Didn't Pass Emissions

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Who thinks that this may have caused the problem? :smt042

-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Maybe ;)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
mexicanzero
Second Gear

Post by mexicanzero »

you shoulda seen mine i had splits on all four... my car wasnt running very well...

so did you change them already? hows it running?

-Alex
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

1992 Subaru Legacy SS 06 WRX TMIC TD-04 MSD coil 3" turboback H&R coils GR2 shocks fsb 20mm rsb 22mm stage 2 chip

2003 silver wrx wagon 5 spd just bought!! stock for now...
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

It still idles like shit, but I'm pretty sure that's because I reset the ECU. The AFR at cruise is even ultra lean and the timing has been retarded. It'll just take some learning, I've only put about 30 miles on it.
-Aaron

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

On a hunch, how many of you have pulled/supported the engine via the intake manifold?

I'll be testing my intake gaskets for leaks, soon as I fix the gaping hole in my tmic silicone.... although, my idles are rock stable.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
mexicanzero
Second Gear

Post by mexicanzero »

still idles like shit eh? did you clean both surfaces up reeal good? did you get the gaskets in place properly? as easy as it sounds i had trouble with that .... you torque the bolts down nicely? you sure all hoses are on and not torn and all clamps are tight etc etc...

i had my battery disconnected but i never actually reset my ecu. after i did the gaskets on first startup it wasnt lean anymore.

go over the spots that had issues with your starter fluid again and see if all is good. it is possible that the mani is cracked or maybe warped and not sealing well or something...

do the issues go away after the car is warmed up for a bit?
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

1992 Subaru Legacy SS 06 WRX TMIC TD-04 MSD coil 3" turboback H&R coils GR2 shocks fsb 20mm rsb 22mm stage 2 chip

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I picked up the engine by the manifold and not had an issue, but I only walked it a few feet and onto a stair.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
mexicanzero
Second Gear

Post by mexicanzero »

yeah i've never removed the engine yet so i'd say no to that but just in case i wouldnt i'm sure the manifold isnt meant to take that weight...

-Alex
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I don't recommend it, but it was the only convenient way to pick it up by hand. It could cause problems, but it's not a guarantee.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
mexicanzero
Second Gear

Post by mexicanzero »

pick it up by hand!? jeeze ur a beast! but yeah i know all about cutting corners to do things easier and usually it all ends up a-ok
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

I didn't pull mine by the intake manifold.

Mexicanzero - I've gone over EVERYTHING now and nothing seems to be leaking, which I suppose is a good sign. The car even runs lean with the timing pulled right now just because it's still learning. Mike said that the target idle AFR is set to whatever the learned cruise AFR is; so until the car actually learns how to operate, the idle will be lean.....I hope....
-Aaron

mexicanzero
Second Gear

Post by mexicanzero »

i wasnt saying there was an issue it just sounded like maybe there was still a little leak somewhere.
my car never went into safe mode but either way its running better now than right after doing the gaskets so the almost 400km i've put on it has made it re learn stuff and run even better. give it roughly 500k and hopefully that'll do it.

i've got my fingers crossed!'

-Alex
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

casanovaw
In Neutral

Post by casanovaw »

I chased an idle problem for the last few month. it was running rich at idle and causing it to stall. ended up being the MAF. No check eninge light and the maf voltage looked correct.
92 SS
03 ZX6R