Anyone modded the fuel delivery system?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

stef1825
First Gear

Anyone modded the fuel delivery system?

Post by stef1825 »

Anyone here has upgraded to a parallel fuel system?
How did you guys do it?
Any pictures or description of how you did it?
thx!
Lunatech
Second Gear

Post by Lunatech »

Never done it, but here's something on scoobymods.

http://www.scoobymods.com/parallel_fuel ... allel+fuel
Last edited by Lunatech on Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert,

Rio Red 1990 L sedan 5MT at least 302000 mi. and Spruce Pearl 1996 Wagon 4EAT 245000 mi.

georryan wrote:
Don't knock him for thinking outside of the box. At least he has been creative.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Look at my thread in Build Journals.

It's not hard to do, and there is more than one way to do it. Why do you need a parallel fuel system? Need more details.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

It's really not worth it unless you're shooting for some crazy power.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

I did it on reddevil.....

But now on dailydevil, I am running stock fuel lines AND am using 5 (yes 5) 800cc injectors with dual fuel pumps and still have room to go....
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
stef1825
First Gear

Post by stef1825 »

93forestpearl wrote:Why do you need a parallel fuel system? Need more details.
Well, I taught I had a leak on my fuel line; but turns out it's just a loose bolt on the end of my fuel rail...

But, I am currently starting a build of another block I have; and will make a new fuel system; and since I'm there; I will make it parallel....

Thx for the info :)
Anyone else have done this? Anything I need to know?
Legacy777 wrote:It's really not worth it unless you're shooting for some crazy power.
I am aiming in the range of 250-300 whp ....
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

stef1825 wrote:
Legacy777 wrote:It's really not worth it unless you're shooting for some crazy power.
I am aiming in the range of 250-300 whp ....

You'll be fine with the stock setup.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Re: Anyone modded the fuel delivery system?

Post by free5ty1e »

<Thread revival>

So, I kinda want to convert to a parallel fuel rail setup just on general principle; leaving cylinder #3 last in line for fuel and knowing that my #3 exhaust valve is burnt to a crisp just does not fill me with confidence. It just seems like it's a more reliable way to configure the fuel injectors' supply.

I've already upgraded to the Walbro 255lph WRX pump, and I am going to get 550cc yellow-top side-feed STi injectors for my RobTune550 ECU I have sitting here waiting for them... I just consider the inline fuel injection supply a bad design choice (based on cylinder #3's issues I've seen so far, and this is from the completely stock configuration -- happened well before I got the car and started modifying it!)

Pros / Cons? The only downside to this I can think of is that I don't retain the stock setup, confusing anyone else down the line who attempts to troubleshoot fueling issues. (including myself, I'm forgetful) -- that, and the fact that it will cost me some parts & time to set up (couple fuel injection-rated tees and lines appears to be all that are required).

Anyone feel up to dissuading me from this course of action, and why? Or encouraging it?

</Thread revival>
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I looked at doing it, and my main reason for not doing it was that it's a huge pain in the ass to do it so it functions and looks right. There just isn't much room around the intake manifold.

Dan, 93forestpearl mounted his FPR behind the throttle body, but he was running a FMIC, so had the room. With a TMIC, it's very tight.

How much power do you intend to make/run?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Ah! No problems there, I already went FMIC and never intend to look back. (I even want to find a stock Legacy hood scoop to at least get the hood vent out of; I don't like the idea of my scoop gathering so much water here in rainy Oregon. I'm sure it'll rust something important soon enough if I let it go.)

I guess my first power goal is somewhere around 250-300hp, with the RobTune 550 and VF36 twin-scroll ball-bearing turbo setup I have here mocking me in my garage. I figure at this point, I'll have to baby the throttle on launches until I can afford to get a 6MT in there to handle more power, to avoid breaking my 5MT. Then, I want to see how much power I can run reliably in a streetable setup. I don't really ever want to build a race-purpose-only car, half the fun is being able to drive the car on normal commutes and errands to make them all more enjoyable IMO.

I figure I'll more or less follow the advice of the legendary thread here and keep the stock 2.2 heads, just get 'em ported / polished, 3way valve job (probably replace #3 as it is indeed crispy) and replace valve springs with titanium springs or something comparable to prevent valve float at higher RPMs. I'll also keep the stock internals on this one ('94 SS) based on this thread.

(The '91 is a different story; since it needs the block cracked open anyway for at least rings, I'm thinking I might want to get some wiseco pistons and eagle rods in there. Still trying to learn about forged internals and trying to decide exactly how to handle this one... don't know if it'd be worth boring and/or stroking while I'm in there but so far I'm leaning towards "no" on those. Our 2.2 stock crank is forged, correct?)

Is it just as simple as getting some fuel injection-rated hose and two tees, and then splitting the input fuel lines to one side of the rails and then merging the outputs of the two rails into the stock FPR? I mean, if I can find good places to run and secure said lines? Or is there anything else I need to be aware of / any caveats or downsides to this?

I have some serious gaps in my automotive knowledge; I studied turbos quite disproportionately to how the rest of the car works and am still quite amateur and unsure of myself on most mechanical and other items that most people just seem to have as common knowledge. I suppose this comes from having a father that absolutely despised getting his hands dirty and so discouraged the same all my life. :)
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

For an ideal parallel fuel delivery setup, you almost want to have your FPR and delivery lines tee'd together at a junction/delivery block. What Dan did was buy an aeromotive adjustable fpr that has fuel delivery ports on it. He ran fuel in, I think two lines out, and there was also a return line on the FPR.

To do this with the stock FPR would be a bit difficult since it's designed to bolt to the fuel rail. You're better off going with an aftermarket FPR.

The main thing the parallel setup is supposed to help with is to prevent variances in pressure between the fuel delivery. Honestly though....unless you're pushing past 300 whp, I really don't think it's an issue as long as you have an adequate fuel pump.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I'm working on a car with an aftermarket fuel rail setup (hybrid ej257/ej207), and even with a FMIC it is a gigantic pain in the ass to do anything in the engine bay. He was running 300whp with a vf30, and now with an external wastegated VF22 we're hoping for a "bit" more. ;) I really feel the aftermarket fueling setup is unnecessary at his level, especially considering how much of a pain it is to work around..
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Gotcha! Thanks guys, this is great info. My #3 exhaust valves were burnt long before I ever installed the Walbro pump, so I guess I can wait until I'm "not satisfied" anymore with the VF36 + 5MT combo before even considering a parallel fuel rail setup.

I still think I have plenty of room; I relocated all the items necessary to install a TMIC (Saab 900 I believe), was unhappy with that and then went full custom FMIC with the Isuzu truck intercooler, so the TMIC area is still relatively clear in my engine bay. But all things considered, not a high priority until I'm even near my first power goal.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

I did it on my EJ22t, it wasn't all that bad but I did it the cheap way by using some of the factory hard piping, cutting it, double flaring it, and using high pressure fuel injection hose. I used an Aeromotive A1000 fuel pressure regulator for the fact it has 2 ins and 1 out. For the fuel coming in, I used a fuel y block from a company called Mr Gasket. I used a driver's side fuel rail on the passenger side so I could bolt a hard line onto the end where the factory fuel pressure regulatory would normally be. It all fits fine under the intake manifold and I have the Aeromotive bolted to the driver's side of the Intake manifold. You can't even tell that its any different than stock besides the Aeromotive. I mainly did it to increase the longevity of the engine but I admit it is overkill. But it leaves me room to grow as it will be needed for my future plans.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Outback- EJ25D/22e frankenmotor
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
98 Silver Legacy GT- Pikes Peak build, built EJ22t/205, GT3076r
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Do you have any pictures of the setup?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

+1 id like to see a pic too, sounds just like what I should eventually do...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

I'll take some pics tonight, I won't be able to show under the manifold but there's nothing really to see besides the hose.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

Here is a look at how I joined the factory hardline with the fuel hose on the driver's side. I used a double flaring tool to give the hose something to seal well around.

Then on the passenger side, I kept the hardline going to cylinder # 1 pretty much untouched except where it joins the fuel hose basically right behind where the AC pump sits, under the intake manifold. For the back of the passenger rail, I used a hardline that originally was for cyl # 2 if I remember right and it joins the fuel hose in the same area as the other passenger line.

This is where to fuel comes in from the fuel filter to the Y block with the gauge, then one line goes to passenger side, one to driver's side.

Then the return lines from each side join the Aeromotive on the driver's side of the Intake Manifold which I used the bracket that comes with the Aeromotive, and bolted it to the bracket that holds the spark plug wires by drilling a couple holes.

I just so happen to have the rails out right now to replace the O rings on the injectors, so here is a shot of the two driver's side rails I'm using.

93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Awesome, nice job and writeup! Definitely bookmarked for future reference. Thank you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

Thanks, I plan to upgrade it a little more in the future. This was kind of an experiment to see if it would work well. When I first got it together, I honestly expected leaks but have had no problems. To upgrade it, I plan on having AN fittings welded/brazed onto the factory rail flanges then using AN fittings used to join everything or just upgrade the fuel rails which already have AN fittings. Stainless braided lines look nice and all but can be expensive and is unneeded so I'll probably stick with high pressure fuel hose.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
carfreak85
First Gear

Post by carfreak85 »

BoostedSubie wrote:Here are pics...
Pics are dead...
1975 Superstar Wagon
1984 GL-10 Turbo-Traction Wagon & Hardtop
1987 & '87.5 RX coupes
1987 RX Type-RA
2002 WRX sedan
2019 Outback 2.5i Limited
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You could try the internet archive to see if this page with pictures were cached in the past.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT