97 EJ20G Will this work in my 91 SS?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Matt Monson wrote:
kimokalihi wrote:So I'll lose my LSD rear diff using this tranny. Bummer.

Is there a matching LSD for this tranny on another car?
Sure, pretty much any early WRX (93-96) as well as 2000-2001 2.5RS. And that's just a start. There were many cars with 4.11 LSD's. Expect to pay $150-250 for the diff plus maybe another $100 for the axles. Your axles won't work with it if it's a USDM 4.11. If it's an older JDM 4.11 you can use your axles. It all depends on the year of the LSD you acquire.
Glad I only replaced the front axles then. Wait, will I need to use the front axles that come with this engine/trans or will my 91SS axles work?

They've never even been used. I bought them from the guy that CCR engine rebuilders recommends, rebuilt.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

Those JDM trannys have axles stubs sticking out up front so if your front axles are female you should be OK.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

BXSS wrote:Funny I had one of these swaps & the TMIC looked smaller than a 02-05 WRX.
The TMIC looks like a EJ20R TMIC with a single turbo Y pipe.

A 02-05 WRX Y fits on both of the above TMICs (97-98 EJ20R, EJ20K/Gs)
Sorry. It's not bigger, but it does flow better. This of course assumes that you have the proper underhood ducting in place. If there's no ducting it's going to be far less than optimal.

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_1619/article.html
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

kimokalihi wrote:
Glad I only replaced the front axles then. Wait, will I need to use the front axles that come with this engine/trans or will my 91SS axles work?

They've never even been used. I bought them from the guy that CCR engine rebuilders recommends, rebuilt.
Like BXSS said, you can use your axles. Marshall's axles are the best. You'll be very happy with them.

Also measure the diameter of the ones that come with the engine. Some of them are larger and stronger. There's a market for resale on the bigger ones if they are in good condition. I usually get $50-60 each for them.
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
Suby Hai!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

So which ratio is better? Which accelerates quicker? Should I use the impreza transmission with 103,000 miles and try to find a rear LSD diff or use the one in my car that I'm assuming has about 175,00 miles on it like the car does and keep my rear VLSD?
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

The JDM transmission with the shorter FD ratio will offer quicker acceleration. Ask the folks at Jhot if they've got one. They often do and not everything they have in stock makes it to the Ebay store. Call the Texas location and ask to talk to Zach. Tell him I sent you.
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
Suby Hai!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Thanks I'll call them tomorrow, they were closed by the time I saw your post.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I got my check from the 401K loan today. So I'm ready to buy an engine now.

The engine is no longer listed on ebay from Jhot imports. They have relisted another engine though.

Will this one work?

Engine Name EJ205
Transmission 5 speed
Mileage 73,943 Miles (Approximate)

Car Stock # 17271 Maker Subaru
Model Impreza Chassis GF8
Manufacture Year 1998 Engine EJ20
Odometer 119000 km Transmission Manual

ebay link

Are there any importers in washington or oregon that import subaru motors? It's $451 for shipping. I'm thinking a local place will probably charge more for the engine though.
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Isn't an EJ205 a Phase II (and thus incompatible)?

BTW, I would do a little more shopping...I got my EJ20H, with a 5-speed trans, for under $1k including shipping all the way from the East Coast to Colorado, and yes it was listed on Ebay.

Don't worry about where the importer's located, what matters is how much it costs to get it to your door.
http://www.slodriveracing.com
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-'93 L Wagon - Pink Roll Cage - "Dirty Leg"
-And more!
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Yeah, I don't know about that engine. EJ205's are from the USDM WRX, not from anything JDM.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

SLODRIVE wrote:Isn't an EJ205 a Phase II (and thus incompatible)?

BTW, I would do a little more shopping...I got my EJ20H, with a 5-speed trans, for under $1k including shipping all the way from the East Coast to Colorado, and yes it was listed on Ebay.

Don't worry about where the importer's located, what matters is how much it costs to get it to your door.
That's what I was thinking. You're talking about the twin turbo motor? Those are cheaper I believe because they're not in demand because they're more work to make them compatible with your car. They're on ebay for about $750 all the time plus shipping.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I have an EJ22T complete motor that needs to be rebuilt. I have a pretty much complete EJ20H motor. And I have about $2,000 to work with. I've also got a set of EJ20G DOHC heads and a very low perfect condition TD04 with 06 TMIC that could go on the EJ22T motor.

Should I buy a complete EJ20G/K or rebuild the EJ22T or the EJ20H?

EJ20G would be easier and quicker I think than tearing down the EJ22T and rebuilding it. But the EJ22T would have more displacement and it's complete.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

How much time do you have? Are you capable of fabricating what is needed to install the EJ20H?

If you can do such things the $2000 ca go into improvements.

But, if you need the car ASAP or don't feel comfortable modifying the EJ20H, then you should look for an EJ20G/K. Too bad you missed the last one, it appeared to be a great setup.

The 205 will be difficult to make work.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

It really sounds like you have more than enough parts for a cool build already!

To be honest, the only fabrication on the EJ20H I had to do was to make a spacer for the TB and a coil bracket...the rest was for fun, and to make things look kinda OEM. An EJ20G or EJ25D intake manifold would have made the swap really easy, as neither of the above items would be necessary. Unless, of course, you really want the under-manifold turbo inlet.

JMHO :-)
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-And more!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I'm not sure exactly how much time I have before my parents sell their land but I'm assuming it won't be this year. But you never know, even if they do decide to sell it they may have a hard time finding a buyer.

I'd prefer to have it going for winter and snowboarding.

What modifications are needed for the EJ20H motor? I know it needs headwork done because of the exhaust valve leak. I believe both heads also have oil and coolant lines for the second turbo and I've already plugged one of them and was trying to figure out how to get that pipe out of the back of the head and plug that hole.

I could probably do the modifications myself. I'm not afraid of DIY at all.
To be honest, the only fabrication on the EJ20H I had to do was to make a spacer for the TB and a coil bracket...the rest was for fun, and to make things look kinda OEM. An EJ20G or EJ25D intake manifold would have made the swap really easy, as neither of the above items would be necessary. Unless, of course, you really want the under-manifold turbo inlet.
What was the spacer for? I did notice there is a lack of space for clearance of the BPV on the 06 TMIC I have. But I could weld up a plate and pipe to clear it.
But, if you need the car ASAP or don't feel comfortable modifying the EJ20H, then you should look for an EJ20G/K. Too bad you missed the last one, it appeared to be a great setup.
I didn't really miss it. It didn't sell as far as I know. It just ended but I emailed them and they said it would be relisted soon if it doesn't sell. They just haven't put it back up yet.
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

kimokalihi wrote:What was the spacer for? I did notice there is a lack of space for clearance of the BPV on the 06 TMIC I have. But I could weld up a plate and pipe to clear it.
I made a spacer because the EJ22 TB needed to be flipped 180 degrees to clear the EJ20H IAC, and to give clearance for the TPS and linkage without cutting up the throttle body. The spacer also covers up a vacuum passage that gets uncovered when it gets flipped over. The coil bracket I made for obvious reasons.

I'm pretty sure that an EJ25D or EJ20G intake manifold would have eliminated the need for the above fabrication, plus I could have just used the old 90 degree inlet stuff...I simply chose not to, and it's not like I did anything too difficult anyway. Either way you go, making your own BPV adapter will probably be necessary.
-And more!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Oh I know I'll have to make the BPV pipe because I test fitted the EJ20G and the EJ20H manifold with that 06 TMIC and neither one had room to put the WRX BPV on.

I pm'd jake at frantic 4 to see how much it would be to rebuild the EJ22T with EJ20G heads and he never got back to me and it's been a while.

Does he still come on here? Anybody know another machine shop that will do a good job in western washington?
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

asc_up wrote:Yeah, I don't know about that engine. EJ205's are from the USDM WRX, not from anything JDM.
Bzzzzt. False. The Ej205 was released in the fall of 1998 as a 1999 model for the auto transmission cars and wagons. It was rated at 250ps in Japan or 218chp for the export market like the UK and Australia. USDM was the last to get the Ej205.

Kimo,
Just call Zach. They have engines that aren't listed. Get him on the phone and talk to him. I will vouch for the vendor. They are one of the best JDM importers in the country. I have purchased more than a dozen engine kits from their company in the last 3 years. Shipping be damned. They have the cleanest most reliable swaps I have ever seen.
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
Suby Hai!
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

If your still looking to buy a complete package look into this:

Ebay linky to a EJ20G/K

This is another of those EJ20Gs that work like an EJ20K. Being from a Forester, it most likely has a small turbo, but that can be dealt with. It also has a manual trans, even though the listing says an auto.

Either way, a heads up. I'll vouch for the seller, I've never had problems. I believe RedDevil (Doug Vincent) has bought an engine from him also.

If I wasn't out there with my suspension and engine build, I'd buy it for the EJ20K intake setup and the (4.44?) trans.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Anything special I would have to do with the forester engine to make it work in my car?
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

That motor is effectively the same one as the one you started the thread asking about, an EJ20K. So...everything previously discussed applies. Pros and Cons.

Just noticed...your original motor is relisted also.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Ok, thanks. I emailed them about shipping price.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Looks like they relisted the original engine. For about $100 less too.

ebay linky

Now which one do I get? I emailed the other guys asking them if it was an auto or manual and if those are actual pictures of the engine because it shows a manual tranny but says auto.[/url]
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I emailed Jhot and they don't have any rear diffs for that EJ20G/K tranny.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

You can use your trans while you locate a diff, or you can sell the trans that come with the swap.

Which one are you leaning towards?