injector help please.

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Bane
First Gear

injector help please.

Post by Bane »

Sorry don't know if this is in the right forum or not, figured it was worth a shot since they mount in the intake manifold.

Did a search... OMG there are 20+ pages of threads with the word injectors! lol

gone through the first 2 pages, and haven't really found what i'm looking for, so while i continue to search i thought i'd start a new thread.

So apparently, i'm starting to get close to lean, and have been told to upsize my injectors, if i want to up the boost anymore.

I'm not sure which ones i have... as far as i can tell they look grey (not pink, as everyone seems to say they are)... yet i have an ej22t, running 16psi on a vf34 without any problems.

A friend gave me a complete manifold from a ver.2 sti.

they are definitely grey tops, how do i go about finding the flow rate from them, without actually getting them tested? is there a part number listed to compare somewhere?

also, i'm curious as to how the hell you remove the injector from the fuel rail itself? I really don't want to reef on the stupid thing and break them. i also don't have silver ends... i have these little greenish grey plastic caps on the ends of mine (with holes in them), otherwise they silver underneath with little pins sticking out the ends where the holes in the caps are.

these ver.2 rails look to have the same connections but the mounting bracket and bolt holes to connect to the manifold are on the wrong side of the pipe; mine are on the outside edge, where as these mount on the inside edge closer to centre of the block. From what i read elsewhere, including an awesome thread from nabisco (2005), with all of you guys arguing about the flavors of the 94 model year and a very confusing discussion on injectors, i need a 92-94 non-turbo fuel rail, right?
James L

'07 Magnum SXT - not stock
-
'93 Legacy Turbo SS - 5spd conv, vf34, intercooled, K&N, dual stage mbc 11/16psi, hks 3" turbo-back w/hi-flow cat, kyb's, ADR 18" rims w/225/35/18zr's, 7" touch screen w/race camera
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

They Are probally JDM sidefeeds flowing at 440cc, stock is 365cc

i think....
FastRust
Bane
First Gear

Post by Bane »

doesn't seem like a big upgrade.
i mean they're free.

But do you think it's worth the trouble of doing, or just find the 92-94 NA fuel rails and pickup a set of larger injectors?
James L

-
'93 Legacy Turbo SS - 5spd conv, vf34, intercooled, K&N, dual stage mbc 11/16psi, hks 3" turbo-back w/hi-flow cat, kyb's, ADR 18" rims w/225/35/18zr's, 7" touch screen w/race camera
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Bane wrote:doesn't seem like a big upgrade.
i mean they're free.

But do you think it's worth the trouble of doing, or just find the 92-94 NA fuel rails and pickup a set of larger injectors?

You don't need the NA rails for larger injectors...you could simply install some yellow STi sidefeeds in the stock rails. You would then be good to 550cc.

But you need to run engine management with them...
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
Bane
First Gear

Post by Bane »

really? i thought that was the only way to go bigger?
I'm all for finding a set of yellow top side feeds.
how do the injectors come out?
i was playing with the new set, and i can't seem to remove them from the rails.

I plan on getting it tuned almost immediately after i install the new injectors.
James L

-
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

555BCTurbo wrote:You don't need the NA rails for larger injectors...you could simply install some yellow STi sidefeeds in the stock rails. You would then be good to 550cc.

But you need to run engine management with them...
Nick,

It was my understanding that to use the yellow STi sidefeeds, you need to have the 92-94 n/a fuel rails, and that they won't directly swap into the 91-94 turbo fuel rails.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Bane
First Gear

Post by Bane »

k, so i think i found a set of yellow sti side feeds...

i'm going to go look at the junkers for a set of NA fuelrails...

can anyone tell me the process for pulling the injectors out of the rails?

looking at the rails + injectors i have, undid the bolt-on caps, and the injectors don't seem to budge.
James L

-
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

They need to snap in/out. Your best bet to get them out is to spray some penetrating oil and twist the injectors. Once they move a little more freely, twist and pull up.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Bane
First Gear

Post by Bane »

Thanks for the quick reply Josh. I'll give that shot when i get home tonight.
James L

-
tahoe.ss
In Neutral

Post by tahoe.ss »

it may be a little late but a heads up with side feeds, use your hands not tools or you can break the top plastic part of the injector very easily my .02
i wish my subaru ran like my rotary!!?
Bane
First Gear

Post by Bane »

lol, better late then never.

however, since i killed the tranny again, i sold the car to someone with a bit more time and money.

now i may see it at a rally in the future!

time to save up for another fun car to run.
James L

-