inch to gain anyway by removing the upper skin.

That's why I was wondering if the Impreza one fits, possibly being shorter than the turbo Legacy.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I bet we could contact the manufacturer of it (or a similar unit) and get the specifications. I have only found one all metal radiator for the NA Legacy and it was a little too soft for my liking. I almost broke the filler neck clean off the first time I replaced the cap.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Are the NA and turbo chassis different in every model year, or just in 1990 or just in 1990 and 1991?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

evolutionmovement wrote:
That's why I was wondering if the Impreza one fits, possibly being shorter than the turbo Legacy.
My impression while looking for myself a KOYO was the turbo legs and the GC impreza were the same. I am really interested now, since that is the next item on the shopping list
2011 Mini Countryman S All4
1970 Honda Ct90
2001 Forester S of Doom - mowed down by a Cummins
1994/5/6/01/02/03/04/06/07/08 Impregacy OUtback SS STi Type R money pit- NEW RALLYCAR!!
GLCraigGT
First Gear

Post by GLCraigGT »

There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't.

2009 STI, It's staying stock, well at least the first 100K
84 GL Wagon With Factory Brushgaurd, The Lack of Power Wagon RallyX machine.
SemperGuard
Second Gear

Post by SemperGuard »

vrg3 wrote:Are the NA and turbo chassis different in every model year, or just in 1990 or just in 1990 and 1991?
All of the NA Legacys have the same size radiators, and same space from bottom to top in the chassis, and all the turbos have larger radiators, and larger space.
livestrong14
Fourth Gear

Post by livestrong14 »

So people who have swapped to a Turbo engine in a non-turbo legacy can't use Turbo radiators? Can the N/A radiators handle that task?
91 SS -Carbon Bronze Pearl
EJ257/EJ205 Hybrid
Built by NWSS www.simplysubie.com

93 Ford Ranger-DD
91 Rio Red SS- RallyX Project
93 AWD Sedan- FOR SALE!

Sponsors: NWSS, Forced Performance, Surgeline, RalliTEK
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

livestrong14 wrote:So people who have swapped to a Turbo engine in a non-turbo legacy can't use Turbo radiators? Can the N/A radiators handle that task?

No, they can...Jake Talbot (Jake15) knows how to modify the radiator to make it fit in a NA chassis (as his began life NA)...NA Radiators can handle the task to an extent, but from what I have seen, they tend to run a wee bit hotter.
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
livestrong14
Fourth Gear

Post by livestrong14 »

How do you go about modifying it? What has to be done?
91 SS -Carbon Bronze Pearl
EJ257/EJ205 Hybrid
Built by NWSS www.simplysubie.com

93 Ford Ranger-DD
91 Rio Red SS- RallyX Project
93 AWD Sedan- FOR SALE!

Sponsors: NWSS, Forced Performance, Surgeline, RalliTEK
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I dont think the radiator was modified. I cant see how you can make it an inch shorter
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Thanks, SemperGuard. I was wondering if it was a 1990 thing because the only evidence I heard of before was from 1990 models, which just happens to be the one year that there was no turbo model.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
SemperGuard
Second Gear

Post by SemperGuard »

You have to cut and weld the lower radiator support. As was said, the NA radiator is fine to an extent. Track it and it overheats.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

So do the N/A Imprezas have the same size as the turbo Legacy's? Would seem to make sense, I guess, as the shell was used for the Impreza turbo/WRX.
SemperGuard
Second Gear

Post by SemperGuard »

No, only 90-99 NA legacys have the small radiator, and small size. But it's not all bad. I have an idea that I want to confirm 100% before I post anything. Impreza, Forester, 00+ Leg/BAJA all have larger rad and size.
nortonjefferson
First Gear

Re: Differences between NA / Turbo radiator (beside filler c

Post by nortonjefferson »

Bump from the dead, does anyone have photos of how they modified their NA crossmember to fit a turbo radiator? I have a means of fabricating and cutting but id like to see how others have done it (if they have) before I buy a turbo rad and commit to cutting stuff up. Thanks!
White 1993 L Wagon AWD 5MT-FXT lift, 27” MTs 380xxx miles
White 1991 L sedan AWD 5MT-(Robtune 550 DOHC Ej22t swap coming together) 187xxx miles
Black 2005 LGT 5MT-Ej20x swapped daily, VF40/elh
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I know there is a small handful of people that have modified the lower radiator support so hopefully they took pictures and can chime in. However, as I understand it, the entire lower core support is just lower. The turbo support's bends that attach to the chassis are longer so the horizontal part of the core support sits lower to accommodate the taller radiator.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
impostor
First Gear

Post by impostor »

Here's my story for informational purposes. I have a 95 Impreza with an EJ22t swap done by me in 2003. I installed the correct legacy turbo radiator, and it fit like crap. It was too big so I angled it back slightly at the bottom which also made the fans come within about a quater inch of the front engine accessories. A year ago the LH tank cracked. I went through our inventory or radiators at the shop and noticed how the 04-08 FXT aluminum Koyo radiator had everything in the right places. Almost fits like a glove. I did have to buy the FXT style upper support brackets. I used an FXT cooling fan shroud and blades, and legacy fan motors. I have an engine bay shot in my "AWIC folks..." thread.

Sooo, based on what you guys are saying, it sounds to me like the n/a legacy and n/a impreza are closer in dimensions.
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

If you need to buy a new radiator anyway I would look in to a gt radiator with a thicker core, it fits the n/a opening and has more cooling. I have a new oem one going in my car when I do the motor swap.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

nortonjefferson
First Gear

Post by nortonjefferson »

Thankyou everyone for your input/suggestions! Looks like I'll be opting for the gt radiator, Josh is spectra the brand of radiator you're running? Or just oem? If spectra have you had any issues in the long term with it? i think I'll just spring for a 96-97 gt spectra model! Thanks again everyone, I know this has been covered a lot lol.

EDIT: I ordered up the spectra legacy gt radiator. $102 with tax and free shipping from amazon. For anyone referencing this for info the SPECTRA part number is "CU2082"
White 1993 L Wagon AWD 5MT-FXT lift, 27” MTs 380xxx miles
White 1991 L sedan AWD 5MT-(Robtune 550 DOHC Ej22t swap coming together) 187xxx miles
Black 2005 LGT 5MT-Ej20x swapped daily, VF40/elh
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I ended up getting a Subaru OEM GT radiator.

Let us know how the Spectra radiator is and if you don't mind sharing some pictures that would be great.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT