Koyo & Mishimoto Radiator Failures!!! (Legacy Turbo Models)

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

I have one of these. Watching this.
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Post by Legacy Rally Guy »

I was saving for one, almost bought it from race inspired, but I said, "feck it, I'm buying a stock one until I hit 400HP...

I picked up a decent OEM quality radiator for about 160 shipped...

the only reason my old one failed is that I had a kink in my hose that runs from the radiator to the collection tank...

what's wierd is that the 91 Legacy Turbo radiator cap is a 13psi radiator cap, which the full aluminum radiator should have NO PROB surviving. I'm guessing the jig for the welding isn't fitted properly or is bent...

Any competant radiator shop should be capable of repairing a full aluminum radiator, even if it's closing off that one vein... it'd just be a matter of cleaning/etching and welding... even if there's a chunk missing, the full aluminum radiators are repairable...

Kenyon Machine in San Diego could handle the weld job... I've seen an aluminum V8 head with a crack, repaired back to new.. *fararri 388* I think. AND they're cheap cheap because they have been around for a long time.
1991 Legacy N/A- Being built to withstand zombie apocalypse!
2004 WRX STi- (GT3076r, 850cc Deatchwerks, Unequal Length Headers, FMIC, Alum Driveshaft, Camber Kit, Daily Driver)
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

well guys i got some good news!!

i called koyo agian today and this time i got a hold of the performance rad department head guy, hes a very nice gentelman and i showed him this post and told him all about the problems a couple of use are haveing with our rads.

i told him about the rads breaking in the same spot and he is going to work with use to resolve the problems.

he also told me that our legacy koyo rads are the only ones made bye hand.

so hopefully the pepole with the broken rads like the two i have in the same spot will get new ones so we can enjoy our raceing rads with out any other problems.
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

This is good news!

(going out to take pics now)
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

So what are we supposed to do? Do I need to get ahold of this guy? I still have the Koyo packaging if he wants me to sent it to him.
→Dan

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Legacy Rally Guy wrote: Any competant radiator shop should be capable of repairing a full aluminum radiator, even if it's closing off that one vein... it'd just be a matter of cleaning/etching and welding... even if there's a chunk missing, the full aluminum radiators are repairable...

Kenyon Machine in San Diego could handle the weld job... I've seen an aluminum V8 head with a crack, repaired back to new.. *fararri 388* I think. AND they're cheap cheap because they have been around for a long time.

I don't think you can weld the core tubes to the end tank since they are brazed. You'd have to weld all of them. I would think that they could re-braze it.
→Dan

NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

OMG you see your inspection tag, thats the same inspector that inspected my rads. who ever cheaked the rads should be fired for makeing us have to go threw all this.

imagin how many other pepole are out there with this inspection tag the same as ours!!! this might not look to go for koyo, i got two you got one so far thats three rads down!!!!

i spoke with him he is watch this thread very close, the best bet would be to call him up its the california branch ask for K head of performance rad branch and tell him your pics are up in the thread and ask him what he wants you to do. this is your best bet, becuse you might have to speak with the guys that got you the rad and deal with them first then he can help you out like what i have to do.

but make sure he goes to this thread and sees your post while he is on the phone with you so he knows everything
subaru_styles
Third Gear

Post by subaru_styles »

any update on this issue..i need to buy a new rad
1994 SS "JDM-OEM"

1997 2.5gt wagon, ricebowl, 207 swapped

1999 lifted 2.5gt wagon,"tokyo weekender"

1994 gt wagon, next build

1994 turbo wagon
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

i keep try to get new rads and am talking to koyo but i have no clue monday i am going to go back at this.

also did you call them and let them know where you got your rad from becuse do that first!! and i think you should send the rad to them and tell them to ship it to koyo
subaru_styles
Third Gear

Post by subaru_styles »

well i dont have a koyo now now but i need to boy one very soon. just want to make sure i don't get one out of the "defected" batch
1994 SS "JDM-OEM"

1994 turbo wagon
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I've been so damn busy I keep forgetting to call the guy.

NICO, who am I supposed to talk to? Do you a name or a number?
→Dan

dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

I was all about getting a Koyo radiator for my '92 SS, but not if they are having problems with these. Yes, I realize that only 3-4 of them having problems is a low count, BUT if they are leaking from a similar spot that up the possibility that others who are not on this forum may have the same issue.

Also those outside people don't belong to this forum, they aren't aware others share this problem and need to make Koyo aware of it.

I have an extra OEM turbo rad, and it looks like that's golden for me at this point. I've also pointed this out to a few local guys that were thinking of jumping on the Koyo bandwagon & are holding off to see what the out come of this thread is.
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

NICO, I sent you a PM.
'94 TW
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

Any more info on Koyo rads? Puddle in the driveway says I might have to buy one.

Also wondering if the stock fans and shroud bolt right up to the Koyo?

Thanks.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

MY second one was solid after that. The koyo's that went bad seemed to be made right around the same time.
→Dan

Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

Yes, you should buy one and yes stock fans and shroud bolt right up...

1 year and counting on mine with no leaks...

<knocks wood>

Done two hot track days with it and engine temps never went high (235 if memory serves me)...

Get lots of complements on it too. Because it's bad-ass...

Cheers,
AW
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
Airgne
Second Gear

Post by Airgne »

good to know. i never saw this tell now.
1997 Nissan Laurel ClubS25t
2001 Legacy Gt Ltd(167awhp&165.7awtq)Best 00-04 Legacy at WCSS11(West Coast Subaru Show)
1992 Legacy SS(Sold)
1991 Legacy L Wagon(Sold)(400,000+miles and running strong!!)
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Re: KOYO RADIATORS FAILURES!!! (91 94 legacy turbos model)

Post by bmxpunk »

Mine popped in the same spot. I believe I purchased mine around the same time as you all, but my radiator lasted a little longer, before leaking. Took it to a local shop and they said they cant repair it (can use an epoxy but wouldn't trust it on a race car).

Did anyone ever get a warranty from Koyo? If so who do I need to talk to in order to make it happen?
2011 Mini Countryman S All4
1970 Honda Ct90
2001 Forester S of Doom - mowed down by a Cummins
1994/5/6/01/02/03/04/06/07/08 Impregacy OUtback SS STi Type R money pit- NEW RALLYCAR!!
subaru_styles
Third Gear

Post by subaru_styles »

this is why i bought a mishimoto :-D
1994 SS "JDM-OEM"

1994 turbo wagon
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

1970 Honda Ct90
1994/5/6/01/02/03/04/06/07/08 Impregacy OUtback SS STi Type R money pit- NEW RALLYCAR!!
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

Two years and 24k later mines still going great strong. Knock wood. Not leaking. It was professionally installed by the best tho.
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

To: tyler_patik@yahoo.com
Sent: Wed, April 6, 2011 6:15:27 PM
Subject: Koyo Radiators

Hello Tyler, we received your message regarding your radiator. Our product policies and warranty procedures are located here on our website: http://www.koyoradracing.com/policy.asp Determine whether your issues qualify for a claim, and follow the procedures listed here. Thank you.

My reply:
I can see your point in your warranty policy and would agree with it under normal circumstances. However it doesn't say anything good about your product that so many cases of an identical failure happened to a specific group who all purchased the same model of your radiator around the same time.

Here is the link to a group of your radiator failures. All of us have the same application (Koyo R1819) and have had the same results. Please check it out the following 2 pages describing the failures: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36433

And another case: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1465216

Also all of us purchased the unit from the same dealer who is no longer in business.

Like I said, I understand that in a racing situation, I completely understand your policy. But its hard to not be suspicious with so many identical failures at the same time. I believe we all used the "R" radiator because you didn't have another option.

I would love to see you stand behind your product but if not that is fine. If that is the case I will definitely take my money elsewhere and recommend the Subaru community due the same.

Thanks,
Tyler
1970 Honda Ct90
SiCkSTi04
Second Gear

Post by SiCkSTi04 »

What was the outcome? I'm in search for a replacement myself and want to see if it was just a bad batch. Anyone else have updates? Did Koyo come out with a non-racing replacement for the SS?
-04 WRX STi - Java Black Pearl - Cobb Stage 2
-02 Forester Type S premium - Platinum Silver Metallic - Stock
-92 Legacy Sport Sedan - Onyx Black Pearl - Stock
asotwavb
First Gear

Post by asotwavb »

Mine started leaking today in the same spot.

Has anyone gotten through to koyo? Should i suck it up and buy another one?!
1992 Legacy Sport
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

i would buy a new one. koyo was no good to work with. i did patch my leak with jb weld for the time being. trying to find a replacement that isnt koyo or mishimoto.
1970 Honda Ct90