STi radiator work on a '92 SS?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

shemoves
Second Gear

STi radiator work on a '92 SS?

Post by shemoves »

it looks like as long as I use hoses from an STi, the stock radiator from an STi would work on a Legacy SS. Anyone ever tried this?

FWIW, there may be some little stuff that would need a place (like the overflow bottle), but that's easy with some zipties :wink:
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

were you able to try this?
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

yea i have been wondering about getting a 2004 wrx radiator and putting it in my car. or maybe a 2004 legacy nonturbo since mine doesnt have a turbo and see if that would work
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Skruyd
Second Gear

Post by Skruyd »

CXRacing Aluminum Radiator 92-00 Impreza WRX STI GC8 MT

Got that one in my car without changing anything. The only problem I had with the install is the brackets that hold it at the top were angled up slightly. Also I don't have a condenser anymore so I don't know how much that will effect that. I'll come back with some pictures.
91 Subaru Legacy SS (Driving) 3"TBE, Vrg FCD, 440cc, HKS Safc, Vf10, ebay FMIC, Jecs
92 Toyota Corolla (fixing then selling)
06 ZZR600
Skruyd
Second Gear

Post by Skruyd »

back with pics. This is with modding nothing. I'll eventually cut some metal to get the brackets to sit right.

91 Subaru Legacy SS (Driving) 3"TBE, Vrg FCD, 440cc, HKS Safc, Vf10, ebay FMIC, Jecs
06 ZZR600
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

Looks like an ok alternative. But I think for the extra 30 I might go for a koyo that fits perfectly.
Skruyd
Second Gear

Post by Skruyd »

biggreen96 wrote:Looks like an ok alternative. But I think for the extra 30 I might go for a koyo that fits perfectly.
Where did you find one for $200?
06 ZZR600
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

well any of these work with a N/A FWD. i really want a new bigger rad
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

SILINC3R wrote:well any of these work with a N/A FWD. i really want a new bigger rad
Why do you want a bigger radiator?
SUBARUEHS Racing
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

looks nicer and holds more fluid for better cooling
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The stock cooling system is plenty robust.

I'm running an n/a radiator with a turbo motor in TX. No problems.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

You don't need a bigger radiator. You want to run your engine as hot as it can handle before things start to warp or you run into problems. The more heat that you remove from the engine, the more power you remove from it. Heat is energy that you're removing from the engine and energy is power.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Skruyd
Second Gear

Post by Skruyd »

kimokalihi wrote:You don't need a bigger radiator. You want to run your engine as hot as it can handle before things start to warp or you run into problems. The more heat that you remove from the engine, the more power you remove from it. Heat is energy that you're removing from the engine and energy is power.
Figured that was only true with rotarys?
06 ZZR600
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

well if less heat drops engine bay temps than that means my air will be cooler meaning i will get better performance (not why i want a bigger rad.) is this not correct. coooler engine keeps fuel and air denser meaning better burning i would think
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
tturnpaw
First Gear

Post by tturnpaw »

kimokalihi wrote:You don't need a bigger radiator. You want to run your engine as hot as it can handle before things start to warp or you run into problems. The more heat that you remove from the engine, the more power you remove from it. Heat is energy that you're removing from the engine and energy is power.
Did you actually read what you just posted before you submitted it?

Actually a larger radiator isnt needed for an na, rather a higher volume water pump would be suggested. Aluminum radiators not only hold more fluid, they have wider fins and dissipate heat more efficiently. Hence why they use aluminum ic piping. If it were me, i could go either way, just run a 190* thermostat and it will always remain warm. REMOVING UNNECESSARY HEAT WILL IMPROVE RELIABILITY AND EFFICIENCY. Typically, you want your oil to maintain temps no less than 180* and no more than 210* and the same for coolant. If you stay within that range, no size of radiator or oil cooler will matter. Its the fluids consistency that matters.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

ok so what is a 190 thermostate, it only goes to 190 degrees like angle or temp? and maybe my oil guage is wrong which it could be but the only time i hit 180 is when im in traffic, it usually sits about 160-170. could that be bad
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
tturnpaw
First Gear

Post by tturnpaw »

It's temp in degrees. It's a valve in your cooling system that opens at a given temp. As far as oil goes it really depends on the grade of oil. But that's a little on the low side for 10w 30. 180 is good 190 is ideal.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

im running mobil 1 right now. what temp are the stock therm. at. and would i just goto Subaru to get one.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
tturnpaw
First Gear

Post by tturnpaw »

Typically they are 210* but who knows if someone changed that at any time. I stick around 190* so the heater always blows really hot air.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The stock tstat will keep the ECT's around 183 deg F with the fans on all the time.

The ECU cycles the fans on and off between 190 & 200 deg F.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

tturnpaw wrote:Typically they are 210* but who knows if someone changed that at any time. I stick around 190* so the heater always blows really hot air.
my heater blows around 150 degrees. i have a temp gauge on my volt meter :-D
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
SSmadness
In Neutral

Post by SSmadness »

Yikes man,you should retract that statement,there is nothing true about anything you said there.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

The OEM thermostat is 172°, which is at the bottom of the motor. Cruising on the highway saw 10-15° higher than that as my temp sensor is mounted in the crossover. The WRC style vent in my hood made my temps much much much more consistent at right about 182-183°, along with dropping my intake inlet temps by about 35°. That is with a front mount though.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m