muddy looking engine coolant

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

muddy looking engine coolant

Post by SILINC3R »

was working on the car the past 2 days, nothing in relation to the engine. i was rewiring my lights and taking wires out that i didnt need anymore. i decided i would check the coolant to see if it needed filling. when i started to loosen it it made a hissing sound. i guess that is because it was pressurized so that would be a good thing. but then when i tilted the cap brown mud oil lokking stuff driped off. what could this be and what do i need to do. i am suppossed to be down signing my name on the dotted line for Uncle Sam tomorrow but i can trisk not getting there as well as killing my car.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
thehookeup
Third Gear

Post by thehookeup »

check my diagnosis thread
-93 2.2T (RIP), 93 N/A best car on earth.
-00 legGT, 18" PIAA sport mesh wheels, front/rear Rallitek sways, lowered whitelines, coming soon: 2.5L sti internals, 20g heads P&P, twin charged. motor is almost ready to go in.
Andrew
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

i was wondering if it is the same thing but i dont have a turbo
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

sorry the pictures are so big. but on some of the exhaust it looks like it is coming out from around the exhaust leading me to belive it may in fact be from the engine. i replaced the valve covers a couple weeks ago and you can notice that they are still clean
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
thehookeup
Third Gear

Post by thehookeup »

the last picture is of your overflow tank right?

i think you really need to do a coolant flush. it will eliminate a lot of questions. It really does look like your head gasket is leaking externally. from what i can tell it looks like the head gasket is the graphite composite type gasket. which i have never been a fan of. they end up not holding for long. if and when you replace the Head gaskets try to find the metal shim type. do a compression test and see what you come up with.
-00 legGT, 18" PIAA sport mesh wheels, front/rear Rallitek sways, lowered whitelines, coming soon: 2.5L sti internals, 20g heads P&P, twin charged. motor is almost ready to go in.
Andrew
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

yes that is correct. well it held up for 244XXX miles. also i cant do a compression test, dont have the tools
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Use macro mode with your camera when taking close up pics of things like that.

Flush that thing.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

will have to use that setting next time thanks.

so in other news, the car is in the shop. 1300 dollars gets me all new gaskets (Felpro) cam seals, timing belt, head gasket, intake manifold gasket, exhaust gasket. the heads well be sent out to be inspected, mating surface will be smoothed and valves will be grinded for fittment. new sterring rack that i have will be put in as well. i think that is.
let me know what you think and if there is anything else that i need to do
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Do the rear main seal, reseal the oil pan, um, cam support o ring in the back. I think you should check out the oil pump backing place in the back of the motor to. I think it needs to be removed and resealed, or just need to make sure it is tight? Can't remember.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

rear main seal you have to take the engine out correct? not sure if he is going to take it out. he will probalby cause it will make it easier for him.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Not sure if doing the headgasket in the car is easy.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
thehookeup
Third Gear

Post by thehookeup »

ericem wrote:Do the rear main seal, reseal the oil pan, um, cam support o ring in the back. I think you should check out the oil pump backing place in the back of the motor to. I think it needs to be removed and resealed, or just need to make sure it is tight? Can't remember.
you got it.

you can do the head gaskets in the car. its a real pain in the ass. im sure he is going to pull it out. What kind of place did you take your car? dealership? subaru specializing shop? general auto repair?
Andrew
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

kind of a general auto repair shop. it is right next to my house. he does all kind of cars. he works on old cars as well
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

maybe it is time for a turbo swap man :)
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

yea i wish but then i would need the AWD as well. im going to keep this as is and get a SS probably
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

from my experience you are better off getting a ss and swaping whatever from your car. Ss is way more fun to drive. Its definitely a different feel.

For now flush your system really good i guess and add subaru coolant conditioner see what happens.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

well the car is in the shop right now. heads are off and off to the machine shop were they well be cleaned and check for cracks as well as a valve job and shaved. then new gaskets and new cam seals and new belt. having my new rack put in as well. car should be hell of a lot better when i get it back
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP