Help me I'm drowning in gas fumes.....

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

SubaLegacy
In Neutral

Help me I'm drowning in gas fumes.....

Post by SubaLegacy »

I have a 1991 Subaru Legacy and I have a short ram intake that uses the original stock sensor canister. Lately I have been getting about 15 miles to the gallon and my car smells really gassy. I live about 2 hours from the nearest Subaru dealer/garage and nobody else in this town has a way of pulling trouble codes off of Subarus. Should I go back to my stock airbox? Can I find the codes out myself? Do I need a new ECU, or sensor? Is the -6 degree weather possibly affecting it? Please help everyone I need some advice. Also what newer computers would work with the NA 2.2 that's in my car? Does anyone know if a 2.5 would fit in my engine bay? Lot's of questions in one post, I'm sorry but please help :) Thank you.
vypa
First Gear

Post by vypa »

for the trouble codes the legacies are equipped wit OBDI... there should be a green wire harness (green on mine neways) under your dash that is unhooked, hook the harness together and start the car, the check engine light should flash, count the flashes there should be a pause btwn sets (ie 4 blinks a pause then three more is 43) you can find out what the codes mean on http://www.xmission.com/~dac/library/codes.htm .. good luck :)
Brian
http://vypa.homestead.com/index.html
vypa
First Gear

Post by vypa »

the wires are on the drivers side BTW.. just in case you didnt kno.. and also alot of people here seem to like the stock airbox because with the short ram kit you lose a bit of low end torque... browse around in the intake section.. ya just might learn somethin :P as for everything else im sure someone will chime in soon here
Brian
http://vypa.homestead.com/index.html
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You should've checked out my site.....or mentioned what your prob was when you emailed me......I've got pics of the little connectors in question......and pretty much the same info Dave has

If you have a CEL, I'd start there. Write down the codes. Then do an active diag. with the green connectors....see what that yields.....make note of anything that shows up. Then connect both connectors and clear the codes.......

Run the car for a day or so....check codes again....see if anything pops up.......if you get the same code.......that's most likely your prob.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Where is your gas smell? If it's in the engine compartment, I would first check the charcoal canister, which you should be familiar with, since it's right next to your intake. But that wouldn't throw a code, would it?

If it's not that, then I'd say you have a pinhole leak somewhere. Check your fuel lines in the engine compartment, especially around the fuel filter, fuel rails, etc. Plus your lines from the tank to the engine bay, pretty simple...

Abnormal fuel injector output might throw a code, so that's another possibility...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

I had the same problem. I felt like I was on some serious narcotic substance when in the car for a while :P . Turned out to be a rusted fuel line under the rear drivers side seat. The bottom yellow foam part of my rear seat was black and goowey from the gas. The fuel lines travel from under the car into it, via a large rubber grommet (3, I think, of these lines come in at one place). Anyways I guess some salt and moisture got trapped between the fuel line and the grommet for a period of time, and eventually ate away at the line. I just cut away the rotted out part and replaced it with some fuel tubing. Works good and no more headaches :!:

Mark,
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
SubaLegacy
In Neutral

Fumar

Post by SubaLegacy »

Thanks everybody.
I think I'm going to put my stock airbox back on, once the temp gets back above zero :shock: I don't have a heated garage. Is it possible then that my injectors are worn out? I have a bit of carbon build up in my tailpipe and on the rear bumper. What should I look for on my injectors? Is that something I can do myself?
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

1) Your cone filter should work beautifully in those temps... a heat shield would only make it better... The only problem cone filters have is slightly reduced low-end torque and idle problems...

2) Another place to get codes is a Haynes manual. They're good for stuff like that, but it's not a car Bible, so don't follow it word-for-word... But take our advice and find the codes on Legacy777's site, or you can post the code and I can look it up for you...

3) What kind of gas are you using? I have been using 93 octane for years and I have switched over to 89 octane and found performance to be better and gas mileage improved dramatically...

4) Do you know anyone that works in a Toyota dealership in your area? I work in one here (yeah I know :oops: I needed the job and it's close), and I can get my hands on Toyo-Guard Fuel Injector Cleaner... It works excellent, don't use that Prestone garbage for sale in finer stores everywhere...

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

89 octane might be better in super-cold temps. since your intake charge is so much colder, if the ECU doesn't advance timing enough you might have unburned gas. Since higher octanes require higher temps and all.

as far as the gas smell, I've had it only once. just yesterday. I smelled it both times I drove my car around, but I don't today and I never have before. I'll check the charcoal canister. that's the thing in the front with all the vacuum lines right?
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

As for a n/a 2.2 liter.....there's no reason to run premium gas.....as subyluvr stated 89 seems to run the best in mine....better then premium and 87.

Yah the charcoal canister is up front with the vacuum lines goin to it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Yeah, I guess they are vacuum lines, now that I think about it...

It's a fuel-filter lookin' thing sitting in front of the airbox, on the left side of the radiator if you're lookin in the engine...

The EVAP box near the gas tank sends gas fumes from the tank to the canister, then to your purge valve under your intake manifold, then into your TB to be used by combustion, so if you have a leaking hose you're smellin gas fumes...

*Formerly DerFahrer*