My LIFE SUCKS: I broke the bung on my radiator!!!

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ericem
Fifth Gear

My LIFE SUCKS: I broke the bung on my radiator!!!

Post by ericem »

This is unbelievable. I just can't believe this happened. I was looking at the hose and I saw a few dropplets. When I remove it, I see this..... How in the world. Anyone have any idea how to fix this temporarily till I get a rad or something like that???!!

Also, this fans are running all the time, but the lower hose is cold. Seems like when the rad cap is on it does this. I don't know if I should pull the insurance and go back to the 93 for good? I have spent a good $1000 and so far, the drive side brake still gives me noise, and this cooling system is really being a hasle, which also seems to be related to REALLY horrible fuel economy.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
Bdub
Second Gear

Post by Bdub »

WELL...I'd say that you probably still had an air bubble in your coolant system somewhere. The pressure probably blew that little bastard right off.

That isn't a tough fix, you could thread in a brass fitting, and seal it up using an epoxy based product, and it should be okay.
Through The Generations...
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

You think like a home depot would have a brass fitting?

Also this time going to try jacking up the front of the car and let it idle with the cap off till warms up hopefully when I keep filling it, it will actually get all the air out.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Ya, didn't work. Bought a rad $250. I might as well anyway, the plastic tanks on the side might be clogged with the stop leak crap. Is that possible anyway??? Just hopefully the tanks will be metal instead of plastic.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
Caboobaroo
In Neutral

Post by Caboobaroo »

ericem wrote:Ya, didn't work. Bought a rad $250. I might as well anyway, the plastic tanks on the side might be clogged with the stop leak crap. Is that possible anyway??? Just hopefully the tanks will be metal instead of plastic.
It is very possible that the stop leak is clogging up the cooling system. My advice would be to get a new radiator, and get complete cooling system flush (either the crappy home kit or professionally).
1987 RX STi - EJ22T/EJ20K/EJ257
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

I changed the title of your thread. In the future please include a comment that is relevant to what the thread is about.
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Ya sorry about that. Was really pissed off at the moment.

When I pulled the old rad I found where the upper hose connects it cracked and fell inside the rad. I think I put the clamp to close to the edge.

Got the new rad in. Works great, I still think there is some air in the the system. Need to burg it better later lol. At the beginning was dirivng for a while fans were cycling on and off like perfect, boost was very good too. After a hour or so, went back to similar symtoms as before high idle, fans running for a long time. I need to jack up the front next time.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

been there, done that, but on the highway when i jumped on it.

paid 190 cdn bnib.

pull off your bottom hose, replace your thermostat with oem and replace rad hose if needed.

flush the whole system.

make sure all your fan related fuses work properly.

replace your coolant temp sensor with an oem one.

squeeze the shit out of your top hose for a good 20 minutes to properly burp it. while adding water too.

it's all fairly cheap and will ensure a clean bill of health for your cooling system.

just a guess, but that plastic where you broke the nipple was way to brittle to thread anything into it wasnt it?
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Not sure didn't try. Only thing bothering me is I bought a non OEM temp sensor or $40!! So not really interested in buying a new coolant sensor. I still belive there might be air in the system. I didn't put the front end in the air. I need to retry burping the system. The upper and lower rad hose is new, thermostat is new, water pump. All OEM parts. The fluid I reused. I put subaru blue coolant which cost me about $50 so no way I am dumping the stuff. I just dumped it in a clean bucket, and I poured it back in via the coolant tank, and used a rag as a filter. The fluid was clean btw. Maybe tiny metal debree ,nothing significant that I can see that would create a issue though. I also pulled the the thermostat to see if it was clean, which it was. Everything was clean, just i am sure that plastic chuck went into the old rad.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

All that crap that was on the t-stat is prolly cogging the radiator and possibly the block. It sounds like the rad has gotten hot or is just old and it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace it. Or at least, give it a good flush, as well as the motor.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

^

he never read the thread, there is two sensors, one that is for your temp gauge for the cluster, and the one you should replace, goes to the cpu. it is the bigger one in the intake runner
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Ya I replaced that one. Like a idiot I bought a non oem sensor for $40. The sensor is made in italy. I am in debate whether to pull the sensor from my N/A 93? Can I do that? It is pretty new like a few months old. I hate touching the 93 though since everything is fine.

Going to see how fuel economy is. If it doesn't get over 450km per 50L going to swap the sensor. It is funny how the fans cycle, they will be running for a good couple mins, I shut off the car, turn it back on right away, fans stay off, no more high idle.

Just out of curiosity lets say I dropped my coolant temp sensor accidentally from 1-2ft? Could that have damaged the sensor? Are they that delicate?
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

I don't think dropping it from 1-2 feet would damage it that severely, but there are always rare cases where crap like that happens. IMO it should be ok.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

Folks should buy the $150 JDM WRX ALL Aluminum Radiators from CX Racing.

They will drop right into a Legacy Turbo + they are not plastic...
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

now you tell us :roll: