Odd fuel issue after compression test, won't start. WTH?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

John Drivesabox
Second Gear

Odd fuel issue after compression test, won't start. WTH?

Post by John Drivesabox »

Car: '98 LGT 2.5, T04E turbo w/ sti injectors, EManage Ultimate

Problem: turns over but wont start. This is the first time Ive EVER had this problem.

First thing I did yesterday was remove an old Vortech FMU which I no olnger need since I've been running EMU fr about a month. I simply removed the lines and placed all the vacuum lines back closed to the boost gauge and sealed all the fuel and vacuum lines back together.

Next, I took off my intake and washer bottle to do a compression test, after I was done I put everything back together. Compression test went fine, took the car for a test drive and everything was peachy.

THEN, I took off my intercooler (06 WRX TMIC) and intake to recheck and reseal the entire intake system, I knew I had some boost leaks and think I solved all the issues with those, a few loose spots later and I think I'm good to go. Then I put everything back together and go to fire up the car. Turns over, no joy. What could have possibly happened between taking off the intake and intercooler. Im pretty sure this is a fuel issue, I clamped the fuel line to see if it was flooding and the car fires for a brief moment. Why is the car flooding now?

The batteries been disconnected all night and I could really use some ideas.
[quote="George McFly"] Hey you, get your damn hands off her!
[/quote]

Navy Chief, what's your specialty?
John Drivesabox
Second Gear

Oh, and the reason I also think its flooding is when I take off the intercooler and smell the TB it smells a lot like fuel, that and the clamping thing.
[/quote]

Skruyd
Second Gear

Post by Skruyd »

This is like one of those problems that anything could of came loose when you put the parts back on. By any chance did the IAC hose came off or any vacuum hoses popped off? How about all the electrical plugs?
91 Subaru Legacy SS (Driving) 3"TBE, Vrg FCD, 440cc, HKS Safc, Vf10, ebay FMIC, Jecs
92 Toyota Corolla (fixing then selling)
06 ZZR600
John Drivesabox
Second Gear

It's flooding, if I unplug the FP it will fire for about 1-2 seconds then die (obviously, no fuel). Then connect pump, fire for a second, die (flooded), I could do that all day.

Removed FPR (factory one, the vortech seems to make no difference whether its hooked up or not. I reinstalled it for good measure.

Is it possibly the vacuum lines going to the FPR? is that a BCS feeding into it? Is there just the one OEM FPR (pass. side?)
[/quote]

John Drivesabox
Second Gear

Where is the IAC hose? I know, 90% of the time when something gets screwed up it's because of something stupid during assembly/disassembly. Ill go back to my manual and check that. Would that cause this?
[/quote]

John Drivesabox
Second Gear

IAC valve checks out, FPR is good too. Is there anything else in the region of the TMIC or intake that could have caused this?
[/quote]

Skruyd
Second Gear

Post by Skruyd »

Any chance you got the fuel lines crossed? Too bad you didn't just tune it through the stock computer. At least it may have thrown a code or you could see what it sees
91 Subaru Legacy SS (Driving) 3"TBE, Vrg FCD, 440cc, HKS Safc, Vf10, ebay FMIC, Jecs
92 Toyota Corolla (fixing then selling)
06 ZZR600
John Drivesabox
Second Gear

I don't think so, like I said I drove the car right after the FMU was removed and it ran fine for 2-3 miles. The problem didnt start until I removed the IC.

Another weird thing. After it wouldn't start the first time, I removed the IC and the car started fine, then I threw the ic back on and it was still running, only when I connected the last vacuum line to the BOV did the car die again, hasnt stayed running since. Anyone think they know what might be happening?
[/quote]

John Drivesabox
Second Gear

Okay, weird. keep in mind I've had this car for almost 2 years and this is the first time Ive really torn into it.

I followed the coil harness back trying to find the igniter, and no igniter. But I DID find a connector that seemed loose, a 6 pin (3x2) connector that may have very well been pulled loose while I was screwing around down there. I ohm'd the 6 pin connector to the coil connector and apparently the 2 aren't tied together. The 2 main ignition signals come through a 16 pin connector right next to the 6 pin connector in my car.

But the stupid thing is, I AM getting spark, what is this 6 pin connector for and would it throw off , say, the cam or crank angle signals?

I'll get a pic of said connector, hopefully tonight.

- J
[/quote]

John Drivesabox
Second Gear

God Damn! Im oo drunk o b around a car, bu no a wiring schmaic, an d looks lik h ky dosn work on my kyboard!

Lookd up h schmaics and could b r58, b83 or b20. b20 conncs dircly o cam and crank angl, b has i. Bich was loos, Ill crank hr in h morning. Hll Yah!

Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
[/quote]

thehookeup
Third Gear

Post by thehookeup »

John Drivesabox wrote:God Damn! Im oo drunk o b around a car, bu no a wiring schmaic, an d looks lik h ky dosn work on my kyboard!

Lookd up h schmaics and could b r58, b83 or b20. b20 conncs dircly o cam and crank angl, b has i. Bich was loos, Ill crank hr in h morning. Hll Yah!

Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.

Ahahahahaha
This is a classic post! i love it
----------------------------------------
lets us know with that pic of the connector, and see if we cant figure it out
-93 2.2T (RIP), 93 N/A best car on earth.
-00 legGT, 18" PIAA sport mesh wheels, front/rear Rallitek sways, lowered whitelines, coming soon: 2.5L sti internals, 20g heads P&P, twin charged. motor is almost ready to go in.
Andrew
John Drivesabox
Second Gear

Well, I thought I had it. I got in the car this morning to try out my latest fix and the fuel pump and fan were constantly running.

After some SEVERE expressions of my displeasure, I found out that my wiring harness has some issues, I'm fairly certain I'll have to tear into it and find out why theres all these intermittent problems. I hate god damned wiring harnesses.

Hey, at least it's not an old 300zx, those harnesses are such big pieces of shit there are entire companies based solely on building replacements.
[/quote]

John Drivesabox
Second Gear

Got it! Theres gremlins in my wiring harness, got it all put back together and it's better than before.

I'm quite certain all the boost leaks are gone, builds somewhat consistently but I still can't get on it until it gets a better tune. Anyone with a good working knowledge of EManage Ultimate feel like swinging by the Milwaukee area for some beer and brats?
[/quote]