No start, stranded out of state!

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ej22tVermont
First Gear

No start, stranded out of state!

Post by ej22tVermont »

Car ran from VT to CT, and then once we crossed CT line began hiccupping. Thought it was a batch of bad gas, tried dry gas, no luck. New knock sensor, new plugs and wires, new air filter, recently cleaned MAF. There IS fuel pressure, and spark, and air. I am now stranded 300 miles from home and need to get back, what should i look at to get back on the road? Luckily i have most of my tools with me. By the way, it's a 1994 legacy turbo sedan, auto tranny. Only engine codes are neutral switch and no speedo sensor. HELP HELP HELP ASAP!!! :?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You don't have speed sensor? No speedo?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Does it do it all the time or just during acceleration, light throttle, under boost, etc.?
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

Do the hiccups feel like, repeated small jabs and/or quick lifts on the gas? check the tps 'nections. luckly I was able to watch mine slowly die like this with my tps gauge. typical cruise tps reading of ~15% open would quickly jump around. 2% to 35% and back to ~15% every few seconds.
ej22tVermont
First Gear

Post by ej22tVermont »

That is right, no speedo! I use my handheld GPS for speed reference. The problem happened intermittently, until it wouldn't start. The hiccups are as Biggreen describes, although they becme worse. approx 20 miles before it finally quit it jumped quickly from zero rpms, all the way to 3500, and back and forth again. I have been wondering about the TPS seeing as how sometimes when I hammered on it and then came to a stop the rpms stayed at 1500 for a while, causing the auto tranny to try to pull at stops!!!!! the last bit of driving I did I sprayed electrical cleaner ion the coil and it temporarily improved, although when It died the coil proved to have strong spark. I am so screwed right now as I am 300 miles from home, running out of money, and time. I have to get home to work and pick up my dog. PLEASE HELP, there has to be something i am overlooking!!!!
ej22tVermont
First Gear

Post by ej22tVermont »

It started this moisture in there , and am now leaving it running to see if it will stay on. I have to beleive the fuelpump/sending unit is partially failing, or some gas station on my travels had water in their gas. I am very nervous to try to make it home....Any thoughts???
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You need to fix the speedo sensor. The ECU uses the speed sensor and does some weird things when it doesn't have speed sensor.

The base of the speedo cable typically fails.
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... lebase.jpg
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
ej22tVermont
First Gear

Post by ej22tVermont »

Speed sensor is a Non-issue, as I have driven it without for quite some time now. I however did find a small coolant leak on the drivers side on the ground. And coolant on the passenger side on top of the Engine block. Coolant temp sensor maybe?? The car starts every couple of hours for about 30 seconds! I am towing it home tomorrow, but could really use any input on other possibilities. By the way I did put a brand new coolant filler tank in 2 weeks ago. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated, thanks again to all of those who have responded and can offer further help.................Maybe its time to pull my 300hp corrado out of storage while I fight with my Subaru!! not really though its still snowing in VT!!
Subafreak13
In Neutral

Post by Subafreak13 »

well it would seem really hard for a coolant temp sensor to acctually start leeking.  Its pretty much a solid peice of metal sealed by a copper washer. given how many other places coolant can leak from on these motors it may be missleading.My 90 wagon had no speed sensor, junk maf, bad coolant temp sensor, and bad purge selonoid and still got me home from up state N.Y.  It ran really bad, but it did run.
If it's not broken your not driving it hard enough
98legacy22stick
In Neutral

Post by 98legacy22stick »

I would take a look at the crank and cam sensors. I once had an oldsmobile that did exatcly as you are describing (run for 30 seconds every couple of hours and then shut off) Not sure how to test them though.
ej22tVermont
First Gear

Post by ej22tVermont »

I am home in Vermont now!!! I had to tow the damn thing back! The cam sensor was replaced just before I got it on the road for the first time. So far I have found to bad coolant lines, a severely broken pre turbo intake tube (the 90 degree) and three, yes THREE broken vacuum lines. And an intermittent Maf that won't work correctly. I am on my way to meet somebody to pick up replacement parts, hopefully this fixes the problems, since this is not my fun car, it is my daily driver. My fun car is much more fun, except that it is in storage till june.
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

98legacy22stick wrote:I would take a look at the crank and cam sensors. I once had an oldsmobile that did exatcly as you are describing (run for 30 seconds every couple of hours and then shut off) Not sure how to test them though.
+1

No CELs?
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
ej22tVermont
First Gear

Post by ej22tVermont »

Aux purge valve!!! that was the problem! It was cracked and so was the vac line going into the manifold. And the coolant was spewing from the 3 inch bent coolant line under the TB. Needless to say the car runs fine now! Thanks to all those who helped.