car idling like crap

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

whitefcdrifter
In Neutral

car idling like crap

Post by whitefcdrifter »

So my buddy and i added cams 'delta cams 220 grind' to my 91 legacy with a na 91 ej22 when we added them we also did all new seals, it has stock headers and cat to custom 2.5 piping then stock 02 wrx exhaust, auto zone spark plug wires ngk plugs,fram or k and n replacement intake filter can't remember what brand,

Idle was prefect, then we added the cams and it wants to hunt for idle its weird like ill start car and it. Will idle fine just a little low but ill give it gas and when i let off it wil start raising and droping over and over sometimes I can hold the gas to make idle fine and let off and it will start idling ok again when I let off

Don't know what's going on ive read about people putting this in and everything being fine, people have been telling me about a neon coil pack upgrade and stuff before throwing money at it I wanted to try a subaru forum Haha

Thanks,
Eric
91 legacy- lifted turbo Frankenstein
87 244 - drift build in process - ex dd
82 starlet- 4agte
78 510 - dd
rallyak
Third Gear

Re: car idling like crap

Post by rallyak »

I would take IAC off and clean it good . I have almost the same setup in mine and clean it about once a year or when it starts hunting for idle.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
whitefcdrifter
In Neutral

Post by whitefcdrifter »

Thank you ill trying cleaning it, before i remove it I got some seafoam laying around should I try that? If i end up taking it off to clean what should I use?

Thanks, Eric
82 starlet- 4agte
78 510 - dd
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

I always use that cheap purple power degreeser from wal-mart and spray it in side where the valve is and let it work . A brush works good to get up in deep (very small brush) and keep spraying it tell you don't see any more greese coming out rince with water dry it and I always hit with brake clean (it drys fast). Also don't take off two screws on top that holds the sensor on, its hard to put back on and if you did already use a heat gun or hair dryer to heat the coil spring up and slide it back on. I hope this helps. I'm sure others may do it different but this works for me.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Just a quick question for you.....is this a non-turbo motor?

The 220 cams are meant for the turbo motor. Delta would be able to provide you better information as to what the differences are between the turbo & non-turbo grind.

The cams will affect idle, there's just no way around that. The non-turbo cams may work better, so my recommedation would be to contact Delta.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
whitefcdrifter
In Neutral

Post by whitefcdrifter »

It's a na, my buddy that installed then was the cam grinder that did them Haha I live right up the street from delta, he installed them in his old na as well and had no problems at all, I'm dropping it off tomorrow at pacific import auto to see if they can figure it out they do legit work
82 starlet- 4agte
78 510 - dd
whitefcdrifter
In Neutral

Post by whitefcdrifter »

Steve the owner tinkered with it, adjusted my iacv and made my idle alot better, said my cylinder 4 injector is crapping out and recommended doing new plugs and fuel filter, had some scanner hooked up to it, didn't charge me either:)

Ima run seafoam through, do an oil and filter change and plugs and fuel filter
82 starlet- 4agte
78 510 - dd
whitefcdrifter
In Neutral

Post by whitefcdrifter »

Injector crapped out this morning on the way to work Haha