thinking about taking the engine apart

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

thinking about taking the engine apart

Post by SILINC3R »

hey I have a 1990 legacy ls with 233000 miles on it and have thought about pulling the engine apart and cleaning it and putting new gaskets in it. would this be a good idea or give me anymore peformance. thanks :?
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

it's called a reseal, and I'd only do it if you leak oil. Do not split the block.
Kickin' it old-school.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

i dont leak oil but i think it burns oil. however it does not burn enough that it comes out of the exhaust. when oil gets low the engine starts making a knocking or ticking noise
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Do a cylinder leakdown test to see where the oil is going. If its the valve seals, then you can reseal those, but rings get a lot more complicated if you haven't split a block or removed pistons before. I've described leakdown tests before, just search under my name. You have a 90, so I assume its N/A.

I'd say it's not worth it to tear it down, You dont lose coolant do you?
Kickin' it old-school.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

yes it is a n/a unfortunitly, but no it does not leak coolant
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

you so i am new to the website and am not sure how to search your name or your topic
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

go to search at the very top, type leakdown in the terms,then type arctic assassian in the author field, then hit enter. The second result has the instructions about three posts down.
Kickin' it old-school.
Saskatoon Subaru
Second Gear

Post by Saskatoon Subaru »

It's not worth your time or money to rip an engine and replace all the seals unless your really pouring liquid form everywhere, or your rings or busted and burning oil like crazy.

Couple months ago i rebuilt a 90 N/A engine do to the keyway on the crankshaft being very damaged. This engine had 260,000+km and the internals were in very good shape for the years and km on it.

Just cause it's a old car with many miles, doesn't mean its falling apart inside.
2010 Impreza WRX - 265hp

1990 Legacy 267,000km(Rebuild complete 265,423km----March 9/2008)

1991 Legacy Turbo 180,000km
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

yea i guess i should listen i just want to do everything i can to keep it running smoothly
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

change your oil every 3000, air filter every 15000 and your plugs 30000. just keep the fluids clean, and they wont degrade things.
Kickin' it old-school.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

yea i do the oil change and i have an aftermarket intake. but i am thinking about upgrading the sparkpugs.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I dont believe in 3000 mile oil changes unless you are using 99cents a quart store brand oil.

In our brand new g35 we are going for about 15-20k oil changes (with some super sized filters).
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

^people will always differ on that subject. I am a firm believer in keeping the oil running through my motor clean.
Kickin' it old-school.
Saskatoon Subaru
Second Gear

Arctic Assassian wrote:^people will always differ on that subject. I am a firm believer in keeping the oil running through my motor clean.

i second that. i run Mobil 1 synthetic oil, and i change it every 5000km(3000miles) or 3 months, my oil is always clean, and that the way i like it.
2010 Impreza WRX - 265hp

ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Try replacing the PCV valve. Fixed my burning oil problem. It HAS to be a OEM pcv valve btw.

lol funny you guys say, EVERYTIME i get a oil change the oil is soooooooooo black and thick. Yet its always full. Car has 312,000km now equiv to like 200K+ miles. I am thinking to try synthetic. What usually tells me its time for a oil change or it's low is the lifters knocking from time to time.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Filters dont filter when they are new. I hope your 3k oil changes do not include filter changes or you might be doing more harm than good.

Besides, kevlar trash bags would be better than regular old plastic but better is not always "better"

The history of oil changes may surprise you. Don't you think its odd that 3k oil changes are no longer required by new cars? Older cars didnt require originally either.
Instead of spending the extra money on "feel good" oil why not send it off to BlackStone Labs and get a real idea of whats going on?
Saskatoon Subaru
Second Gear

where do you get the logic or information that filters don't filter when they are new?
2010 Impreza WRX - 265hp

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Same with air filters. The large holes in the filter let the small particles past. It takes some time before these large holes fill up and the filter starts to work better. I didn't invent the idea honest!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Ciper,

While I agree with you that as filter media fills, it will filter out finer particles.

However to say "large" holes is a real misnomer. Filters are designed to filter particles above a certain size, 10 micron, 20, etc. As the filter media fills, it's true you may stop smaller sized particles, but you do this at a reduced overall flowrate through the filter and typically create a higher differential pressure across the filter.

If the filter was properly designed, then the fact the smaller particles pass through the filter really don't matter because they should not cause any issues suspended in the oil circulating in the engine.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Large relatively speaking ;)

Current engine designs aren't much different than ours and the change intervals are fairly long. Its not unheard of to go over 10k miles between changes on cars that have an automatic oil life calculator.

Either way why not spend the extra money on oil analysis rather than replacing it? You'd not only know when it was time to change but also have a trend that would show any other problems within the engine.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

so how would you go about sending in your oil
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

With the free oil collection kit :)
I assume you have a Fumoto?

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free_test_kit.html
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

probably not because i have no idea what that is
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

A fumoto valve allows you to change the oil without needing tools. If you get the nipple version you wont even get dirty when draining the pan. Its basically a high pressure gas valve mounted in place of the drain plug

It also lets you remove any amount of oil you want, say for analysis.

SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

very nice I like, now how to do i get one
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP