White smoke clouds looks like engine issues

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Cobalt
In Neutral

White smoke clouds looks like engine issues

Post by Cobalt »

Coming back here feels like Cheers everyone's so nice no matter how long you're gone. Anways I digress...
About a month ago I was involved in an accident that did some front end damage. Nothing too bad cosmeticaly. But now I am concerned that the force of the impact has done something somewhere.
About every 8 cold starts there is a huge cloud of white smoke from my exhaust. It doesn't smell sweet, like oil, or gas. Just exhaust. I checked all of my fluids and have found some coolant is gone, not much. But enough to notice. No oil leaks either. The engine has about 38,000 miles (after rebuild). Never raced and never redlined. A new radiator after the accident. It was in the body shop for about a week, then out then back for another week (I was not completely satisfied). Oh, and some water got on my belts after a trip to the car wash. The hood has sealing issues.
So here are my questions below...

-Could the force of the accident done anything (timing perhaps)?
-With the engine this new and lightly used could my head gaskets have blown already?
-Could there be extra oil or fuel in the cylinders after I shut the engine down?
-Could water on the belts have done anything?

I'm still unsure about everything. My 91 Subaru Legacy will be in the shop to have all belts; including timing looked at, and tested for burning oil, colant or running too rich or lean. I'll be back with what the tech's say. But for now let's speculate...
Cobalt
In Neutral

Post by Cobalt »

Oh and the damage from the accident front bumper heavily scratched, hood slightly bent. And a cracked radiator. The radiator and the front bumper cover have been replaced. The rest were just rebended. And refitted. All fixed for free. I was not at fault. A silver Mitsubishi Eclipse turned left in front of me. I had the right of way. We just didn't see each other in enough time.
thehookeup
Third Gear

Post by thehookeup »

if its happening every 8 starts, i wouldnt worry about it too much. Check your coolant and oil, make sure its all good. Its not overheating is it? i have seen condensation do this before. If it starts to happen more and more often then i would get suspicious.
-93 2.2T (RIP), 93 N/A best car on earth.
-00 legGT, 18" PIAA sport mesh wheels, front/rear Rallitek sways, lowered whitelines, coming soon: 2.5L sti internals, 20g heads P&P, twin charged. motor is almost ready to go in.
Andrew
Cobalt
In Neutral

Post by Cobalt »

I thought of condensation too. If it matters I live in Reno, Nevada. Temps here have gone from the high being in the 70's to highs back in the mid 50's. The lows swing around like this too. I do have an aftermarket muffler and a big exhaust tip. I don't know the brand. The previous owner a friend back in high school had it put on when he raced it. And soon after I got the car. If that matters at all too. And it's not over heating at all. The temp gauge is steady.
One more note the body shop did move my car around a bit. I'm sure without warming it up. Could doing that cause anything like what I have?
thehookeup
Third Gear

Post by thehookeup »

well if they were a good body shop, they would know better than to move a car with out all engine components in good condition. But who knows i have seen some messed up stuff. its not good to run the care without coolant in the car, because the pump itself needs water too cool the pump internally and obviously to keep the engine at the correct temp. i wouldnt worry too much yet.
-93 2.2T (RIP), 93 N/A best car on earth.
-00 legGT, 18" PIAA sport mesh wheels, front/rear Rallitek sways, lowered whitelines, coming soon: 2.5L sti internals, 20g heads P&P, twin charged. motor is almost ready to go in.
Andrew
Cobalt
In Neutral

Post by Cobalt »

Well I'm really late on this reply but here's the news:

I have a head gasket leak, I'm burning coolant, and cylinder #4 is trkying to throw it's rod. The head gasket leak might explain the deeper exhaust tone. I'm just goig to drive it til' it drops. I don't feel good about not doing anything until it happens. But I'll be working on my Legacy even when I get a second car.
The plan is a new EJ20 or EJ25 with transmission, ECU, drivetrain, new CV axles, brakes, suspension and wheels to go with it. It'll be a long road, not a fun one, but it should be worth it.